How Syracuse basketball will free up a scholarship for one more 2015 recruit | Syracusefan.com

How Syracuse basketball will free up a scholarship for one more 2015 recruit

"Since winning the National Championship in 2003, every single Syracuse team has had a player with remaining eligibility depart before or during the season. In that time, 40 percent of non-walk-on players have left early for one reason or another."

Wow. If you had asked me to guess without giving it a lot of thought I never would have thrown out a number that high. Maybe we should gear up the recruiting machine and get after more than just Bryant and Jones.

I don't see anybody going pro early. My guess is that we lose a guy due to transfer or, hopefully not, Coleman's injury ends his career early.

Btw, what the heck are we doing for Centers? How I see it right now, we could very possibly end up starting a PF at Center for 2 years if Coleman can't go and assuming Obokoh will never be 'starter' caliber. I'm okay with not having a traditional, big body Center but it would be nice to have somebody with previous experience at the position and 100% dedicated to playing/learning it.

"Since winning the National Championship in 2003, every single Syracuse team has had a player with remaining eligibility depart before or during the season. In that time, 40 percent of non-walk-on players have left early for one reason or another."

Wow. If you had asked me to guess without giving it a lot of thought I never would have thrown out a number that high. Maybe we should gear up the recruiting machine and get after more than just Bryant and Jones.

It does sound high.

To correct the author, though, I can't think of anyone who left early during or after the 2004 season.

It does sound high.

To correct the author, though, I can't think of anyone who left early during or after the 2004 season.
Melo left before the 03-04 season.
Edelin's last game was in February of the 04-05 season.
Dayshawn Wright was declared academically ineligible prior to the 05-06 season & eventually left SU.
--
Louie McCroskey left prior to the 06-07 season & Mike Jones left during that season.
geez, this is depressing, I don't think I want to look up the rest of them
--
Devin Brennan-McBride (was he on scholarship?) left the team after fall semester of the 07-08 season, Josh Wright also quit in mid-season
--
Donte Greene left the team prior to the 08-09 season
Flynn, Devendorf & Paul Harris all left prior to the 09-10 season
Wes Johnson left prior to the 10-11 season

Last edited:
I don't see anybody going pro early. My guess is that we lose a guy due to transfer or, hopefully not, Coleman's injury ends his career early.

Btw, what the heck are we doing for Centers? How I see it right now, we could very possibly end up starting a PF at Center for 2 years if Coleman can't go and assuming Obokoh will never be 'starter' caliber. I'm okay with not having a traditional, big body Center but it would be nice to have somebody with previous experience at the position and 100% dedicated to playing/learning it.

There is ZERO chance CM5 is here past one year.

Edelin?

That must be the player he's thinking of.

Maybe it's a semantic disagreement; Edelin didn't play out the string in 2004, but he was on the team in 2005. To me he'd count as an early departure in 2005 and just a guy who missed games while remaining on the team after the 2004 season.

For some reason I found that fascinating. And it really had not dawned on me how many players have left early the past 10+ years though its really nothing new (Hughes, Duncan, Roe, Spann, Howard, Papadakos, Gelatt, Lazor, Lloyd, Bland, Harris, Sekunda, Manning etc.). None of these went to the NBA either.

Some of those guys could play too (of the 13 I list I'd say 9 were players). So, not to drive anyone away, if I were to guess which current Orangemen would leave I'd have to say Patterson or BJ if they don't find a role this coming season could leave for PT elsewhere. Coleman would have to be a health issue before he'd leave imo (unless he's healthy next year and realizes his potential). I think those are each more likley than Roberson going pro. Could also be McCullough, we'll see. Bottom line I think SU has room to sign Bryant or Jones.

There is ZERO chance CM5 is here past one year.

I'll admit the chance is there that he'll leave early, but I wouldn't say it's guaranteed. I think he's an incredibly talented player but nobody knows what he'll do in college ball. And he hasn't dominated AAU level competition to the point that I would say with certainty he's a one-and-doner.

I'll admit the chance is there that he'll leave early, but I wouldn't say it's guaranteed. I think he's an incredibly talented player but nobody knows what he'll do in college ball. And he hasn't dominated AAU level competition to the point that I would say with certainty he's a one-and-doner.
I scoffed at those that suggested that Ennis was a one and done. But like Liam Neeson in Taken he "had a particular set of skills" that are in demand in the NBA. The only reason i'm not jumping on the CM 1 and done bandwagon is that #19 ranked recruits are not usually 1 and done. We shall see.

