Hows that Wiggins trade working out for the Cavs? | Syracusefan.com

Hows that Wiggins trade working out for the Cavs?

The short answer is Jury's still out.
The longer answer is that the Cav's are a lot thinner at the 4 than they are at the 2. With the combination of Iman Shumpert, JR Smith, Mike Miller and James Jones they will be fine at the 2.
From all I've seen, Wiggins is a fine young man, in addition to being an incredible talent. This was one of those trades that benefitted everyone.

They are deeper at the 2 because they had to make moves. Waiter and now Love do not fit with Lebron and Irving. I think there is a god chance that Love leaves as a free agent. Caves would have been better off trading Thompson and Waiters for a rim protector and keeping Wiggins.

Or ya know, they coulda kept Wiggins then just got Love in the offseason. They still could have made the Mozgov trade and traded Dion for a big, not 2 SGs.

That trade is going to kill them when it's all said and done I think.

Or ya know, they coulda kept Wiggins then just got Love in the offseason. They still could have made the Mozgov trade and traded Dion for a big, not 2 SGs.

That trade is going to kill them when it's all said and done I think.
Pretty sure the Cav's could not offer the max contract Love will command at the end of the season. They're allowed more latitude to resign their own player.

And Wiggins is only 19.

Dumb trade at the time. Still dumb now.

You don't compound one star who is injury-prone and plays bad D with another star who is injury-prone and plays bad D.

And then rely on Andy Varejao to be your rim protector knowing he's even more injury-prone than the other guys.

It's amazing how easily people dismiss defensive capabilities in assessing a player's overall quality.

Pretty sure the Cav's could not offer the max contract Love will command at the end of the season. They're allowed more latitude to resign their own player.
You're right. But the only team that could offer Love the max in that scenario would be the Wolves, and I think it was a forgone conclusion he was gonna leave. If Love was all about teaming up with LeBron and Kyrie...I think he knew he might have to take a paycut.

I loved how at the time the trade was being discussed, nearly all the pundits were claiming the trade was a no brainer. As if Love were some transcendent all around player. He's a skilled big with a small man's repertoire. He's a fine player, just not the type of player you trade someone with Wiggins potential (both immediate and future) for.

I watched wiggins in person friday. He was fantastic. I never understood the nonbelievers in him. That trade has a chance at being all time bad.

And Wiggins is only 19.

Dumb trade at the time. Still dumb now.

You don't compound one star who is injury-prone and plays bad D with another star who is injury-prone and plays bad D.

And then rely on Andy Varejao to be your rim protector knowing he's even more injury-prone than the other guys.

It's amazing how easily people dismiss defensive capabilities in assessing a player's overall quality.[/QUOTE]

LOL It happens on this board almost everyday!

Does everyone really think that Wiggins would blossom as he has lately with the Wolves by playing with Lebron and Irving? He is doing well in iso's and post ups, but really don't think he would be doing that with Lebron and Irving

The longer answer is that the Cav's are a lot thinner at the 4 than they are at the 2. With the combination of Iman Shumpert, JR Smith, Mike Miller and James Jones they will be fine at the 2.
From all I've seen, Wiggins is a fine young man, in addition to being an incredible talent. This was one of those trades that benefitted everyone.
Love has not been a good fit for the Cavs.

Iman Shumpert, JR Smith, Mike Miller and James Jones

Thats depth in terms of numbers only. Those are some mighty crappy players.

osullfam said:
They didn't mind JR's 6 of 9 from 3 point land last night.

New team. Hasn't started sulking yet. He'll end up hurting them. That's what he does.

orangecuse said:
Are you confusing JR with Dion? :);)

They are similar that way - luckily Dion has less of a track record and theirs still hope ;)

The OP may be engaging in a bit of premature schadenfreude. Love no doubt had a rough start in Cleveland (new team, lot of new parts, injuries, chemistry, yada yada), but he still is averaging nearly 18 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 assists a game for a 22-20 team, Love's old team, Minnesota, is 7-33 with Wiggins' 15/4/2.

The Cavs seem to be getting it together. Getting LeBron back, and healthy, helped. The Mozgov pickup was huge. I'm looking forward to Shumpert becoming the starting 2 guard later this week. And the honeymoon is on for JR Swish. I so wanted Dion to work out alongside LBJ, et al., and I was not thrilled when the Cavs got JR, but he's fitting in quite nicely so far. I'm becoming a fan.

OKC/Dion at Cleveland Sunday afternoon should be fun.

I'm loving all of this. Lebron was a terrible GM before he left the Cavs (Hello 38 year old Shaq), and he's an even worse one now. Just goes to show how great Riley really is. Lebron looks so dissatisfied right now, and there is zero he can do. He can't leave Cleveland after this year or his legacy is tarnished forever as being a mercenary. He is stuck there.

The dude ran from greatness. It shows his true moral makeup. If he stayed in Miami he had a chance to be part of a dynasty. Bitter Heat fan here but oh man am I enjoying all of this.

And seriously, what the hell is up with the Hawks?!?! How are they this good.

I'm loving all of this. Lebron was a terrible GM before he left the Cavs (Hello 38 year old Shaq), and he's an even worse one now. Just goes to show how great Riley really is. Lebron looks so dissatisfied right now, and there is zero he can do. He can't leave Cleveland after this year or his legacy is tarnished forever as being a mercenary. He is stuck there.

The dude ran from greatness. It shows his true moral makeup. If he stayed in Miami he had a chance to be part of a dynasty. Bitter Heat fan here but oh man am I enjoying all of this.

And seriously, what the hell is up with the Hawks?!?! How are they this good.
That's a pretty amazing post.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling things will eventually turn out just fine for LeBron in Cleveland.

That's a pretty amazing post.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling things will eventually turn out just fine for LeBron in Cleveland.
true, but you have to eat your schadenfreude while its warm