I feel so Dirty | Syracusefan.com

I feel so Dirty

orangemass

All American
yet so good... Welcome back Mr Southerland...

Is this the year we get everyone back in time for the tourney? is this the year we make a legit run?

It's wide open... Why not us?

Is this the year we get everyone back in time for the tourney? is this the year we make a legit run?

Just need to put ourselves in a position to get one of the top 8 seeds (1 or 2 seeds I mean). Get the Philly pod and hope that we have some good matchups in our region. We can certainly make the FF. This tournament is probably going to be the most wide open tournament since it went to 64 teams.

I'd love if we could even get a 3 seed if it means were in the east and can play sweet 16 and elite 8 games in dc in front of an orange crowd. I don't care what seed we are as you said Marsh it's all about matchups, I'm more worried about having to go out west and play Arizona or go to texas and play Kansas.

With Southerland back and DC back before long, we can make a run. When our D is on, it suffocates people. Most teams we will play in the tourney won't have a clue against this active 2-3.

With Southerland back and DC back before long, we can make a run. When our D is on, it suffocates people. Most teams we will play in the tourney won't have a clue against this active 2-3.
Add to that JB really likes this team and I believe he said they are playing the zone extremely well.

Just need to put ourselves in a position to get one of the top 8 seeds (1 or 2 seeds I mean). Get the Philly pod and hope that we have some good matchups in our region. We can certainly make the FF. This tournament is probably going to be the most wide open tournament since it went to 64 teams.

The Dirty South Rises Again!

... So good to see him back... guy is solid!

As for putting it all together, I am worried for two reasons:

1. The BE is being reffed pretty lax this year - even by Big East standards... lots of contact with no calls and very physical. We know how that can translate to the Big Dance when the officiating becomes much more strict (after we've been programmed for bruiser-ball in the BE...)

2. Even with the loose reffing, we have two centers (RakAttack & Hammer-Hands Keita) who find ways to pickup fouls in bunches...

I hope Grant is starting to spend some quality time playing center in practice...

2. Even with the loose reffing, we have two centers (RakAttack & Hammer-Hands Keita) who find ways to pickup fouls in bunches...

This has to change for us to be at our best.

IMO, the board is a little too optimistic right now. Just as it was way too pessimistic after the 2 game losing streak.

... So good to see him back... guy is solid!

As for putting it all together, I am worried for two reasons:

1. The BE is being reffed pretty lax this year - even by Big East standards... lots of contact with no calls and very physical. We know how that can translate to the Big Dance when the officiating becomes much more strict (after we've been programmed for bruiser-ball in the BE...)

I hope Grant is starting to spend some quality time playing center in practice...

True but we'll have 15 fouls at our disposal soon when Dajuan comes back...

On that note, when exactly does DC return from his injury? I knew it was reported that he needed surgery and would be out a month, but was that a week ago? Two weeks ago? When is he estimated to return?

And apologies, I'm sure that this has been addressed, but the last few weeks have been a blur for me...

Sure,"why not us?" Its only a matter of this team playing its best together. That includes MCW not giving the ball away and making poor choices like trying to slam the ball down in the middle of a drive into the paint and way too far away from the basket in the middle of guys wearing other colors.Andthen making some passes to the crowd.Does DC2 come back and contribute anything other than a few minutes? Its going to require a bit more offense from RAK Jeremi must realize he is important and not play like a scared freshman who can get away with taking poor shots. This team can go all the way if it really wants the title. Unexpected success is the best kind for the fans. I'm ready to be surprised. SUball

On that note, when exactly does DC return from his injury? I knew it was reported that he needed surgery and would be out a month, but was that a week ago? Two weeks ago? When is he estimated to return?

And apologies, I'm sure that this has been addressed, but the last few weeks have been a blur for me...
He had surgery 2 Tuesdays ago. He should be back for UL.

That would be great... And we have the luxery of not having to rush him back...

Agreed--at his size, I'd rather have him rehab / go through P.T. as much as he needs before we get him back out there.

A bigger question in my mind is: how will he handle the demotion [if we take JB at his word that Grant is the starter for the rest of the year], and will he be able to get in the mindset of coming off the bench and trying to find ways to contribute as a reserve? Because he could still do this team some good.

Maybe it would even be better for him / less pressure to come off the bench.

I just don't see DC being much of a factor upon his return. He wasn't prior to his surgery, and no reason to think he will immediatly afterwards. JB likely will & should still start Grant. I prefer that line up much more anyway, at least with Grant starting, we don't find us down consistently at the start of the game.

I just don't see DC being much of a factor upon his return. He wasn't prior to his surgery, and no reason to think he will immediatly afterwards. JB likely will & should still start Grant. I prefer that line up much more anyway, at least with Grant starting, we don't find us down consistently at the start of the game.

I hope he does keep starting Grant. At this point, if DC brings anything more than 5 extra fouls and some windex, it's gravy. My biggest concern about this team right now is that we have an off shooting night in the tourney. Can we consistently get good looks inside the paint to stay afloat?

I hope he does keep starting Grant. At this point, if DC brings anything more than 5 extra fouls and some windex, it's gravy. My biggest concern about this team right now is that we have an off shooting night in the tourney. Can we consistently get good looks inside the paint to stay afloat?

No, to answer your question. But a healthy DC, this year, doesn't change that concern one bit. In order to stay afloat under that scenerio, we will really have to rely on excellent defense and just hope we can make a play or two more than the opponent down the stretch.

But DC2 did have a subtle effect on our D. He provided great depth at center, used from the start. It is very hard for JB to give time to his third string center outside of the unusual new trick of starting them. Getting minutes from DC2 allows for aggressive play from the centers with no real threat of foul problems. This advantage played out with SDSU and LVille.

Also, I think it is hard to give up on the dream that the potential of DC2 gives us in future years. That highly sought after post game needs to be fostered and developed. We already know JG is going to be good. You pair him with the post game that can be from DC2 and you have the makings of a future nightmare squad. In the past it has been hard for JB to develop players for the future. He came up with this annointed token starter bit a couple years back and it has really helped him. I like it and really hope he doesn't scrap it, and certainly not with the scary potential of DC2 on the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom