How quickly things change... | Syracusefan.com

How quickly things change...

Hoov50

Starter
Not too long ago looking through my orange tinted goggles at a 25-0 team I had us pegged as a lock for the Final Four. Somehow I was able to overlook the lack of offense in all games against decent opponents with the exception of one (Duke at the Dome). Now my orange tinted goggles are smashed to pieces and my only concern is not being the 3 or 4 seed who loses in round one and is the poster child for March Madness upsets for this season.

I didn't have a great feeling going into last year's NCAA Tournament, but I felt better about our chances then than I do right now. I know the NCAA Tournament is all about matchups and to a certain extent luck, but I feel like we need some really favorable matchups and a lot of luck to make any sort of run unless things start to click and we can figure out how to make some shots between now and Thursday.

Not too long ago looking through my orange tinted goggles at a 25-0 team I had us pegged as a lock for the Final Four. Somehow I was able to overlook the lack of offense in all games against decent opponents with the exception of one (Duke at the Dome). Now my orange tinted goggles are smashed to pieces and my only concern is not being the 3 or 4 seed who loses in round one and is the poster child for March Madness upsets for this season.

I didn't have a great feeling going into last year's NCAA Tournament, but I felt better about our chances then than I do right now. I know the NCAA Tournament is all about matchups and to a certain extent luck, but I feel like we need some really favorable matchups and a lot of luck to make any sort of run unless things start to click and we can figure out how to make some shots between now and Thursday.

Scoring/hitting shots is tied to confidence. Right now we pretty much have none. We are reeling. Hopefully we get a team that is a horrific 3 point shooting team, so that we can try to not be behind early for the first time in like 3 weeks. Playing with an early lead would probably do so much for us.

Same here. Very empty feeling going into the NCAA Tournament. We just do not have any go to player. Seems like recently we keep saying Fair or Ennis or Cooney or someone is having an off night but that has been too common of an experience lately. Thank goodness for Grant tonight or this would not even have been close. I do not think the NCAA Committee can give NC ST a lot of credit for a win tonight when it was actually Syracuse (except for Grant) totally crapping the bed. The last 5 seconds was embarrassing, but so were the prior 39 minutes and 55 seconds. Way to really demonstrate toughplay in the conference tournament. What a joke.

NC State is the least clutch team in the country. Wasting a timeout because no one is there to inbound the ball to, turning the ball over (when that was just about the only possible way for them to lose), and a knucklehead point guard who takes it to the hoop up three when they could have run the clock under 10 seconds. Yet, still, we were unable to win the game!

I was hoping at this time of the season people would be laughing at me when I was questioning our offense and the distorted record. Wish I was wrong.

Scoring/hitting shots is tied to confidence. Right now we pretty much have none. We are reeling. Hopefully we get a team that is a horrific 3 point shooting team, so that we can try to not be behind early for the first time in like 3 weeks. Playing with an early lead would probably do so much for us.
I agree about the whole confidence thing, but in the first half tonight we held NC State without a FG for about 5 minutes and were only ahead 9-7. Tonight was a chance to get some confidence back. Last year's team was offensively inept at times, but when they held a team without a FG for that long they would build on the lead and be ahead by 10-12 points. Right now we don't have that mentality.

Most teams when they are trailing late in games they try to extend the game and get as many possessions as possible. We seem like we are trying to get as few as possible even when trailing. I am all for playing under control but we have taken it to the extreme this year.

Shouldn't we have had confidence after the FSt win?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom