Hunt made some damn good throws today. | Syracusefan.com

Hunt made some damn good throws today.

OrangeCrush22

All Conference
His only really bad pass, that I recall, was to Broyld behind the line of scrimmage. The throw to Cornelius for the TD was great. A few nice throws to Wales. And back-to-back beautiful throws dropped in the endzone by McFarlane and Eskridge. I think Hunt did enough for Syracuse to win today.

18 of 28 passes completed
159 yards
1 touchdown

Last edited:
He's only really bad pass, that I recall, was to Broyld behind the line of scrimmage. The throw to Cornelius for the TD was great. A few nice throws to Wales. And back-to-back beautiful throws dropped in the endzone by McFarlane and Eskridge. I think Hunt did enough for Syracuse to win today.

159 yards
1 touchdown
He was ok and I'm happy for him. This season makes no sense. The worse he plays the better they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For him he did OK. I just have absolutely zero confidence when we are in 3rd and 7. I don't think it's all on him either. Our WR's don't get schemed open, or can they get open on their own. It's actually a perfect storm of terribleness. With that said even with an improved receiving corp, I just can't see him as the future qb...even though he is still the best option for this team.

I only saw portions of the game today, but what I did see was enough to know that Hunt was not the problem. He looked bad in spots because the play calls stunk and his supporting cast let him down. I asked the question facetiously earlier "Hunt cannot be as bad as the plays and WR's are making him look, can he?". I don't think Hunt is bad. I think what he has to work with is very weak, and the play calls don't help balance that scale.

He's not terrible when he is able to throw on not obvious passing downs. The loss of Hickey hurt our pass protection bad and Hunt got clobbered several times today.

I only saw portions of the game today, but what I did see was enough to know that Hunt was not the problem. He looked bad in spots because the play calls stunk and his supporting cast let him down. I asked the question facetiously earlier "Hunt cannot be as bad as the plays and WR's are making him look, can he?". I don't think Hunt is bad. I think what he has to work with is very weak, and the play calls don't help balance that scale.

The real question is whether Hunt can build on this season's experience and improve. Is there an upside, or is he essentially maxed out? Because if so, then I hope that Kimble, Wilson, Long, or Edouard are given every opportunity to supplant him.

I also don't expect the new WR corps being brought in to work miracles right away. But hopefully at least one of Williams / Cooper / Custis [and hopefully Ismael] will be able to contribute right away and give us more dynamic playmaking to go along with a sold incumbent tandem of Broyld / Estime / Cornelius.

If Hunt is the guy--great, so long as he can produce. Honestly, at this point I couldn't care less which QB steps up and emerges as a playmaker, provided one of them does.

His only really bad pass, that I recall, was to Broyld behind the line of scrimmage. The throw to Cornelius for the TD was great. A few nice throws to Wales. And back-to-back beautiful throws dropped in the endzone by McFarlane and Eskridge. I think Hunt did enough for Syracuse to win today.

159 yards
1 touchdown
Yup too bad they didn't let him throw down field on first downs

The real question in my mind is whether Hunt can build on this season's experience and improve. Is there an upside, or is he essentially maxed out? Because if so, then I hope that Kimble, Wilson, Long, or Edouard are given every opportunity to supplant him.

I also don't expect the new WR corps being brought in to work miracles right away. But hopefully at least one of Williams / Cooper / Custis [and hopefully Ismael] will be able to contribute right away and give us more dynamic playmaking to go along with a sold incumbent tandem of Broyld / Estime.

If Hunt is the guy--great, so long as he can produce. Honestly, at this point I couldn't care less which QB steps up and emerges as a playmaker, provided one of them does.

I am hoping Estime, Avant, Winfield, Cornelius, and Cooper(since he's PG) can help improve the passing attack next season

He also had a handful of bad throws. That being said, he wasn't always put in the best positions. 1 game to win 1, ride or die.

I am hoping Estime, Avant, Winfield, Cornelius, and Cooper(since he's PG) can help improve the passing attack next season

Me too, anomander, me too. I'm fairly confident that the WR corps will be better and more dynamic / explosive next year. We'll be returning 4 starting OL, so hopefully the depth / play there will be even better next year [which is likely, as continuity is generally a big factor in quality OL play].

The question is: will our QB be a playmaker? Or just someone we're hoping to squeeze some modicum of productivity from like this year?

The real question is whether Hunt can build on this season's experience and improve. Is there an upside, or is he essentially maxed out? Because if so, then I hope that Kimble, Wilson, Long, or Edouard are given every opportunity to supplant him.

I also don't expect the new WR corps being brought in to work miracles right away. But hopefully at least one of Williams / Cooper / Custis [and hopefully Ismael] will be able to contribute right away and give us more dynamic playmaking to go along with a sold incumbent tandem of Broyld / Estime / Cornelius.

I totally agree. But if Hunt isn't the guy, that will shake itself out in Spring and Summer ball. FWIW, Ryan Nassib would have been hard pressed to look good with this bunch and McD calling the plays. Our offense, collectively, is just not that good. We have some strong players, but as a whole we're just plain mediocre. We need linemen that can own the trench.

