I admit it. I feel sad. | Syracusefan.com

I admit it. I feel sad.

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
I am the kind of person who likes to distract myself quickly if I start feeling anger, sadness, misery, etc. For the most part, this has been a good strategy for me, but I began to feel that I was perhaps cheating myself from feeling the full spectrum of human emotion. How does one experience these powerful feelings without allowing them to deposit you in the Land of Frothing Rage or the Bog of Sublime Depression for a scary long time?

So, this week I decided to try to release the hounds. It worked! I had a successful angry conversation with my sister, I tried to kill my husband just by using my eyes, and last night after the game my heart ached for the players, the coaches and myself. A deep heartache, accompanied by some mist in the corner of my eyes. Actual tears were not shed, but I was with company, after all.

I can't help but feel that as sad as I am, it can't match the sadness and frustration of our players and coaches. I feel sorry for all of us.

One feeling I have had in great depth is grief. Grief is awful but I have learned (and studies show) that if you walk through the valley of the shadow, and keep walking, you come through to the other side. When you're in the midst of it, you don't believe it's possible.

I believe the sadness I feel right now is more like grief, rather than depression. Games will continue to be lost - and won? Christmas will leave us. The tournaments will happen without us. The snow will melt, the flowers will bloom, and summer vacations will delight. I will look back at this season and think, "Wow! That was really REALLY hard." I will begin to look forward to next season. And once again I will marvel at the truth and comfort of these words:

"This too shall pass."

We each have to find our own way. I am going to let myself mope, and grump, and sigh, and shed some tears. It's possible I will kick a cat (gently). I will watch and attend every game. One day at a time.

War Damn Otto! Here's to you, Dan Johnson!

There are now eight games left in the season. You can still enjoy each of them, no matter how they turn out, for there will surely be plenty of good moments in every one of them. The players and coaches are certainly not giving up on the season, and much is to be gained in the remaining games. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out over the next month. Only then will I begin looking forward to next season.

This is a new and unwelcome experience. I have never experienced (and bet none on this board have either) feeling like the SU basketball season is basically over in early February. It's bizarre. Of course I will still watch all the games but it's an empty feeling not jockeying for wins, ranking and NCAA seed positioning. Especially knowing this edition could well lose most (or maybe all?) of the remaining games. That is hard to wrap your head around.

I am the kind of person who likes to distract myself quickly if I start feeling anger, sadness, misery, etc. For the most part, this has been a good strategy for me, but I began to feel that I was perhaps cheating myself from feeling the full spectrum of human emotion. How does one experience these powerful feelings without allowing them to deposit you in the Land of Frothing Rage or the Bog of Sublime Depression for a scary long time?

So, this week I decided to try to release the hounds. It worked! I had a successful angry conversation with my sister, I tried to kill my husband just by using my eyes, and last night after the game my heart ached for the players, the coaches and myself. A deep heartache, accompanied by some mist in the corner of my eyes. Actual tears were not shed, but I was with company, after all.

I can't help but feel that as sad as I am, it can't match the sadness and frustration of our players and coaches. I feel sorry for all of us.

One feeling I have had in great depth is grief. Grief is awful but I have learned (and studies show) that if you walk through the valley of the shadow, and keep walking, you come through to the other side. When you're in the midst of it, you don't believe it's possible.

I believe the sadness I feel right now is more like grief, rather than depression. Games will continue to be lost - and won? Christmas will leave us. The tournaments will happen without us. The snow will melt, the flowers will bloom, and summer vacations will delight. I will look back at this season and think, "Wow! That was really REALLY hard." I will begin to look forward to next season. And once again I will marvel at the truth and comfort of these words:

"This too shall pass."

We each have to find our own way. I am going to let myself mope, and grump, and sigh, and shed some tears. It's possible I will kick a cat (gently). I will watch and attend every game. One day at a time.

We had a game last nite? Sure is great to be getting older and forget more bad things than good ones...

This is a new and unwelcome experience. I have never experienced (and bet none on this board have either) feeling like the SU basketball season is basically over in early February. It's bizarre. Of course I will still watch all the games but it's an empty feeling not jockeying for wins, ranking and NCAA seed positioning. Especially knowing this edition could well lose most (or maybe all?) of the remaining games. That is hard to wrap your head around.
I have experienced it but it's been a very, very long time. And back then, there were no expectations so it was loads of fun anyway.

pulgas-en-perros.jpg

tough to have the same passion when there is no end game. human nature.
i certainly am much less upset by the loss knowing in reality it doesnt even matter.

hopefully we can pull one upset for Rak.
It would be great to see them knock off UVA on Rak's senior night but I'll take Duke, Notre Dame or Louisville just get 1 or 2 upsets to give us something to smile about.

"This too shall pass."

Eat a snickers

"This too shall pass."

I once had a friend named Solomon who after "coming to America" lived in Dallas before moving to where I lived. He did so during the glory years of Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and co. He would always go on about "Dallas" in any way he could. One season, they weren't doing so well, and after all of his goading I asked him why he wasn't going on about Dallas. He simply stated that it wasn't emotionally healthy. There are many different kinds of fans, and it isn't for me to judge any of them. I do get a bit riled at the hypocrisy I see on here though, like in the anti-Pitt thread. As human beings, we all have choices as to what level we take our status as fans, and I'm grateful for a thread like this. Thanks, Triple B!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom