I don't get how anyone can like Gus Johnson | Syracusefan.com

I don't get how anyone can like Gus Johnson

Sorry, but I like him. Yes you are right in that he was more of an SJU homer today, but he does work for Fox Sports now, which has the new Big East contract. But, at least Gus gets excited over good play, much more so than many boring announcers out there. Kinda like Dickie V, but not quite as annoying.

I had my tv practically on mute, and I could still hear Gus have an orgasm every time SJU made a shot.

The speed with which Gus became a parody of himself puts vitale to shame. The guy is awful.
There is no doubt that he and raf know where their bread is buttered. They were very pro st john's today. I thought raf was going to cry when the Johnnies missed 3 freebies late.

Sorry, but I like him. Yes you are right in that he was more of an SJU homer today, but he does work for Fox Sports now, which has the new Big East contract. But, at least Gus gets excited over good play, much more so than many boring announcers out there. Kinda like Dickie V, but not quite as annoying.

All he does is yell. It gets very tiresome. He also calls soccer games and does just an awful job of it. Yelling, yelling, yelling.

He's mellowed some over time but yeah, he's still pretty much unbearable. I mean where can you go with your big shot schtick when you start on decibel level 11 for a for a made layup in the first 5 minutes?
and don't even get me started with him and soccer games - an absolute abomination.

I like him as well - at least when he is not doing a broadcast of an upset of us! He could broadcast paint drying and make it sound exciting.

Gus doesn't get sincerely excited. The enthusiasm couldn't be more forced. He's like the one-year SU radio guy whose call of our national championship we're stuck listening to for eternity.

Both are unpleasant. Sorry that Raf has had to accept such a downgrade in play-by-play talent.

I would guess that Gus is somewhat a generational thing. The older you get the less you appreciate him. I also agree if you don't have a horse in the race or if you do and it's the underdog he is amazing to listen too.

He wasn't that enjoyable today, but usually I love Gus Johnson. Just don't like him doing SU games. He's constantly snorting coke and guzzling cans of Monster.

He was good during NCAA tourney games, his intensity translates well to a high-stakes basketball environment. When he's using the same schtick for games in mid-December...it just doesn't fit.

How many times did he call us "Orangemen"? I think he finally got it right after the first media timeout. Other than that I really didn't mind him so much.

I had my tv practically on mute, and I could still hear Gus have an orgasm every time SJU made a shot.

The speed with which Gus became a parody of himself puts vitale to shame. The guy is awful.
He didn't annoy me as much as he did during his last game that I watched. What I noticed today is that even when he wasn't yelling (actually kept that more in control than what I anticipated) he was very behind in describing the action. Even then, as the ball was moved, quite often all he would do is say the players name that currently possessed the ball, nothing else. He's just not a very good play-by-play guy.

I watched the game when I got home and was shocked at how pro SJU/Big East the Fox coverage was. There was no calling out controversial calls like the 1st half block call when Grant was literally standing outside the circle for a solid five steps when the SJU player ran into him. No replay at all and no mention of why that was a good or bad call.

I thought it was a horrible call in person. My thoughts were confirmed watching it. Just shocked that there was no mention of it by Raf or Johnson and NO replay by Fox. People complain that ESPN talks up its properties, but I've never seen ESPN completely ignore a controversial call like that.

At least Gus Johnson talks about the action in the game. Unlike so many (like Dykes, Vitale, etc) who jabber most of time about all kinds of stuff not even related to the game taking place on the court.

I feel sorry for whomever has to clean his pants. I'll bet he has a Louie Carneseca tattoo on his ass.

How many times did he call us "Orangemen"? I think he finally got it right after the first media timeout. Other than that I really didn't mind him so much.

That is correct - at least to many of us fans who still call them that regardless of the ridiculous change to just Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom