I can't remember a offseason with so few thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

I can't remember a offseason with so few thoughts...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
So I figure why not throw some out of the box insight out there. :noidea:

1. Imagine If Dajaun is healthy and McCullough shows the ability to hit a face up jumper. While doubtful, we could see a lineup of McCullough Rak and Dajuan early on, and if it works you never know. Last year with senior Fair's importance that lineup became unlikely to run with Grant, however preseason BJ, Roberson and Gbinije right now are not preseason senior Fair. Two of Mccullough's strengths when we were recruiting him were his dribbling ability and range on his jumper. We also have Kaleb's aggression. Keep in mind Rak and a healthy Dajuan both have started together the past two years, and its rare for JB to switch starters out of the starting lineup (espeically upperclassmen).I probably couldn't think of more then 1-2 examples in the past 10 years, if even that.

Alot can be said about Rak's addition to his mobility last year, and attempting more midrange jumpshots midseason. With him already graduating he has alot of time to put into his game.

2. I think one of the things that slowed down Gbinije last year was his inability as a playmaker to create good things after drawing the double. Especially around the freethrow line. I really really really (can't sress it enough) like his confidence to challenge his jumpshot and spot up three as one strategy. But I also have a memory of 3rd year sophmore scoop. Scoop ran a offense the whole year until march feeding a mid post up offense from the three point line through to arinze. He didn't operate much beating his man one on one and very rarely(not just rarely) drew doubles all year. He probably wasn't ready to drive past his man much. Gbinije had alot of practice on that last year and the year before against MCW's, and imo was actually ahead of sophmore scoop getting by his man one on one last year. But the difference is Scoop eventually evolved into a guard that could drive into the mid instead of high post before drawing a double and then was awesome at making tough layups under pressure. He also started to find the lob inside over the defense to Fab over time. Gbinije is close to Scoops strength and alot taller to finish midpost-in if he ever finds a way to beat the doubles. Maybe if Gbinije can start his drives a step or two closer to the free throw line, that could help as well(one of the advantages with him being off guard like Triche the midpost assasin). Even MCW's and Flynn had a rough time making floaters around the foul line as freshmen, Gbinije needs to continue to work on that.

3. Compare BJ Johnson to KJO Southerland and CJ in recent years. They were our forwards after Wes Johnson. While BJ is skinny to dribble under physical pressure, I don't think his handle is far off from KJO or CJ, and maybe even ahead of both. BJ is certainly way ahead of southerland's. He might not be James Southerland from outside yet, but he was ahead of KJO and freshmen Fair in confidence range and defenetly has more fluidity to his range and a hungry deep trigger for someone as young as he is. With that being said, he could be our most well rounded Small Forward scorer since Wes Johnson or Demitrius Nichols, with the potential to pull up better then wes off one to two dribbles in the future. I look forward to him relieving Cooney of some pressure in the future. And just imagine Cooney evolving a shot off the dribble this year or next. With BJ's ability it could feel like Rautins and Wes 2.0 :D. If we are lucky enough to still have him with a senior Roberson, or sophmore Richardson and Lydon, we could be in for a real shooting treat.

Last edited:
So I figure why not throw some out of the box insight out there. :noidea:

1. Imagine If Dajaun is healthy and McCullough shows the ability to hit a face up jumper. While doubtful, we could see a lineup of McCullough Rak and Dajuan early on, and if it works you never know. Last year with senior Fair's importance that lineup became unlikely to run with Grant, however preseason BJ, Roberson and Gbinije right now are not preseason senior Fair. Two of Mccullough's strengths when we were recruiting him were his dribbling ability and range on his jumper. We also have Kaleb's aggression. Keep in mind Rak and a healthy Dajuan both have started together the past two years, and its rare for JB to switch starters out of the starting lineup (espeically upperclassmen).I probably couldn't think of more then 1-2 examples in the past 10 years, if even that.

Alot can be said about Rak's addition to his mobility last year, and attempting more midrange jumpshots midseason. With him already graduating he has alot of time to put into his game.

2. I think one of the things that slowed down Gbinije last year was his inability as a playmaker to create good things after drawing the double. Especially around the freethrow line. I really really really (can't sress it enough) like his confidence to challenge his jumpshot and spot up three as one strategy. But I also have a memory of 3rd year sophmore scoop. Scoop ran a offense the whole year until march feeding a mid post up offense from the three point line through to arinze. He didn't operate much beating his man one on one and very rarely(not just rarely) drew doubles all year. He probably wasn't ready to drive past his man much. Gbinije had alot of practice on that last year and the year before against MCW's, and imo was actually ahead of sophmore scoop getting by his man one on one last year. But the difference is Scoop eventually evolved into a guard that could drive into the mid instead of high post before drawing a double and then was awesome at making tough layups under pressure. He also started to find the lob inside over the defense to Fab over time. Gbinije is close to Scoops strength and alot taller to finish midpost-in if he ever finds a way to beat the doubles. Maybe if Gbinije can start his drives a step or two closer to the free throw line, that could help as well(one of the advantages with him being off guard like Triche the midpost assasin). Even MCW's and Flynn had a rough time making floaters around the foul line as freshmen, Gbinije needs to continue to work on that.

3. Compare BJ Johnson to KJO Southerland and CJ in recent years. They were our forwards after Wes Johnson. While BJ is skinny to dribble under physical pressure, I don't think his handle is far off from KJO or CJ, and maybe even ahead of both. BJ is certainly way ahead of southerland's. He might not be James Southerland from outside yet, but he was ahead of KJO and freshmen Fair in confidence range and defenetly has more fluidity to his range and a hungry deep trigger for someone as young as he is. With that being said, he could be our most well rounded Small Forward scorer since Wes Johnson or Demitrius Nichols, with the potential to pull up better then wes off one to two dribbles in the future. I look forward to him relieving Cooney of some pressure in the future. And just imagine Cooney evolving a shot off the dribble this year or next. With BJ's ability it could feel like Rautins and Wes 2.0 :D. If we are lucky enough to still have him with a senior Roberson, or sophmore Richardson and Lydon, we could be in for a real shooting treat.

IMO I don't think we will see Coleman start if he is health. With Joesph running the show I expect us to try and get up and down much more often this year, and Coleman is not the type of big that will be able to run the floor consistently night in and night out. Now if Ennis was still here it would be a different story due to the fact that he liked to operate in the half court and could better utilize Coleman's abilities.

I don't think his handle is far off from KJO or CJ

I hope he is far off from them, because CJ and KJo had no handle. Unless by handle you mean dribbling off their feet.

I think this is one aspect that BJ is far superior to either CJ or KJo.

I would think DC2 does not start even if 100% healthy. I think they will still want to work him in, keep his load minimal and try to get him through an entire season which he is yet to do. I do feel like a healthy DC2 for even 10-12 minutes a game would be a huge help to the team and he would bring something that none of the other guys really do.

I am very interested in seeing what improvements Cooney and MikeG make to their games as well as BJ and Roberson. If everything comes together this could be a very hard team to defend.

I hope he is far off from them, because CJ and KJo had no handle. Unless by handle you mean dribbling off their feet.

I think this is one aspect that BJ is far superior to either CJ or KJo.
damn sure been some manscaping on those eyebrows