Me too, anomander, me too. I'm fairly confident that the WR corps will be better and more dynamic / explosive next year. We'll be returning 4 starting OL, so hopefully the depth / play there will be even better next year [which is likely, as continuity is generally a big factor in quality OL play].

The question is: will our QB be a playmaker? Or just someone we're hoping to squeeze some modicum of productivity from like this year?

that's going to be the question. i don't think there is any way Shafer can go into Spring practice with Hunt named starter. He needs to make it an open competition once again and let the best man win. If Hunt wins again then I guess we just have to hope to hell he improves. I do think an improved receiving corp will makes things a little more bearable.

I would hope the QB's being recruited are good enough take Hunt's job next year.

It seemed like there was a plan today not to have Hunt run with the ball...

I saw Hunt make throws I never saw Nassib make. The 2 fades in the end zone should have been caught. Hunt is ahead of Nassib at the same point of their careers.

I saw Hunt make throws I never saw Nassib make. The 2 fades in the end zone should have been caught. Hunt is ahead of Nassib at the same point of their careers.

Well said. Hunt showed up today in a big way. A bit stickier fingers on our receivers and a little less frustrating play calling would have given us a solid W.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Made some excellent throws on the deep ball and intermediate throws. Struggled with the screen passes. I'd like to see them take advantage of his feet more and roll him out of the pocket.

159 yards
1 touchdown
It was sort of a funny game for him. 3-4 absolutely perfect deep balls. Very difficult 40+ yard throws into tighht coverage and he put them in perfect spots. He also is seemingly unable to deliver a bubble screen pass into the receivers #s. always high or low or behind the receiver. People complain about the screens but a lot of times the play is there if hunt could deliver a good pass.

159 yards
1 touchdown

For as bad as Hunt looks much of the time, at least when I am watching, he has completed 59% of his attempts this season - very decent and much better than I would have quessed. Of course his 8/7 TD/Int ratio is poor. His Pass EPA (ESPN clutch passing metric) is bad, don't really know what the heck the Pass EPA is but it certainly seems to fit. And his 5.9 yds/attempt is poor (all those 1 yd WR screens no doubt).

It is quite conceivable that with normal progression, he could add a few TDs, have a couple less ints, and add a yd or two to his per attempt and be a decent productive QB for us. That would probably be enough to get us off of the bowl bubble. On the other hand, it would be better if he improved and one of the new guys still beat him out next season. Seems like we are way overdue for an pleasant surprise at the QB position.

He look ok today. He missed on the flee flicker and the eskridge pass was long. With that said he still isn't very good. Yes the receivers dropped some balls and aren't getting open. He's not checking down at all. That last drive he had smith open on 3rd down then missed I thing Cornelius on 4 th down. I have to believe that the qb position is going to be up for grabs in the spring. We hav one more game lets hope they can get it done. Those extra practice are needed.

Are you kidding me??? Hunt is terrible and was terrible against Pitt.

1. The guy can't read a D.

2. When your OC is handcuffed cuz your QB can't run a passing attack you've got issues.

3. When the only damn pass play you run is the Wr screen cuz you have zero confidence in you QB. Hell how bad were his passes to the wrs on some of those plays this week?

4. He had ZERO game management skills at the end of the game. He was completely clueless wasting time getting his together.

5. When you run the ball with 2:30 left in the game and you need at least 40 yards to get into FG position to win the game that tells you all you need to know about about the coaching staff thinks about Hunt.

6. Hell when you run a fake FG at the end of the game when your kicker can't sniff making that long of a kick then that speaks volumes!

The sad thing is if we had an average QB we're at worst 8-3. Yes he is that bad! Our seniors and the rest of the team deserves better, especially our defense.

The bottom line is we've won 5 games despite of our QB position. If we don't have a freshman QB that can beat him out we're in trouble next year.

People...that is the reality!

2. When your OC is handcuffed cuz your QB can't run a passing attack you've got issues.

3. When the only damn pass play you run is the Wr screen cuz you have zero confidence in you QB. Hell how bad were his passes to the wrs on some of those plays this week?

4. He had ZERO game management skills at the end of the game. He was completely clueless wasting time getting his together.

5. When you run the ball with 2:30 left in the game and you need at least 40 yards to get into FG position to win the game that tells you all you need to know about about the coaching staff thinks about Hunt.

6. Hell when you run a fake FG at the end of the game when your kicker can't sniff making that long of a kick then that speaks volumes!

The sad thing is if we had an average QB we're at worst 8-3. Yes he is that bad! Our seniors and the rest of the team deserves better, especially our defense.

The bottom line is we've won 5 games despite of our QB position. If we don't have a freshman QB that can beat him out we're in trouble next year.

Drew, you had your chance and blew it. Don't blame Terrell.

Couldnt agree more. he doesnt hit the backs in stride on swing passes or wr on screens. He's horrible as a passer. Funny how everyone was all over allen after 2 games and yet Hunt has been awful since the tulane game.