I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day | Syracusefan.com

I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day

Caboose

Scout Team
Not that anybody cares but I wanted to throw this post up to express my feelings about the whirlwind of news dumped on us yesterday by Syracuse University. Firstly, I called this. Two years ago when the sanctions were handed down and Boeheim was pretty much forced to announce his retirement timeline, I said there's no way Boeheim would go out like that. Even with the premise that Hopkins would take over, I said on our local airwaves that Boeheim would be here beyond the 2017-18 season. He would not allow the end to his 40-year run/legacy to be dictated by a corrupt NCAA and its investigation.

As far as how I feel about yesterday, I know that there are many who are in the same boat I'm in. I was excited that, if this retirement were to happen, new doors would open, and possibly an influx of new types of recruits. Maybe we would see a higher rate of blue chips come in; ones who were not scared off by a coach who uses a defense you never see in the NBA. At the same time I was not sold on Hopkins and his in-game coaching ability, especially after last year's 4-5 performance. On the other hand I was excited that we'd have a relatively young coach who most certainly would have been recruiting with much more energy than JB has been showing over the last few years. I also felt that there was a possibility that the new AD would not stake his legacy on Hopkins and open a search which could possibly bring in a guy like Jay Wright, or some other up-and-comer.

So none of that is happening, which brings us to this morning, and myself waking up, feeling like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Don't get me wrong, I love what Boeheim has done for SU and this town, but I have to admit that I was excited about what the future held for us post-Boeheim, for some of the reasons stated above. We have one title in his 40+ years. What makes people think JB is going to all of a sudden pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring a title here in the next 3-5 years after only snagging one in 40 with a once in a lifetime blue chip recruit the likes of which we haven't brought here since? Listen, the guy is 73 years old and no longer connects with the players. I appreciate all he's done and love the guy, but I was ready and excited for the change. Change is not always bad. I welcome change, but now we have to wait even longer for it.

I wanted change. I have no problem with Hopkins leaving. He was a gamble.
What we can't do is continue with JB behaving the same way.
18-13, 23-14, 19-15
60-42 JB has to change how he does things.
Hire an outsider as assistant and make a few adjustments.

I was looking forward to change too, but Jay Wright is never coming here. Wish our fans would quit with that idea.
I know, I know, sigh. I've seen all the LMAO's at people hoping for a Jay Wright hire here. My mention of him is more in line with "someone like him"- established, proven coach, good recruiter, etc.. He would be my first choice if given the opportunity, opportunity being the key word. Anyway, let's see how things unfold over the next few weeks with filling out the remaining schollies, Frank Howard, Battle & Lydon, and the staff around JB. Hoping for the best.

By the way, not that we couldn't tell by looking at the players' faces Saturday, but my brother works with an SU cheerleader. She said the players couldn't give a hoot about losing to Ole Miss. Another tidbit... My sis is friends with Ryan Blackwell. He told her directly that Mike Hopkins told him to stay local because he would put him on his staff at SU. Don't be surprised if you see Blackwell bounce from Liverpool and follow Hop to Seattle.

Taurean Thompson and Tyus Battle better attack this off season with the ferocity I saw out my dorm window, every morning around 7 AM, displayed by NFL running back Brandon Oliver and NFL DPOY Khalil Mack running hills/flipping tires/pumping each other up. I want a team with pride. Couldn't give a s--- about losing to Ole Miss? Why because its the NIT? SU's been an NIT calibre team for 3 years now. Time to sack up and change the culture boys, because a 73 year old Boeheim isn't going to pull any miracles out of his suit pocket.

I don't know if I was excited about the future with new blood or if I was (and now am again) just worried about where this program now heads over the next 2-5 years. If JB continues running the program as he has lately, I think we're in trouble. We cannot simply elevate AA to the Hop role, GMac to the AA role and promote from within and expect our fortunes to change. JB MUST recruit again. We cannot afford to have the head coach mail in recruiting for another 5 years, especially with Hop gone.

I think AA has done a good job here, but right now, it almost feels everything going forward will rely on his ability to recruit. That's a bit unfair. If JB turns back time, hits the road, adds an assistant with recruiting experience and re-energizes this program, we can gets things headed back to where we were used to. But if none of that happens, where does this program go? I'm afraid that we're more likely to see more of the same and that worries me about the next 3-5 years, and in turn could have an impact on the type/level of coach we are able to hire to replace JB...

Taurean Thompson and Tyus Battle better attack this off season with the ferocity I saw out my dorm window, every morning around 7 AM, displayed by NFL running back Brandon Oliver and NFL DPOY Khalil Mack running hills/flipping tires/pumping each other up. I want a team with pride. Couldn't give a s--- about losing to Ole Miss? Why because its the NIT? SU's been an NIT calibre team for 3 years now. Time to sack up and change the culture boys, because a 73 year old Boeheim isn't going to pull any miracles out of his suit pocket.
Wow a heel turn by True Blue it's almost like this.
-K_lcg.gif

I don't know if I was excited about the future with new blood or if I was (and now am again) just worried about where this program now heads over the next 2-5 years. If JB continues running the program as he has lately, I think we're in trouble. We cannot simply elevate AA to the Hop role, GMac to the AA role and promote from within and expect our fortunes to change. JB MUST recruit again. We cannot afford to have the head coach mail in recruiting for another 5 years, especially with Hop gone.

I think AA has done a good job here, but right now, it almost feels everything going forward will rely on his ability to recruit. That's a bit unfair. If JB turns back time, hits the road, adds an assistant with recruiting experience and re-energizes this program, we can gets things headed back to where we were used to. But if none of that happens, where does this program go? I'm afraid that we're more likely to see more of the same and that worries me about the next 3-5 years, and in turn could have an impact on the type/level of coach we are able to hire to replace JB...
Autry getting a raise was fine. He has done a good job.
I was hoping GMac would leave. He isn't so he needs hit recruiting hard.
Hire an outsider and recruit.

If you think it's groundhogs day now, wait until you watch SU lose to an athletically inferior team that is comfortable attacking the zone for 40 minutes in 2020.

Wow a heel turn by True Blue it's almost like this.
-K_lcg.gif

I'll always think we could perform in March because we're Syracuse and that's when the zone comes together. However, it's the players and JB's job to get us there (the NCAA's). JB's not gonna be able to help as much as he used to, and that's to be expected. Time for the "studs" to start acting the role of NBA players. It wasn't Doc Rivers who willed the Celtics to their 17th championship. It was the leaders coming together, buying into one goal and outworking everyone else in the league. Battle and Thompson gotta step it up, god willing Lydon too. The current culture ain't cutting it.

Autry getting a raise was fine. He has done a good job.
I was hoping GMac would leave. He isn't so he needs hit recruiting hard.
Hire an outsider and recruit.
I agree, and probably didn't convey that thought as well as I intended. He deserves the Hop role, and I'm not debating that. It's the fallout from him moving up that is concerning.

We just had Hop and AA. Now we only have AA. That's a problem unless JB really changes things up.