Hypothetical: What if, rather than retire at Cuse, JB signs a short NBA contract. Your response? | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical: What if, rather than retire at Cuse, JB signs a short NBA contract. Your response?

LAorange44

Walk On
All this carrying on about Marrone got me thinking. Everyone expects JB to retire from basketball sometime within the next 4 months - 5 years. What if JB shocked the world and took an NBA head coaching job for a couple years to finish out his career? After 34+ years of loyalty to the Cuse, would the Cuse community support JB if he wanted to take a crack at the pros?

All this carrying on about Marrone got me thinking. Everyone expects JB to retire from basketball sometime within the next 4 months - 5 years. What if JB shocked the world and took an NBA head coaching job for a couple years to finish out his career? After 34+ years of loyalty to the Cuse, would the Cuse community support JB if he wanted to take a crack at the pros?

He is in year 37th just saying.
He gave us a NC and 50years of his life!
So at this point he can do whatever the heck he wants!

I think he'd inevitably wind up with his share of detractors--some nabobs of negativity, and some trolls like Igor et al. who've been waiting (and some even hoping) to see him fail--but as to your direct question, I believe the community would support him by and large. He didn't walk away after probation; he didn't walk away after the NC; and he didn't even walk away after the Fine Mess. He'll have given us 905 wins by later tonight; he gave me my "one before the grave" in 2003; he's gone for the gold at the Olympics and various world competitions; K just called in to the radio show last week to describe him as his best friend in coaching...the list goes on and on. I don't have a bone to pick with Marrone (not least because I don't cotton to the football program even 1/100 as much as the hoops team), but I can't see any straight-faced comparison between the two situations.

Gottlieb, however, would not approve.

Ah, Sprio Agnew and his nattering nabobs of negativism... wonderful reference! I believe that line was originally penned by William Saffire (sp?).

btw - it is also important to point out that spiro agnew is an anagram for "grow a peni s" (as I once wrote on an exam I had in college).

Mason

He's just about got the program where it needs to be. Couldn't imagine him bailing on us now, would be tragic.

Ah, Sprio Agnew and his nattering nabobs of negativism... wonderful reference! I believe that line was originally penned by William Saffire (sp?).

btw - it is also important to point out that spiro agnew is an anagram for "grow a peni s" (as I once wrote on an exam I had in college).

Mason

Thanks for cleaning up my miss on negativity vs. negativism. I actually liked "pusillanimous pussyfooters" even better, but nobody ever refers to that one. Pusillanimous is a very fine word. When you've got Safire writing speeches for you, you're bound to wind up with some rhetorical flourish.

Just imagine if Spiro's dad had stuck with the original family name of Anagnostopoulos. That would have given him anagrammatical pantaloons for his aforementioned pen!s.

Doubt it would happen because he plays zone. But if given the right city to think he wouldn't give it atleast a 2-3 year run for the money instead of retiring is doubtfull. I hope his kids play 6'5 SG at cuse someday :)

Thanks for cleaning up my miss on negativity vs. negativism. I actually liked "pusillanimous pussyfooters" even better, but nobody ever refers to that one. Pusillanimous is a very fine word. When you've got Safire writing speeches for you, you're bound to wind up with some rhetorical flourish.

Just imagine if Spiro's dad had stuck with the original family name of Anagnostopoulos. That would have given him anagrammatical pantaloons for his aforementioned pen!s.

I liked everything about this post. Very clever.

contrary to some very sketchy sources over the years i don't believe he's ever seriously been approached.

Do you mean that after 37 years and success forged with a defense rarely used anywhere else...that he'd finally cave and accept one of the many NBA head coaching jobs he's been offered over the years?

Safire would have been really pissed that you misspelled his name.;)