Husky Football | Syracusefan.com

Husky Football

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
I was curious as to why UConn fans believe their football program is the cats-ass and cant come to grips that they got passed over during realignment. Personally, I wouldn't mind having them in the ACC, as the hoops league would be sick and I think it would make a stronger case for the hoops tourney to be in NYC, as well as providing more geographic balance to the league, but I think that ship has sailed.

I believe UConn has been passed over simply because they are a new comer to FBS ball and have no real football history. Football schools with votes simply view them as bringing nothing to the table in terms of football, regrdless of their performnce in a watered sown Big East the past decade.

We know that Uconn's started playing FBS ball around the same time our program started to decline, so I was curious to look at UConns results since 2000. As Syracuse was so bad during that period, I admit to not really paying that close attention, and was only going on the hype from the boneyard as to how far UConn had come in terms of football.

Here's what I found: They have had four good years since stepping up to FBS. Three 8-5 years and one 9-4 year. They have 11 wins versus FBS teams that finished the year with a winning records since stepping up to FBS. 11 wins.

USF(3)
Pitt(2)
Louisville (2)
WVU
SU
Cincy
South Carolina

One of the reasons I looked at their result was because I wanted to see what their signature win was. That Cincy team they beat was 11-3 I think. And one of those Louisville wins was just a few years ago when Uof L went on to beat Florida in the sugar bowl (we beat UofL that year too). Also, always good when you beat WVU and any win versus an SEC team (Gamecocks) is a good win in my book. So four good wins in their history. Kudos.

Over the same time period -- one of our lowest points in our storied history -- Syracuse has 24 wins versus FBS teams that finished with a winning record. And since the end of 2003, when SU was at it lowest point, Syracuse has 15 wins versus FBS teams that finished with a winning record. Wins include WVU (2), K-State , Notre Dame, Louisville, Minnesota and Maryland. Nothing to be proud of, but still better than UCONN.

It should be noted that SU is 3-6 versus UConn since 2000, so they do have bragging rights. Thanks Greg Robinson for the 0-4.

Bottom line: No one outside of the state of Connecticut associates UCONN with football. That is why they got passed over. Should there be a need for the ACC to expand, I'd take them in a heartbeat, but the reality is that they dont move the needle enough to bring incremental income to the existing membership, so that seems highly unlikely.

Yep.

I've said previously, UConn had their program decline at the worst possible time. If they were somehow in the middle of a Cincy-type run (circa 2007-2012) a couple years ago then I think they would have had a punchers chance of the ACC inviting them over Louisville.

They certainly have a better academic pedigree, great hoops, and a decent enough market (bigger than Louisville and a fringe influence into NYC). But they stupidly hired Pasqualoni -- such a terrible decision (and that's not 20/20, I said so the day he was brought on) -- basically ensuring no such run would happen.

The reason they got passed over is they got lawsuit happy after the first raid of the Big East and burned bridges.

The reason they got passed over is they got lawsuit happy after the first raid of the Big East and burned bridges.

Eh, almost no one currently in position to influence invitations (meaning Presidents and ADs) at ACC schools was around back then. If UConn was perceived to have the most value to the conference, the lawsuit wouldn't even be a fleeting concern.

I don't want Uconn in the ACC. Unless they get picked up by the B1G we will have a huge advantage over them recruiting wise. Let them rot.