Hughes 3 point shooting | Syracusefan.com

Hughes 3 point shooting

Has really fallen off. 31% in conference play. 9 for 42 in his last 6 games which is 21%. Hopefully the week off does the trick.
He was disappointing last night

His shot selection early in the clock has been abysmal. I get the concept of heat check but he hasn't been that hot to check that much.
I think when he takes 3s where he is open, set and close to the 3 point circle, he is an excellent shooter. When he takes them 5 or 10 foot from the 3 point circle, when he has someone in his face or when he is shooting off the dribble, his percentage falls dramatically.

I am disappointed in his shot selection this season. It sometimes looks like he is more focused on getting his points than in getting wins for the team. That said, he has also been exceedingly unselfish for most games most of the time.

I just think maybe he looks for his own shot too much in our biggest games.

To be fair to him, it has to be hard to run this offense. JGIII, Sidibe, Guerrier and Marek are all often reluctant to shoot, even when Elijah or someone else sets them up with a great pass. I would not be surprised if JB has told him if he has a shot, take it. But these 3s from 30 feet 6 shots into the shot clock, before anyone on Syracuse has a chance to get position under the basket, have really hurt the team. I hope adjustments are made.

He is trying to do too much. He is trying to carry the entire team on his shoulders when shots for others are not falling and when we try to climb back into the game. Ue is a highly talented athlete just doing all he can do to get us a W.

I think when he takes 3s where he is open, set and close to the 3 point circle, he is an excellent shooter. When he takes them 5 or 10 foot from the 3 point circle, when he has someone in his face or when he is shooting off the dribble, his percentage falls dramatically.

I am disappointed in his shot selection this season. It sometimes looks like he is more focused on getting his points than in getting wins for the team. That said, he has also been exceedingly unselfish for most games most of the time.

I just think maybe he looks for his own shot too much in our biggest games.

To be fair to him, it has to be hard to run this offense. JGIII, Sidibe, Guerrier and Marek are all often reluctant to shoot, even when Elijah or someone else sets them up with a great pass. I would not be surprised if JB has told him if he has a shot, take it. But these 3s from 30 feet 6 shots into the shot clock, before anyone on Syracuse has a chance to get position under the basket, have really hurt the team. I hope adjustments are made.
I don't think he is a point counter. I do think he starts thinking "uh oh we are in a drought, I am our best player I need to score I am taking the next open three I get". Not sure he trust everyone to a full extent yet.

I don't think he is a point counter. I do think he starts thinking "uh oh we are in a drought, I am our best player I need to score I am taking the next open three I get". Not sure he trust everyone to a full extent yet.
Agree.

elijah and buddy are 2 and 3 in the ACC in FG attempts ( 2 shots behind landers nolley) after 22 games.
that places them 45th and 72nd nationally. ( fwiw jimmy boeheim ranks 33rd).

We should definitely be trying to spread the shot attempts more equitably, can’t understand why Sidibe doesn’t get to take more?
Is the font you’re using to indicate sarcasm? I’m desperately hoping so.

Eli’s percentage drop is due to his shot selection. He’s taking 2-3 threes every game that he is either shooting too quick or off balance. His quick shots gives us no chance for a second rebound and it causes our offense to stagnate. We seem to have lulls in every game. We drove the all at will against a Duke and had success, but too many trips resulted in hurried or missed threes.

The numbers on offense don’t show that to be true. This is our best offensive team in 8 years.
Are they better, in part, because we give early easy baskets, thus getting more possessions. Asking for me, because I don't want to look up the numbers. Thanks.

Are they better, in part, because we give early easy baskets, thus getting more possessions. Asking for me, because I don't want to look up the numbers. Thanks.

No we are scoring more points per possession than we have since 2012. 114 points compared to 110 last year.

Last edited:

Eh, part of it is likely that we're facing off against the weakest strength of schedule since 1927!!! Back when the basketball was still square!

Just to clear your mind, our breakdown is this:

In Conference:
2020: 7th (FG%)
2019: 9th
(Tad surprised this is so close)

2020: 6th (3FG%)
2019: 5th
(Kind of shocking.....better last year from 3????)

2020: 3rd (FT%)
2019: 14th
(This is a difference maker! Big time difference)

2020: 73 (PPG)
2019: 68
(Scoring more!)

Biggest difference is, we hit free throws, and we don't turn it over NEARLY as much. We could likely have solved that problem with a really good PG at any point since god knows when. Alas, we over-focused on Centers being able to cover the corner three, and not enough on traditional point guards. :(

Is the font you’re using to indicate sarcasm? I’m desperately hoping so.

Is that not the accepted sarcasm font.

I didn't expect playing 40 mins/game to hurt him for another few weeks.

We need Hughes to regain his shooting touch. His shooting has been off for some time now.

No doubt we need him to get his groove back here. However, it seems where he struggles more, or at least hasn't shown the ability to knock down more shots consistently, is that little pull up in the lane from about 12 feet out or so after making a good dribble drive to get a solid look there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom