I am so friggin confused by this team... | Syracusefan.com

I am so friggin confused by this team...

44PRIDE

All Conference
Who in the hell are they?

Are they the worldbeaters that destroyed #11 WVU on national TV? Or are they they the yuks that needed a bad call to beat Toledo?

Are they the team that was down 26-14 after 3 quarters to Wake Forest? Or are they the team that outscored Wake 22-3 in the 4th qtr and overtime?

Is Ryan Nassib a 24/32, 229 yard, 4 TD, no INT qb like we saw this weekend? Or is he a 15/32, 169 yard, no TD, 4 INT qb that we saw against Rutgers?

Which team shows up against Louisville?

First of all Toledo is a pretty good team, the worst games we played all year were the Rutgers, URI, and Tulane game, they were really bad. The team is probably somewhere in the middle of those two efforts... If we play a decent game Saturday we should be in it in 4th quarter with a shot to win, lay an egg and we lose by 14-17 points, play like we did versus WVY and we win by 21 and see a game like the Cinci game last year.. Who knows, but expecting an effort like WVU every week is just unrealitsic... IMO

UCONN and Lville are going to be such a grind... I could care less about the P aspect of UCONN game, I hated Edsall 100 times more than P, I just hope we try to keep the O gameplan fresh, come out gunning and not settle for what looks like Seattle/ Browns game did yesterday... If you want to turn a corner we need to quit playing so many close games

yup. i could really care less about the whole coach P story.They need to keep focused and let the media talk about P until our ears bleed. I am so dreading the week leading up to that game.

I don't remember seeing this on the board before but the ironic thing is, if we wouldn't have missed the extra point in the Rutgers game, we would be 5-1 right now. I guess that's karma...I think we missed the extra point early in the game, maybe 2nd quarter.

I don't remember seeing this on the board before but the ironic thing is, if we wouldn't have missed the extra point in the Rutgers game, we would be 5-1 right now. I guess that's karma...I think we missed the extra point early in the game, maybe 2nd quarter.
XP was blocked - along with an easy FG

Are they the worldbeaters that destroyed #11 WVU on national TV? Or are they they the yuks that needed a bad call to beat Toledo?

Are they the team that was down 26-14 after 3 quarters to Wake Forest? Or are they the team that outscored Wake 22-3 in the 4th qtr and overtime?

Is Ryan Nassib a 24/32, 229 yard, 4 TD, no INT qb like we saw this weekend? Or is he a 15/32, 169 yard, no TD, 4 INT qb that we saw against Rutgers?

Well for starters, we didn't have Chandler for most of those games nor had Graham emerged.

Second, the Rutgers game was Nassib's only true bad game so you'd have to think the rutgers game was the abberation and not WVU

WVU was a perfect storm kind of game, the likes of which we won't see again this year. Still, we have made strides in multiple areas and I think we're likely to put forward solid efforts from here on out. Not saying we'll win all of them but an 8-win regular season is looking likely as a minimum

Well for starters, we didn't have Chandler for most of those games nor had Graham emerged.

Second, the Rutgers game was Nassib's only true bad game so you'd have to think the rutgers game was the abberation and not WVU

WVU was a perfect storm kind of game, the likes of which we won't see again this year. Still, we have made strides in multiple areas and I think we're likely to put forward solid efforts from here on out. Not saying we'll win all of them but an 8-win regular season is looking likely as a minimum

Agreed Dick, if we play our game somewhere in that 50%-75% percentile we should be in position to win almost every game, get the next two but both of these teams have had our number but we clearly have the better qb, I feel good about them but they will be tough wins regardless because both UCONN and Lville play solid D... I would be thrilled with 8-4, but I think the ceiling is higher as the opponents are far from world beaters. Collaros is a nightmare to defend against

I don't think it's so confusing... we have a lot of serviceable players that have needed the help of some real playmakers to make that next leap in performance. WV was obviously not ready to play and was likely taking us lightly - and it showed... We punched them in the mouth and they never recovered.

1. I think, obviously with Shamarko and Jones back, the defense is a whole different beast.

2. I think we saw the emergence of Graham as a playmaker on offense and specials... obviously... let's see if he can add some consistency to that ability now that he'll be on opposing team's radar screens for game planning...

3. Very good offensive game calling - especially on the Tight End plays: Great pass calls to both Provo and Stevens and excellent execution by those TE's.

Lastly, the run game was solid - not spectacular and good effort by committee... and even tho the numbers don't show it, I smell an absolute bulldozer performance from Frosh Ameen-Moore in the near future... not sure against who or when, just that he will have a breakout punishing run game soon...

Reality is we probably aren't quite as good as we performed on Sat. and teams that game plan better against us and come ready to play will offer harder challenges... but obviously we are also much better with are marquee players back on the field... and hopefully Graham will continue to impress even tho the cat's out of the bag...

Special teams still concerns me and the fact that we don't have decent kick-off leg...

I just hope we try to keep the O gameplan fresh, come out gunning and not settle for what looks like Seattle/ Browns game did yesterday... If you want to turn a corner we need to quit playing so many close games

Huge Brownies fan...watched game on my Sunday Ticket package...just brutal to watch and could only be endured by either Browns or Seahawks fans. The Brown's have to have the worst wr's in the history of the NFL. I don't think they could get separation from any of the top college defensive team's, let alone in the NFL...clearly practice squad type guys...Up until SU's offensive explosion in the WVA game, watching SU's struggling offense on Saturdays followed by the anemic Brown's offense on Sundays, will just about test any fan's patience & sanity. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the wonderful world of rebuilding a program. And remember that we're ahead of schedule.

Nassib seems to be coming into his own with a lot of big plays for third down pickups. The sheer number of weapons the offense has at this point helped a lot, but he did a good job of picking up the open receiver and/or placing the ball well, e.g. the tight throw to West . SU's offense outperformed WVU's and demonstrated that ball control is a great thing but scoring consistently via ball control is better. I for one was impressed with that performance. We don't have 9 days to prepare for Louisville but we have good reason to hope the offense & defense are both in sync with the coaches putting them in a position to win. It's a good time to be an SU fan.

I think we're both. Its part of the nature in rebuilding a program... ANY program.
HCDM said that the 1st Phase was to re-learn how to win games. Remember how great it felt to see those Varsity helmet flipping videos after big wins these last 2 years? I'd forgotten how important that ritual was, because we hadn't experienced it too much recently. Now, its becoming familiar again as we continue to win games- & never mind the scores, "Just win, baby".
Phase II is upsetting ranked opponents in dominant fashion & taking the "next step" as he called it. Does anyone doubt that we will at the very least "compete" in every game now? We don't worry so much about random, continuous blowouts like we used to. Most of the wins may be close, but so are most of the losses!
To paraphrase Winston Churchill, we have reached the "end of the beginning" with that WVU win. IMHO, now whether we win or lose, the mojo for SU football has returned. All the WVU players said after the game that the entire atmosphere was different in the dome, something they hadn't felt in all the years they'd come to the Cuse.
The word is out- & getting louder. Something is happening, nay...has happened with the SU program, & Friday was just the next logical step. :cool:

Reality is we probably aren't quite as good as we performed on Sat. ...

You can take the "probably" out of that sentence. And I"m not knocking the team with that. Merely pointing out that that was almost a perfect game. We aren't doing that again because we hadn't done it since the Ferri game in P's next to last season ('03?).

lay an egg and we lose by 14-17 points

Louisville has scored over 20 points only twice this year. Barring a 10 turnover performance, there is no way we lose by 2 TDs.