I know this was discussed the other day, but I'm peeved with 4lettr ntwrk & Dickie V | Syracusefan.com

I know this was discussed the other day, but I'm peeved with 4lettr ntwrk & Dickie V

WaHoos4Me

Scout Team
handling of the Duke/UNC game tomorrow... I posted on the sabre, a few minutes ago, that he wasn't my cup of tea, but he'd done a hell of a job representing college bball and cancer... he deserves his game, which as everyone knows is the rivalry in college bball... That 4 letter network should have the decency to give him a 3rd chair alongside Bilas and who ever else they decide is worthy of announcing this game...

Alas, I hope TN pulls off the upset of the year and Dickie V gets a great call... Thanks for all you've done for the college game, Coach Vitale...

handling of the Duke/UNC game tomorrow... I posted on the sabre, a few minutes ago, that he wasn't my cup of tea, but he'd done a hell of a job representing college bball and cancer... he deserves his game, which as everyone knows is the rivalry in college bball... That 4 letter network should have the decency to give him a 3rd chair alongside Bilas and who ever else they decide is worthy of announcing this game...

Alas, I hope TN pulls off the upset of the year and Dickie V gets a great call... Thanks for all you've done for the college game, Coach Vitale...
He has out stayed his welcome. Obviously the 4 letter company hoped he would leave on his own. If he was in corporate America his office would be getting smaller.

The show him loyalty every time they pay him. It's called business.
I understand the business aspect, but it seems that last year he was still on the A team... Yes, he's made multiple mistakes during broadcasts, including the calling of the Hoo fans Ho's, but surely his work throughout his tenure is deserving of one last hoorah... give him the 3rd seat in the game, but let him have one last diaper dandy, PTP'er, BMOC call during the biggest rivalry game, with no real bearing on anything this year, either nationally or conference related opportunity...

I understand the business aspect, but it seems that last year he was still on the A team... Yes, he's made multiple mistakes during broadcasts, including the calling of the Hoo fans Ho's, but surely his work throughout his tenure is deserving of one last hoorah... give him the 3rd seat in the game, but let him have one last diaper dandy, PTP'er, BMOC call during the biggest rivalry game, with no real bearing on anything this year, either nationally or conference related opportunity...
Did he really call them "Ho's?"
A classic.
And of course no one corrected him, right?

Television is a shallow business.
Would be nice to give him a nice sendoff...but don't count on it.
Looks like he's getting a phase-out...which is somewhat better than a force out.

Dick Vitale is one of the nicest guys in the business.
He genuinely enjoys interacting with fans and loves the game.
He's been a big cheerleader for college hoops.
(Notwithstanding the unfortunate treatment of Les Cason, his star at (then) East Rutherford (NJ) High School ...the situation that led to Vitale's shot at Rutgers and all that's followed).

Did he really call them "Ho's?"
A classic.
And of course no one corrected him, right?

Television is a shallow business.
Would be nice to give him a nice sendoff...but don't count on it.
Looks like he's getting a phase-out...which is somewhat better than a force out.

Dick Vitale is one of the nicest guys in the business.
He genuinely enjoys interacting with fans and loves the game.
He's been a big cheerleader for college hoops.
(Notwithstanding the unfortunate treatment of Les Cason, his star at (then) East Rutherford (NJ) High School ...the situation that led to Vitale's shot at Rutgers and all that's followed).
He did, indeed, call them/us, Ho's... This was during the Louisville game this year of course and to paraphrase, Charlottesville loves its Ho's... Oh yeah, They love them... Yes, it was extremely funny, and yes, it was a gleaming error, but no one corrected the statement, rightfully so; because to correct an icon makes you and him an as$... and everyone knew what he intended... just didn't come out correct...

I am looking forward to watching my first UNC Duke game in decades. I absolutely refuse to watch any game Dickie V calls. The only time I will tolerate him is on the rare occasions when he calls SU games. He should have been bounced years ago. Shame on ESPN for keeping him on for so long.

It is such a pleasure listening to Bilas.

