How to Direct a game | Syracusefan.com

How to Direct a game

Tobias Funke

All Conference
Thought some may find this interesting. I have a friend who is a director for TNT and he doesn't many NBA games, and the NCAA tournament. I constantly ask him questions about camera angles and decisions on why they do those silly side by sides with interviews. He is getting on Twitter live today with his buddy Ernie Johnson and thought some may find it interesting to get some perspective from inside the TV truck.
Today at 2ET. @ATLipper and he owns the J school today. pic.twitter.com/uiJ3HGPrDs
— Ernie Johnson (@TurnerSportsEJ) April 8, 2020

How do they ALWAYS manage to catch Boeheim playing with his nose?
So I have asked him this, and he hasn't done a ton of Cuse games, but he did say that they all know coaches habits and for fun highlight them. Sometimes they even make a game of it.

How about, when a guy is going for a breakaway dunk, why do they switch to the directly under basket or over the basket view just as he is about to throw it in? I hate the sudden change and you lose perspective about how high he is. I know it's supposed to make you feel like you're courtside. It doesn't.

One thing he said today, and he has said to me many times. He tries to avoid making any quick changes that will adjust the viewers perception on big plays. In his mind he doesn't take big risks with camera shots that many of his peers might. He is a little old school and feels like many directors get enamored with a ton of movement as opposed to capturing the play as it happens. He hates doing too many cutaways to the bench or coaches because it increases the risk of missing a great play in realtime.

As for the question about crowds and coaches he often takes cues from the announcers on those and tries to fit his shots into their banter.

One thing he said today, and he has said to me many times. He tries to avoid making any quick changes that will adjust the viewers perception on big plays. In his mind he doesn't take big risks with camera shots that many of his peers might. He is a little old school and feels like many directors get enamored with a ton of movement as opposed to capturing the play as it happens. He hates doing too many cutaways to the bench or coaches because it increases the risk of missing a great play in realtime.

As for the question about crowds and coaches he often takes cues from the announcers on those and tries to fit his shots into their banter.
Many could learn from him. I wonder sometimes if the guys making decisions are actually sports fans or if they just want to show how complex they can make things. I like your guy.

Many could learn from him. I wonder sometimes if the guys making decisions are actually sports fans or if they just want to show how complex they can make things. I like your guy.
I think your point is really good. He is a huge sports fan so he views it from a fan perspective. It just a technical perspective.