I know its only 2 exhibition games but..... | Syracusefan.com

I know its only 2 exhibition games but.....

CU44SE

All Conference
Kieta and James have both been terrific. It has been said in some other posts as well but they have both expanded their game. Starting with Kieta, he seems to be catching the ball cleanly, and developing some post moves. I cant help but wonder if having Hopkins coach the centers has improved Kieta's play. Obviously Hopkins is a in your face, hype you up kind of coach compared to Bernie. Whenever I see Hop on the sidelines getting into games it gets me excited. I would love to play for that type of guy. He motivates you, and it makes you want to perform that much better. I think he pushes the guys in practice and that in turn transfers over to the games. Maybe Bernie was different in practice, but I don't believe he can improve players the way Hopkins can. Hopkins can do the drills with the players, work with them as they are doing the moves, and also demonstrate how they should be performed at full speed. I just don't see Bernie doing that, he was a bigger guy that seemed to be very tame. I don't see how he can provide the coaching that Hopkins can. I may be looking to much into it but I believe having Hopkins coach the centers will be big. He is a former guard and he knows how easy it is to get the ball when its low. My hope is that he is stressing ball handling, and keeping the ball high so it cant be poked away. Im not saying I want my Centers to run the point, but improving their ball handling can improve their offensive game a great deal. The more these Centers handle the ball, the more comfortable they will feel.

Now for Southerland, his ball handling seems to improved a great deal. I don't believe that even a year ago he could have led that fast break today. His ball handling wont be that of a guards, but it isn't as big of a liability as it used to be. Kris Joseph was never the greatest ball handler. Im trying not to read to much into his outstanding 3pt shooting because of the way he started off last year (was on fire). Hopefully it continues, but I'm not sure. I honestly believe that his poor shooting is related to his nerves. He has never really struggled in the early season (always seems to be really loose against weaker competition). The issues arose when we played tougher teams and I believe he may get a little tight when he shoots. The thing that does get me excited however is that I believe that he now has confidence in his ability to dribble. He will no longer feel the need to either shoot or pass. He now has the ability to pump fake, and dribble around his guy keeping his defenders more honest. This may be the confidence boost he needs to continue his hot shooting through the year.

The team seemed to improve these last two games, hopefully that continues to happen throughout the season. Im excited to see how this team responds early in the year, we lost a lot of leadership from last years team. I believe come March, this team will be ready to compete for a National Championship. I can't wait for Friday, it will be a fun way to start the year. GO ORANGE!!!!!