How vulnerable are major programs to a coach leaving? | Syracusefan.com

How vulnerable are major programs to a coach leaving?

Sorry if this has been posted. But Andy Glockner seems to think we will be in pretty good shape with Hop. Not exactly earth shattering analysis but interesting nonetheless.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/07/05/brad-stevens-college-basketball-coaches/?sct=uk_t11_a4

The great thing about HCIWMH is that if he is successful, he is much more likely than others to view this as a destination job.

Coaching stability is so crucial and much taken for granted as an SU basketball fan.

The great thing about HCIWMH is that if he is successful, he is much more likely than others to view this as a destination job.

Coaching stability is so crucial and much taken for granted as an SU basketball fan.
What schools out there are "destination jobs"? I'll define a destination job as one where, if he is enjoying moderate success, the coach won't leave for another college job. North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas (Roy leaving was an example of the "when Momma's calling, you gotta go home" exception), Kentucky, Louisville, who else?
Syracuse. I think that whoever coaches SU will either a) achieve success for 20+ years, or b) be successful & leave for pro ball or c) not be successful & get fired.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Well, UNC was sure vulnerable in the immediate post Dean Smith years. They had a couple of clunkers there before Roy came home.

Bill Guthridge always gets a bad rap, but the guy went to 2 final fours in his 3 years.

What schools out there are "destination jobs"? I'll define a destination job as one where, if he is enjoying moderate success, the coach won't leave for another college job. North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas (Roy leaving was an example of the "when Momma's calling, you gotta go home" exception), Kentucky, Louisville, who else?
Syracuse. I think that whoever coaches SU will either a) achieve success for 20+ years, or b) be successful & leave for pro ball or c) not be successful & get fired.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Who else?
MSU, OSU, UMich., Florida. UCon. Georgetown, Arizona and Texas

Who else?
MSU, OSU, UMich., Florida. UCon. Georgetown, Arizona and Texas
Eh, Uconn, by definition not if they remain in the AAC. Could view them as a Zaga or Memphis but besides an Ollie who is an alum, other coaches would jump for a good Big 5 gig.

Bill Guthridge always gets a bad rap, but the guy went to 2 final fours in his 3 years.

Yeah, Guthridge might not have assembled the talent himself, but at least he won. Other guys haven't been able to win with championship-caliber talent (consider his successor, for instance).

Yeah, Guthridge might not have assembled the talent himself, but at least he won. Other guys haven't been able to win with championship-caliber talent (consider his successor, for instance).

The 99 run he was on the bubble, then the draw fell into their laps.

But I get the bigger point, if they can have issues, anyone can.

Sometimes I think that the fact that he lost in the final four with THAT team in 1998 is an indictment of Gut.