How many pros are on this team? | Syracusefan.com

How many pros are on this team?

Orangemen

All Conference
A good judge of a teams NC chances is how many pros they have. How many do you think we have?

I'd say 4 sure fire pros

MCW
Rak
Grant
Coleman

I see 2 more who will get a shot
Cooney (4 years of what we saw yesterday and he moves up to the sure fire group, maybe he should be there right now)
JS (that shot and that height will earn a long look at least)

Fair has a very effective college game, not sure that it translates to the next level, but who knows.

A good judge of a teams NC chances is how many pros they have. How many do you think we have?

I'd say 4 sure fire pros

MCW
Rak
Grant
Coleman

I see 2 more who will get a shot
Cooney (4 years of what we saw yesterday and he moves up to the sure fire group, maybe he should be there right now)
JS (that shot and that height will earn a long look at least)

Fair has a very effective college game, not sure that it translates to the next level, but who knows.

Let's hope none because if there are we will surely get put on probation....

If you mean the NBA:

MCW and Grant

By "pros", I assume you mean NBA. Eric Devendorf is a "pro" but not at the highest level. Let me go through the 9 scholarship players as I see them right now:

CENTERS

Baye Moussa Keita: He knows how to play the game and has added some strength but he'll never be an NBA-style monster in the apint. He's not from here and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing abroad.

Rakeem Christmas: He's showing some athletic ability and offensive moves we didn't see last year. I can see him matruing into an NBA player over 3-4 years. But he won't be a center. He'll need to develop a jump shot.

DaJuan Coleman: I don't think he's much more than 6-8. He's clearly a center, not a forward. And you just don't see 6-8 NBA centers anymore.

FORWARDS

C. J. Fair: I thought he might mature into a star quality player but I think his real niche is to be a strong supporting player, a guy who does a lot of things for you and is always around the ball. I don't think that will be enough for an NBA career.

James Southerland: He's got the body and he's got the shot. It's all about consistency. 9 treys in one game followed by 0 for 10 won't do it.

Jerami Grant: He's join his father and his uncle with a long NBA career. I don't know if he'll be a star but he'll play.

GUARDS

Brandon Triche: An "Alice's Restaurant" type player: you can get anything you want: a three pointer, a drive to the basket, a rebound, some free throws, good defesne. Good all-around college player. But the league tends to look for guys who are really great at something and BT isn't. He'll need a passport.

Michael Carter-Williams: Great court vision and passing ability. Long arms. Tall but quick. Can make the trey and can dunk. He was born to play this game. The big issue is whether he'll go too early, before he has a chance to build himself up and get stronger and learn to harness his talents and avoid turnovers. He's still a work in progress. I think he'll leave after this year but it will be too early and his career will suffer for it. I hope I'm wrong.

Trevor Cooney: He can drain the outside shot, (ignore the rough start: that's ancient history already). He can dunk with both hands. He's great at playing the passing lanes. He's a basketball palyer, not just a shooter. He'll be an All-American if he stays here 3-4 years and will have a definate shot at the league.

By "pros", I assume you mean NBA. Eric Devendorf is a "pro" but not at the highest level. Let me go through the 9 scholarship players as I see them right now:

CENTERS

Baye Moussa Keita: He knows how to play the game and has added some strength but he'll never be an NBA-style monster in the apint. He's not from here and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing abroad.

Rakeem Christmas: He's showing some athletic ability and offensive moves we didn't see last year. I can see him matruing into an NBA player over 3-4 years. But he won't be a center. He'll need to develop a jump shot.

DaJuan Coleman: I don't think he's much more than 6-8. He's clearly a center, not a forward. And you just don't see 6-8 NBA centers anymore.

FORWARDS

C. J. Fair: I thought he might mature into a star quality player but I think his real niche is to be a strong supporting player, a guy who does a lot of things for you and is always around the ball. I don't think that will be enough for an NBA career.

James Southerland: He's got the body and he's got the shot. It's all about consistency. 9 treys in one game followed by 0 for 10 won't do it.

Jerami Grant: He's join his father and his uncle with a long NBA career. I don't know if he'll be a star but he'll play.

GUARDS

Brandon Triche: An "Alice's Restaurant" type player: you can get anything you want: a three pointer, a drive to the basket, a rebound, some free throws, good defesne. Good all-around college player. But the league tends to look for guys who are really great at something and BT isn't. He'll need a passport.

Michael Carter-Williams: Great court vision and passing ability. Long arms. Tall but quick. Can make the trey and can dunk. He was born to play this game. The big issue is whether he'll go too early, before he has a chance to build himself up and get stronger and learn to harness his talents and avoid turnovers. He's still a work in progress. I think he'll leave after this year but it will be too early and his career will suffer for it. I hope I'm wrong.

Trevor Cooney: He can drain the outside shot, (ignore the rough start: that's ancient history already). He can dunk with both hands. He's great at playing the passing lanes. He's a basketball palyer, not just a shooter. He'll be an All-American if he stays here 3-4 years and will have a definate shot at the league.
Generally agree, though regarding DC2, Zach Randolph has played some center and he's 6-9 at best. I also think DaJuan could turn into a four, he just needs to get on the Ricky Jackson senior season workout program.

I think DC is going to leave early and be passed over completely in the 1st round.

When you use the words "sure fire", I'd say 1.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The only one who will have a career is MCW, and possibly Grant. Fair, and Rak may get drafted and hang around on a roster for a year or 2, but that's it. Which is totally fine don't get me wrong. Can see Southerland signing as undrafted free agent and bounce around for a year. With that said all 9 will play basketball somewhere in the world into their 30's if they choose.

We have sure fire prospects, we have a few that have a chance to be a prospect, we have 1 sure fire NBA
player.

If Cooney ever shows he can play a little point, I'd bet on him playing in the league. He's strong, works hard, he can obviously shoot, he's a good athlete, and as he showed last night he is SMART. His threes were nice but man did I love some of the decisions he made with the ball.

If you mean the NBA:

MCW and Grant
I think that's pretty close. I will say three -- MCW and two of Rak, Grant, and Fair.

I think DC is going to leave early and be passed over completely in the 1st round.

If he were to leave early, there's very little doubt he'd be passed over completely. Hopefully he has some decent people advising him.

Let's hope none because if there are we will surely get put on probation....
Exactly what I was about to say!

I would bet that all 9 active scholarship players play professionally, but as far as the NBA, I think there are 4 tiers:

1. Sure thing, barring injury: MCW

2. Looks like they have a valuable NBA skill, but far from a sure thing: Rak has the size & athleticism to be a defense & rebounding 4, but he isn't there yet. Dirty has the tools to be a "3 and D" wing, but he's a longshot

3. No real NBA skill: Brandon, CJ and Baye

4. Not enough data yet on the three freshman to say one way or another

I can see CJ getting a shot atleast. His scoring average isn't the best and he will have a tough time playing a perimeter role without the handle and extending to NBA range. But he has alot going for him.

He is already 4-10 from outside and looks more confident then KJO ever was from out there. Hes strong,very toned weighing more then Harrison Barnes who is also 6'8. That being said hes only a Jr.
Just get him in the right system on a team that likes to run some motion and with a Center or PF who likes to step out.