I hate 'goats' | Syracusefan.com

I hate 'goats'

SWC75

Bored Historian
I hate it when a team loses and all the blame goes on one guy. Firstly, there are always things that could have been done prior to the play everybody is talking aobut that could have made a difference, (such as Evans holding onto a ball that would once have been ruled a touchdown even as it was). Kickers are hired to do one thing and do it consistantly well and when they fail, there' s nothing they can do to make up for it. Imagine being the Baltimore kicker, (a pro-bowler), and heading back to the locker room, where Ray Lewis may have seen his last chance to get back to the Super Bowl go away when he kicked it wide left.

How was that not a TD? Not even reviewed? Are you kidding me? PI on the next play, no call.

How was that not a TD? Not even reviewed? Are you kidding me? PI on the next play, no call.
Don't think it was a TD...but there was definitely interference on the next play.

(such as Evans holding onto a ball that would once have been ruled a touchdown even as it was)

It would have been a TD in college.

He never had possession and two feet down. His second was coming down touching the ground to make it a TD the very instant the swat came. It was literally as close as you can get.

Same with Vernon Davis' foot and the sideline.

It would have been a TD in college.

He never had possession and two feet down. His second was coming down touching the ground to make it a TD the very instant the swat came. It was literally as close as you can get.

Same with Vernon Davis' foot and the sideline.

I remember a play in a 70's era post season game, (not sure which), where a a guy leaped for and grasped the ball for literally an instant before the got slammed to the ground by a tackle and the ball went flying. But he had it for a frame of film or so and the refs called it a touchdown on that basis. That was probably too much to the other extreme. Now they have this "complete the football play" business and you have to catch the ball and then defend it before it's a touchdown.

It happened again. Two great games today. One decided when a pro bowl kicker missed a chip-shot field goal. In the other a back-up punt returner muffed one and fumbled another, both giving the oppositon chances to score which they took advantage of to win the game.

I'm not saying the wrong team won or that the goat didn't screw up. I just prefer when the blame isn't focused on one guy. SU's loss on Saturday was at least a team loss. Everybody shared the burden. I can just imagine what the losing locker rooms were like today. Everybody looking at one guy- or trying not to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom