I know some have lamented the loss of Mookie | Syracusefan.com

I know some have lamented the loss of Mookie

Orangemen

All Conference
But I don't think we're gonna miss him this year.

As a 4th guard (defensively), there isn't much difference between him and Southerland. If anything, I would think JS will block more shots than Mookie would have.

Offensively, Mookie also didn't give us anything that JS can't bring to the table.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love JS at the top of the zone, but I never loved Mookie there either.

It's called "addition by subtraction." Mookie was one that Boeheim and staff missed out on in their evaluations. Took up a valuable roster spot for 4 years. Wish they had gotten the kid that went to West Virginia and developed into an NBA prospect.

Not having Mookie this year might cost us an undefeated season.

If we had Mookie back there's no way ESPN insider would've snubbed our back court

Yea really? I don't remember anything close to that.
I feel like the board was in full lamentation mode. Or at least general teeth gnashing, or maybe at worst mild to non-existent discomfort.;)

I think there was some concern put forth that it would have been nice to have Mookie on board as a 4th guard just in case. It wasn't a general consensus, but it was put out there.

Meh. Mookie at least would have been an experienced reserve. He's not a pure guard--more of a 3 like Fair / Southerland--and I don't think he would have played a ton anyway [barring a backcourt injury]. But as a fifth year senior, he would have been a decent insurance policy.

That said, if we avoid backcourt injury, I'm fine with him not being around. Too many distractions during his time on the Hill, and sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt. If nobody gets hurt, we'll be fine with three guards.

i still would have rather had mook as an emergency 4th guard then having to try to play cj or southerland there

i still would have rather had mook as an emergency 4th guard then having to try to play cj or southerland there

Yeah I joked about it upthread but if there's an injury to one of our guards (hoping I didn't jinx anything) we're probably going to wish we had Mookie

If we had Mookie, I firmly believe we could beat a pro basketball team.

The Washington Generals would simply be no match for us.

As a 4th guard (defensively), there isn't much difference between him and Southerland. If anything, I would think JS will block more shots than Mookie would have.
Offensively, Mookie also didn't give us anything that JS can't bring to the table.
Don't get me wrong, I don't love JS at the top of the zone, but I never loved Mookie there either.

over/under on number of Mookie posts this season - 17

Agree 1000%.