(Hughes, Duncan, Roe, Spann, Howard, Papadakos, Gelatt, Lazor, Lloyd, Bland, Harris, Sekunda, Manning etc.). None of these went to the NBA either.

Looks like only Manning had any run in the NBA

Then a look at the others pro experience

Richard Manning played 2 years in the NBA

Keith Hughes was drafted by Houston, traded to Cleveland and played professionally overseas

Earl Duncan played in the CBA for several years

Matt Roe played in the CBA & Europe from 1991-1997

Sam Spann played in Finland, New Zealand, Australia & Saudi Arabia

Following college, Tony Bland would play in the USBL, Europe (Russia), and the NBDL. Bland would be Rookie of the Year in the USBL in 2004.

Bobby Lazor was drafted in the 6th round of the 1999 CBA draft by the Grand Rapids Hoops.

Glenn Sekunda would play professional basketball in Europe for 10+ seasons

Ramel Lloyd would play in the NBDL in the 2001-02 season for Fayetteville. He would play for several international leagues including Venezuela, the Philippines, and the Dominican Republic. He would play some basketball for the Harlem Globetrotters. He would finish his professional career with the Orange County Buzz of the ABA.

LaSean Howard

You hit on 8 of the 9 I thought of as "players" as far as college is concerned (only didn't mention Anthony Harris who averaged 22 pts a game at Hawaii). My point about the NBA was that none of them went to the NBA straight from SU. As you illustrate none of them really became NBA players but several had successful professional careers. The transfer I missed the most was Sekunda who was a solid all around player thyat coudl shot that SU could have used. Manning and Roe were the most mystifying because they were exactly what SU was missing the year after each left.

Maybe nobody has to leave in order to add Bryant:
  • SU Tuition Waiver Program – An Eligible Dependent who is matriculated and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Syracuse University may apply to receive a tuition waiver. The waiver can be applied only to the minimum number of credit hours required for completion of the first baccalaureate degree. The value of the tuition waiver will be provided in accordance with the schedule identified in the Syracuse University Dependent Tuition Policy.
Let's just hire one of his parents!

This all rubs me the wrong way. I don't see someone leaving early and to count on a roster spot, at this point, means they are willing to get rid of someone...I'd hate to be that someone. This is a little Calhoun-ish to me.

This all rubs me the wrong way. I don't see someone leaving early and to count on a roster spot, at this point, means they are willing to get rid of someone...I'd hate to be that someone. This is a little Calhoun-ish to me.

I disagree. The two guys we are looking at (Bryant/ Jones) are not likely to make a decision on their college choice until next Spring. By then, we may have an open spot or at the very least a better idea of our roster makeup.

That must be the player he's thinking of.

Maybe it's a semantic disagreement; Edelin didn't play out the string in 2004, but he was on the team in 2005. To me he'd count as an early departure in 2005 and just a guy who missed games while remaining on the team after the 2004 season.

Its not semantics. We're talking about scholarship unexpectedly becoming available, not players missing games. His scholarship wasn't available in 2005 because he was back.

Its not semantics. We're talking about scholarship unexpectedly becoming available, not players missing games. His scholarship wasn't available in 2005 because he was back.

Exactly - so no one left early in 2004.

I dunno, sounds a little more to me like just being pragmatic. Let's face it, college sport has changed. And even despite that, happens. The track record at SU supports being circumspect on this. If the players' primary responsibility is to themselves, there's certainly nothing wrong with focusing on the program as the primary responsibility of those who run it.

At this time last year we would have never guessed that Ennis would go pro after one year either. A lot of people thought he was a 4 year guy, so not seeing anybody going pro at this point is meaningless. We may end up with a PF at center, but that's pretty much what we've had (Christmas is a Center in skill set, but is physically a PF), and that's the college basketball landscape right now anyway. If the guy can play defense, rebound, and score down low, it doesn't matter what position label he has. Diagne will be fine there, if that ends up being his home.

Im with the folks who said Jone and/or Bryant may not decide until "late", and our situation will be a lot more clear by then. If I wanted to be ultra positive, I would like to think our murkey scholarship availability might be a contributing factor to such.

Our latest player signing still is a real head scratcher to me though, with us still being in the hunt for those two.