I know RPI means nothing right now | Syracusefan.com

I know RPI means nothing right now

Eric15

Living Legend
RPI is weird.
How is Texas A&M only #46 with wins over WVU, Ok St and Penn State on a neutral court and a win @USC, with no losses, yet Oregon with 2 losses and their best win over DePaul at #9??

EDIT: Actually Realtime RPI looks way off. On ESPN, for example, A&M is #1 in the RPI, and we're #27.

still a ton of last year baked in there... gotta wait til January for it to start looking "real"

still a ton of last year baked in there... gotta wait til January for it to start looking "real"

RPI should have nothing to do with last year, it's just your record, opp record, and opp opp record. Unless I missed something?

RPI should have nothing to do with last year, it's just your record, opp record, and opp opp record. Unless I missed something?
oops, yeah, I had kenpom on the brain

Pretty sure the RPI is supposed to hold less weight than ever this year. You’re going to want to monitor Kenpom, BPI and Sagarin as well.

I hear you, but there are certain metrics like "no team has ever gotten an at-large bid with an RPI below X" that I think are still worth noting.

I hear you, but there are certain metrics like "no team has ever gotten an at-large bid with an RPI below X" that I think are still worth noting.

Are we now the lowest rated RPI team to make it? I know in 2016 we were very close. ("know" = I think we were but am too lazy to look it up)

Also, thanks to "Bingo" who currently has us as a 4 seed in the tourney on Bracketmatrix.

Capture.JPG

Are we now the lowest rated RPI team to make it? I know in 2016 we were very close. ("know" = I think we were but am too lazy to look it up)

I think USC broke that last year. It’s been broke like 3 years in a row. I’m sure there’s a rule where nobody below x Kenpom rating has made it either.

I think USC broke that last year. It’s been broke like 3 years in a row. I’m sure there’s a rule where nobody below x Kenpom rating has made it either.

Which goes to show what you said, RPI is carrying less weight.

Obviously, some team has to have the lowest RPI of any team allowed in the field. And there's also probably an RPI level at which past it's very unlikely you can put together a legit NCAA tournament resume. But I would say a poor RPI is less important now than ever before.