He has out stayed his welcome. Obviously the 4 letter company hoped he would leave on his own. If he was in corporate America his office would be getting smaller.
So basically you're saying, this is Dickie V:

172018-4_milton-20cfox_slide.jpg

Hard to hate Vitale. The man is a class act. I remember watching him at the Dome last year before the Duke game and he literally stopped, and either took a picture, or signed an autograph with every single person that wanted one, all while laughing and smiling the whole time. He can get a bit carried away during broadcasts, but how do you get mad at your Grandpa?

Dick Vitale loves college hoops. It's an end of an era when he stepdad away.

Hard to hate Vitale. The man is a class act. I remember watching him at the Dome last year before the Duke game and he literally stopped, and either took a picture, or signed an autograph with every single person that wanted one, all while laughing and smiling the whole time. He can get a bit carried away during broadcasts, but how do you get mad at your Grandpa?
I will tell you how? Vitale is the greatest front runner in the world. He will leave a top celeb if a even bigger celeb shows up. That is why he loves Duke and Kentucky. All of his life he wanted to be a cool kid. I guess that is okay. But he does it at the expense of others. Want to watch your team on tv. Be prepared to hear about Duke or Kentucky during the game. I won't miss him.

Not a fan...much rather listen to Bilas & Raf...

When he was ubiquitous and he spent 120 minutes waxing poetic about Duke, North Carolina and all things ACC, regardless of who was actually playing, it was absolutely nauseating.

Seemed kind of sudden...at least let him go out with UNC/Duke and do a proper "Sign Off"

I'm not a huge fan of Vitals in game work, never have been. That said he's been great at building excitement and endorsing the game of college bball over the years. Like him or not he developed his own shtick that hyped the college game in a very positive way for many years. I'm sure that ESPN is ready to move into another direction for their main prime time guys which is fine and their prerogative, I have no issues with this nor do I think its a real slight to Vitale as he has in some sense become a caricature of himself while doing live games which for many can be tough to take since there was a time he actually spent a vast majority of his air time during a game talking about that game and those specific programs. I worry that he is the kind of guy that once he's done could fade fast and ESPN still lets Knight do games (who has pretty much lost it, sadly) so I hope Vital can do games until he no longer wants to even if its not prime time anymore. By almost every account I have ever heard Vital has come across as a very nice person face to face and always willing to give of his time so whatever I think of his style I would like him to be able to continue on as long as he wants to.

I'm not a huge fan of Vitals in game work, never have been. That said he's been great at building excitement and endorsing the game of college bball over the years. Like him or not he developed his own shtick that hyped the college game in a very positive way for many years. I'm sure that ESPN is ready to move into another direction for their main prime time guys which is fine and their prerogative, I have no issues with this nor do I think its a real slight to Vitale as he has in some sense become a caricature of himself while doing live games which for many can be tough to take since there was a time he actually spent a vast majority of his air time during a game talking about that game and those specific programs. I worry that he is the kind of guy that once he's done could fade fast and ESPN still lets Knight do games (who has pretty much lost it, sadly) so I hope Vital can do games until he no longer wants to even if its not prime time anymore. By almost every account I have ever heard Vital has come across as a very nice person face to face and always willing to give of his time so whatever I think of his style I would like him to be able to continue on as long as he wants to.

It's amazing to watch some of Vitale's games on ESPN Classic and see how him actually talking about the game he was announcing. That being said, he has done a ton for the game and by all accounts, is a great person. I wish he would have had the chance to do the UNC Duke game tonight.

I've watched quite a few random games where he would bring us up out of nowhere as well. It wasn't all Duke, all the time.

I've watched quite a few random games where he would bring us up out of nowhere as well. It wasn't all Duke, all the time.
yeah, but it was usually negative. Why won't they leave New York, baby? Why can't they hit free throws, baby. In '91, he talked about the potential for Jb to be fired. The guy had his day. He has been paid very well. And no business lets a guy go on forever. Johnny Carson didn't go out all on his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom