Howard Washington ACL Surgery Successful | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington ACL Surgery Successful

So, I'm guessing this, combined with his presence on the sidelines relatively soon after the original injury, means that the injury was not as bad as first reported?

So, I'm guessing this, combined with his presence on the sidelines relatively soon after the original injury, means that the injury was not as bad as first reported?
Torn ACL.
It was announced as a bad injury when it happened.
You can walk with a torn ACL before surgery to reattach it you just can’t cut.

Yep. Timeline is much better.

6 months for a torn ACL seems extremely optimistic. I feel like 9 months is the best case which means November.

I agree, redshirt him.

Carey, Howard and Hughes can handle the guard spots. And if worst comes to worst and someone gets hurt and we need him January, burn the redshirt and play him.

That RS season for Scoop did wonders for his development.
I hope Washington gets a RS and comes back in 2 years like Scoop.

Buddy can be the 4th guard.

I hear ya. The goal is to compete in the fall for a role in '18-19 if the rehab goes well. There are degrees to these sorts of injuries and as I said, he avoided a really bad one.

Certainly, we do have a glut of guards but the numbers might not be too much if we don't have all of our forwards back. In that case, Hughes could be more of a 3. Suddenly, we'd only have 3 guards if HW redshirts.

He dodged a bullet. Injury was nowhere as bad as initially feared. There is optimism he could be ready to go in the fall.
So he didn’t dislocate it?

6 months for a torn ACL seems extremely optimistic. I feel like 9 months is the best case which means November.

I agree, redshirt him.

Carey, Howard and Hughes can handle the guard spots. And if worst comes to worst and someone gets hurt and we need him January, burn the redshirt and play him.
So he didn’t dislocate it?

There are degrees of injuries. He's fortunate.

No.

Last edited:
Maybe Cuseregular can chime in here about the various degrees of ACL tears and their recovery times after surgery.

Agreed, if we dont I think well look back his Jr/Sr year and wish we did.

I tend to agree but if he's ready to resume basketball activities in September, he's not going to want to take a shirt. If he winds up not being ready by November, I think a redshirt is a no-brainer.

I tend to agree but if he's ready to resume basketball activities in September, he's not going to want to take a shirt. If he winds up not being ready by November, I think a redshirt is a no-brainer.
Yeah if a kid doesn't want to shirt JB won't shirt him, that's been proven in the past.

He should RS next year.

Howard
Carey
Hughes
Buddy Boeheim.

No RS for Buddy.
Battle?

Haha sorry...just had to do it...please no one spin-off and talk about how unready he is for the NBA...there’s already ten other threads for that!

That RS season for Scoop did wonders for his development.
I hope Washington gets a RS and comes back in 2 years like Scoop.

Buddy can be the 4th guard.
Plus if he redshirts, he can spend the entire year in the weightroom. He's another that needs strength. He's got decent height. If he bulks up, he could be a big, physical guard.

A redshirt year could be a blessing for him as he has quite some muscle to gain and comfort in the offense/zone to acquire

I agree, redshirt him.

Agree. Granted different sport, but Iowa safety Brandon Snyder came back from an ACL tear in 6 months this past year and tore it again his first game back. No need for Howard to rush back and have that happen

Tough to improve if you’re recovering from an injury for almost the whole off season though. Coming off a major injury+not able to work on game for 6-9 months + deeper backcourt + were already struggling to get minutes...I hope if it’s pretty clear that he’s unlikely to get much time next year, that he is patient enough to play the long game. No reason to rush through 4 years of eligibility when almost 1/4 of it was spent being hurt.

Tough to improve if you’re recovering from an injury for almost the whole off season though. Coming off a major injury+not able to work on game for 6-9 months + deeper backcourt + were already struggling to get minutes...I hope if it’s pretty clear that he’s unlikely to get much time next year, that he is patient enough to play the long game. No reason to rush through 4 years of eligibility when almost 1/4 of it was spent being hurt.

I agree. Perhaps at HW's post-season talk with JB that perspective will be made clear to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom