how "young" is this team? | Syracusefan.com

how "young" is this team?

moqui

generational talent
we think of freshman as teenagers, but su's incoming freshman are for the most part pretty old for frosh; girard is the only 18 year old in the freshman class
  • quincy turned 20 in may
  • brycen turned 20 in september
  • jba turns 20 in december
  • jesse will turn 20 during march madness
so, yes, they are inexperienced. but as a whole they are pretty mature. whether or not that helps them get up to speed faster than the average freshman class remains to be seen

i'm hopeful. why not?

Last edited:
we think of freshman as teenagers, but su's incoming freshman are for the most part pretty old for frosh; girard is the only 18 year old in the freshman class
so, yes, they are inexperienced. but as a whole they are pretty mature. whether or not that helps them get up to speed faster than the average freshman class remains to be seen

i'm hopeful. why not?

Good point. I remember some of the years that we had trouble with Pitt in the 00’s, a lot of their guys were like 22-24 years old. Then we were on the other end of that in 2010 when Rautins, AO, and Wes were all older than many college players. It showed.

Would love to have some 23 year old seniors in a few years.

All college teams are young. Some of them have more experience at this level than others.

i'm hopeful. why not?
it can be a positive or negative right? maybe additional development is good, but if they are so good why are they 20 and haven't played a minute in college yet?

it can be a positive or negative right? maybe additional development is good, but if they are so good why are they 20 and haven't played a minute in college yet?

because they are either from Canada or went to a good prep school to fine tune their skills

because they are either from Canada or went to a good prep school to fine tune their skills
at the end of the day it is the same thing, if they were good enough to play younger they would have. hopefully the extra time makes us better and I really hope that these "young" guys eligibility-wise pan out.

jba & edwards are foreign born, picked up the game late, and had to make sure their academic transcripts met ncaa muster. academics the same for quincy. you'll notice that many canadian players opt to spend a year or more prepping in the u.s.
brycen, i don't know his story, but he came out of st. andrews, the same school that sent us michael carter-williams, who also turned 20 "before he played a minute of college ball."

Can only carry this "old" freshman stuff so far.
G-town turned it into a racket.
When the Big East started they had a center named Ed Spriggs.
The party line was that he was a mailman and Thompson found him and he enrolled..
Meantime, the guy was about 34.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom