I have a new thought process this year | Syracusefan.com

I have a new thought process this year

jec1521

2nd String
A couple years ago, i would have been very pissed after a loss like yesterday. But After 2010 and 2012, and the way those seasons ended, I honestly don't care about our record any more. I'm tired of 30+ in seasons, only to end up fizzling out in march (for whatever reason). i know JB doesn't prescribe to this thought process, buy I'd honestly not mind losing a couple more big east games in order to develop our players and gear up for a run in march.

I've said it before, I love JB, but he can be very stubborn. It takes injuries and suspensions for him to give our bench players/young players meaningful minutes. Going all in on a group of 7 guys may work throughout the regular season, but it can come back and bite you, which it has in 2010 and last season.

I'm almost glad that Southerland got suspended (as long as he comes back, of course) because it has forced jb to give Coleman cooney and especially grant more minutes. Let's face it. If southerland was never suspended, grant would be riding the pine.

You need to get better as the season progresses by developing the bench, because as we all know, happens.

As great of a coach as JB is, I think this is his one major downfall, and a big reason why he has only one NC is 40 years of coaching.

That being said, were lucky to have him and he's forgotten more basketball than I will ever know. Just my 2 cents as a 23 year old watching Syracuse for 12 years now...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This is probably a season where the National Champs will have lost a few games. Other people have said this, and it seems right. What we want to see from those losses is - to paraphrase someone - "Is our players learning?" So, a loss can be instructive or it can be the beginning of an unraveling. Let us hope it's the former!

Like, say, 2003 maybe? :D
Exactamundo! And I can't help but wonder if this is the year that some team will come out of "nowhere," like we did in 2003, and win it all. Oh, yeah, like UConn did, too! I am still hopeful for our team, but it's a weird damn year, no doubt about it.

SOUTHERLAND! Why? "Oh, lost, and by the wind ghost grieved..."

I don't care if we lose 7 more games and receive a 7 seed as long as we win 4+ starting March 21.

10 years feels like a frickin' decade.

Exactamundo! And I can't help but wonder if this is the year that some team will come out of "nowhere," like we did in 2003, and win it all. Oh, yeah, like UConn did, too! I am still hopeful for our team, but it's a weird damn year, no doubt about it.

Well, I didn't expect to read a Thomas Wolfe quote on the board today. Well done.

Yeah I don't care if we're a 1 seed or a 4 seed, we haven't had great luck being the 1 seed twice in the past three years so why not try something else out. :D I actually would prefer being a 2 and playing the 7/10 game second as I feel the 8/9 usually has tougher opponents.

Nice, a Thomas Wolfe quote...but the correct wording is...

" O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost,..."

I don't care how much JB developed players in 2010 and 2012. We were not going to win championships those years without Arinze and Fab - if their backups had got more play during the year, it would not have mattered IMHO. We did not lose the possibility of championships in those years because of JB's stubbornness, we lost them because of a fluke injury and a guy who did not do his schoolwork.

Nice, a Thomas Wolfe quote...but the correct wording is...

" O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost,..."
You know what? I NEVER get that right! Thanks.

I've said it before, I love JB, but he can be very stubborn. It takes injuries and suspensions for him to give our bench players/young players meaningful minutes. Going all in on a group of 7 guys may work throughout the regular season, but it can come back and bite you, which it has in 2010 and last season.

I'm almost glad that Southerland got suspended (as long as he comes back, of course) because it has forced jb to give Coleman cooney and especially grant more minutes. Let's face it. If southerland was never suspended, grant would be riding the pine.

You need to get better as the season progresses by developing the bench, because as we all know, happens.

As great of a coach as JB is, I think this is his one major downfall, and a big reason why he has only one NC is 40 years of coaching.

That being said, were lucky to have him and he's forgotten more basketball than I will ever know. Just my 2 cents as a 23 year old watching Syracuse for 12 years now...

I've been following SU since 1974 and in that time have come to realize JB has a simple formula for court time:

A= Get passing grades.
B= Be respectful toward him and your team mates.
C= Be a good citizen.
D= Wait your turn, upper class loyalty.

Of course big time talent has trumped the formula on occasion, but JB rarely tries to develop players at the expense of players that have earned PT based on the formula.

Really not any different from most other college coaches.

I honestly don't care about our record any more. I'm tired of 30+ in seasons, only to end up fizzling out in march (for whatever reason). i know JB doesn't prescribe to this thought process, buy I'd honestly not mind losing a couple more big east games in order to develop our players and gear up for a run in march.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
What an arrogant, spoiled crew of new fans SU has brewing. Sick of 30 win seasons? Get a grip, this is a golden era. Things can happen in a single loss tournament. There is no guarantee of deep runs if JB played more people more minutes. And JB has changed, he is starting DC2, started Rak last season.

This loss sucks because it is so un-SU like. Coughing away the game when up 3 and the ball with less than 14 seconds to go. Rarely done now-a-days. Hurts.

Getting to over 30 wins this year would be quite an accomplishment. There are only a handful of teams that do that each year. Would winning the BE title mean anything to you or has that become routine too?

I understand a lot of people are NCAAT centric. But I don't think people should lose track of the possibilities of a special season. It hurts to me when we let one we had in the hand, slip out.

You know what is better than winning the title would be winning the title after winning the BE and winning the BET and accumulating over 30 wins. You do not increase your odds of winning the NCAAT by winning less in the regular season - that's absurd.

What an arrogant, spoiled crew of new fans SU has brewing. Sick of 30 win seasons? Get a grip, this is a golden era. Things can happen in a single loss tournament. There is no guarantee of deep runs if JB played more people more minutes. And JB has changed, he is starting DC2, started Rak last season.

This loss sucks because it is so un-SU like. Coughing away the game when up 3 and the ball with less than 14 seconds to go. Rarely done now-a-days. Hurts.

Getting to over 30 wins this year would be quite an accomplishment. There are only a handful of teams that do that each year. Would winning the BE title mean anything to you or has that become routine too?

I understand a lot of people are NCAAT centric. But I don't think people should lose track of the possibilities of a special season. It hurts to me when we let one we had in the hand, slip out.

You know what is better than winning the title would be winning the title after winning the BE and winning the BET and accumulating over 30 wins. You do not increase your odds of winning the NCAAT by winning less in the regular season - that's absurd.

DC2, Rak, and Fab were all token starts in their freshman seasons... cmon now...

I'm not spoiled. We have been playing amazing basketball for 3.5 years in a row now. It's great to watch and I do not take it for granted. But arent you a little annoyed when people point out JB has only made 4 final fours in 40 years of coaching?

And to answer your question about the Big East title, I don't care all that much about it. The NCAA's is where it counts. We won the Big East tournament in 2005. Do we remember that, or do we remember TJ Sorrentine hitting a shot from the parking lot?

If our Golden Era of Syracuse hoops means zero final fours, I'm not sure I'd be OK with that...

I don't care how much JB developed players in 2010 and 2012. We were not going to win championships those years without Arinze and Fab - if their backups had got more play during the year, it would not have mattered IMHO. We did not lose the possibility of championships in those years because of JB's stubbornness, we lost them because of a fluke injury and a guy who did not do his schoolwork.

We were only one win away from the final four last season. You're telling me we couldn't have won that game if Rak actually played more then the first 2 minutes of each game during the regular season?

Jec - Rak has played a lot more this year - you think we win a championship last year with the Rak we have this year? Rak in either year does not compare to the defensive presence Fab provided.

Jec - Rak has played a lot more this year - you think we win a championship last year with the Rak we have this year? Rak in either year does not compare to the defensive presence Fab provided.

I would say we could have easily beaten OSU to get to the final four. He could not stop Sullinger. HHed be able to this year.

We were only one win away from the final four last season. You're telling me we couldn't have won that game if Rak actually played more then the first 2 minutes of each game during the regular season?
With his competitive attitude improving only slightly from last year, I doubt it.

We got 9 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks from our centers in the Ohio State game last year. We didn't lose because of them.

Like, say, 2003 maybe? :D

Here's a chart of how many losses NCAA Tournament winners have had:

0 1956, 1957, 1964, 1967, 1972, 1973, 1976

1 1955, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1974

2 1943, 1946, 1949, 1951, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1978, 1982, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2012

3 1940, 1941, 1947, 1948, 1952, 1953, 1960, 1961, 1975, 1980, 1984, 1994, 2008

4 1942, 1944, 1945, 1954, 1959, 1987, 1993, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009

5 1939, 1950, 1990, 2003, 2007, 2010

6 1958, 1979, 2004, 2006

7 1977, 1986, 1989, 1991, 2000

9 1981, 1997, 2011

10 1983, 1985

11 1988

We're in an era where national champions tend to have 4-6 losses. I suspect it will be in that range again but it's more likely to be more than that than is less than that.

I've been following SU since 1974 and in that time have come to realize JB has a simple formula for court time:

A= Get passing grades.
B= Be respectful toward him and your team mates.
C= Be a good citizen.
D= Wait your turn, upper class loyalty.

Of course big time talent has trumped the formula on occasion, but JB rarely tries to develop players at the expense of players that have earned PT based on the formula.

Really not any different from most other college coaches.

Apologies if my sarcasm meter has failed me. (B) and (D) may be taken into consideration, but they're not as high on the list as some other things. (A) and (C) aren't even on the radar - if being a good citizen were a prerequisite for court time, a number of our all-league players would never have left the bench.

Boeheim's criteria for doling out court time, in increasing importance:

1.) Willingness to rebound;
2.) Willingness to defend;
3.) Likelihood that your minutes will lead to a win for Syracuse.

I still think we lose to Kentucky last year in the championship game. They were just too talented. In 2010 with A.O. I think we walk to the trophy. Most complete SU team I have ever seen.

I still think we lose to Kentucky last year in the championship game. They were just too talented. In 2010 with A.O. I think we walk to the trophy. Most complete SU team I have ever seen.

Still baffles me how people can say this. Did we have a great shot? Yes. Would we have been a favorite? Most likely. A guaranteed victory? Negative.

Still baffles me how people can say this. Did we have a great shot? Yes. Would we have been a favorite? Most likely. A guaranteed victory? Negative.

There are no guarantees but I like our chances. We barely lost to Butler, (and might have won with a correct call on the out-of-bounds play) and Butler lost in the title game when a shot rimmed out at the buzzer. AO was certainly worth that difference. He gave us two inside scorers and we wouldn't have had to try to force the ball the Ricky as we did, which resulted in all those turnovers.

I agree that Kentucky had the best team last year but they weren't beating people by 20-30 points and I would have liked to have a shot at them, full strength. They didn't have any guarantees, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom