How the coaching change affects the QB race | Syracusefan.com

How the coaching change affects the QB race

SUinNYC

2nd String
Before the coaching change, I felt pretty confident that we'd see Loeb lining up as the starter at QB next season. Even with Zach Allen (RIP) waiting in the wings, I thought that Charley had the best combination of skills, practice experience and playbook knowledge to win the job.

But now...I think things are shaken up a bit. I think the coaching change means new terminology, new plays, potentially the whole shebang. So, I think this really opens the door for Hunt. I've heard good things about him in practice and a new system and new coaches could mean a new opportunity for him. Especially considering he missed spring practice last year and ended up getting behind.

What say you guys?

Before the coaching change, I felt pretty confident that we'd see Loeb lining up as the starter at QB next season. Even with Zach Allen (RIP) waiting in the wings, I thought that Charley had the best combination of skills, practice experience and playbook knowledge to win the job.

But now...I think things are shaken up a bit. I think the coaching change means new terminology, new plays, potentially the whole shebang. So, I think this really opens the door for Hunt. I've heard good things about him in practice and a new system and new coaches could mean a new opportunity for him. Especially considering he missed spring practice last year and ended up getting behind.

What say you guys?

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago before George McDaddy was even hired similar to this one, and I agree. Less preconceived bias a more open competition and evaluation process, I think the qb's currently on the roster should be pumped to go out and give all they got to earn the right to be the next start Orange qb.

:rolleyes:

I just hope its not pre determined and they let the best man win the job.

Whoever is the best player and can win the most games should be the QB.

Whoever is the best player and can win the most games should be the QB.

That might be the worst idea I've ever read. Where on earth did you get that horrible thought? :)

QB competition was wide open anyway -- Loeb has experience as the back-up; Hunt supposed did well with the scout team. Depends on who can make the throws, avoid the pass rush, and on occasion make things happen with his feet.

As for changes with the new OC, too soon to say. McDonald has been a WR coach -- he has a young but experienced QB coach (who has been an OC and HC). With all the focus on recruiting, they haven't had time to sit and talk about March.

I wonder, though, whether McDonald will want a completely new system. He has a lot of returning experience -- players who had success with the 2012 system. March will be interesting.

The coaching change has helped Hunt the most IMO. I think the old staff was ready and willing to give the job to Loeb. The new offensive staff has no prior bias so now, the best man should win the job.

The new offense, will be more spread than last year, meaning that we will probably need a more athletic QB. Hunt is probably the most athletic choice. Most people here seem to think that Loeb is not mobile, that is not the case, he is much more athletic than Nassib. I wouldn't just assume Loeb loses the job.

The biggest thing that works against Loeb, that if it close, the new staff may want a QB they can work with for more than one year.

In high school we got a new baseball coach for my junior year. I got a fair tryout and made the team because I wasn't just "that scrawny kid from gym class" anymore. Too bad I stunk that season, but it was fun to make the team.

No one has been annointed the 2013 starter yet. That is why Spring/Summer practice will be so amazing for the fans of this program.

May the best man win, and more importantly, win often...

I thought I had read somewhere that GMD was going to learn the offense terminology so that the kids did not have relearn everything.

I thought I had read somewhere that GMD was going to learn the offense terminology so that the kids did not have relearn everything.
Interesting...

Now that is novel. A coach changing things around to make sure his players aren't confused. This is something that may snowball into catching fire.

I could be wrong but I thought was Bullough and the Defensive staff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom