i hope that when hopkins takes over | Syracusefan.com

i hope that when hopkins takes over

orangehomer

All American
we go back to recruiting the best actual basketball players we can get and then actually coaching them, rather than recruiting measurables and trying to coach them into a system. for instance, it would be nice to recruit some guards that can actually dribble and shoot, rather than recruiting guys with long arms and trying to make them into guards.

we go back to recruiting the best actual basketball players we can get and then actually coaching them, rather than recruiting measurables and trying to coach them into a system. for instance, it would be nice to recruit some guards that can actually dribble and shoot, rather than recruiting guys with long arms and trying to make them into guards.
I appreciate that perspective, but I don't really agree with it. Who are you talking about? We recruited battle, and no one was disappointed when we signed him. Are you saying Michigan has the same flawed recruiting scheme? Cooney didn't have long arms. Quade doesn't have long arms. The Bookworm Assassin didn't have long arms. The Buss didn't have long arms.

It is, though, a problem that we aren't signing elite talent. We are used to having more talent on the court than just about everyone we play. Recently, though, we are getting kids in the 20-75 range, and then acting like they're better than that, but then finding they were ranked there for a reason. Some of our kids, even the ones we like the most, have holes or flaws in their games so, even though we see them on draft boards, they're not as effective for us as we need them to be.

I don't know how we "get back to recruiting the best," when we are coming off probation, a lame duck coach, an incoming coach with no resume, back to back average league seasons, and now the potential for a last place finish. Then, when JB does leave after that downward slope, everyone will say, I told ya so, when Hopkins can't match jb's success, having inherited a bad situation.

Recruiting will be the key, though. We need to luck into a Pearl or Carmelo situation to right the ship and begin a new trend.

I appreciate that perspective, but I don't really agree with it. Who are you talking about? We recruited battle, and no one was disappointed when we signed him. Are you saying Michigan has the same flawed recruiting scheme? Cooney didn't have long arms. Quade doesn't have long arms. The Bookworm Assassin didn't have long arms. The Buss didn't have long arms.

It is, though, a problem that we aren't signing elite talent. We are used to having more talent on the court than just about everyone we play. Recently, though, we are getting kids in the 20-75 range, and then acting like they're better than that, but then finding they were ranked there for a reason. Some of our kids, even the ones we like the most, have holes or flaws in their games so, even though we see them on draft boards, they're not as effective for us as we need them to be.

I don't know how we "get back to recruiting the best," when we are coming off probation, a lame duck coach, an incoming coach with no resume, back to back average league seasons, and now the potential for a last place finish. Then, when JB does leave after that downward slope, everyone will say, I told ya so, when Hopkins can't match jb's success, having inherited a bad situation.

Recruiting will be the key, though. We need to luck into a Pearl or Carmelo situation to right the ship and begin a new trend.
Hop has to bring in a recruiting maven. Like Troy Weaver.

Buss did have loooooong arms...lol No issue there. Hop not POUNDING this past summer recruiting session and following up (while on Olympic vacation) will hurt for years to come. Last probation vaulted UConn into relevance. Someone else will replace us in the same manner (i.e VT for example). My point is we needed to work harder this past summer...NOT less. The downslide is well on the way. This could turn into a 5+ year downward trend. Not good.. CHANGE...please.

Hop has to bring in a recruiting maven. Like Troy Weaver.
And someone who can teach our bigs the nuances of how to 'score the ball' in the paint. As much as I like Hopkins, and I don't care what anyone says about xmas, I'm sick of seeing our centers and PFs looking so incompetent so close to the rim.

Q: how do you recognize a recruiting maven? Who's got an extra one or one we can poach?

And someone who can teach our bigs the nuances of how to 'score the ball' in the paint. As much as I like Hopkins, and I don't care what anyone says about xmas, I'm sick of seeing our centers and PFs looking so incompetent so close to the rim.

Q: how do you recognize a recruiting maven? Who's got an extra one or one we can poach?
You don't think that in the business, people know who the top recruiters are? You think we got lucky when we brought Weaver in?

You don't think that in the business, people know who the top recruiters are? You think we got lucky when we brought Weaver in?
I didn't suggest anything either way. I was ASKING.
But, to follow up on your reply, it seems to me that recruiting is a lot like being the driver of a formula 1 car. You can only win races if you have one of the best cars and there have been champions who have one titles only Because they had the best car. It's situational. So, how do you know if a great recruiter is great because he's recruiting to a great situation? St. John's just hired a "great recruiter." Do we believe he's going to deliver for St. John's like he did in his previous position? And again, I'm just asking, since I don't know the names of any recruiters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom