I Like the FSU President | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I Like the FSU President

One other major point, that I saw someone else make - the sports dollars are dwarfed in comparison to the other money that the university has to fund operations. Florida State is trying to overcome a $100M+ revenue shortfall from the state. An extra $3M for sports is nearly irrelevant against that backdrop. The only people who care about the $3M instead of the $100M work in the athletic department or in the sports media.

Yeah, I'd like to know if this idiot Haggard made such a fuss about 1/5 of the academic budget being slashed that he did about the 2.4 million AD shortfall. No wonder the country is in the toilet with attitudes like this. I've read that athletics donations are approaching one quarter of all university donations nationwide. Our priorities are all out of whack. And it's really disturbing to see people like Haggard in positions of importance when it comes to university decision making.

I'm sooo losing my taste for major college athletics. I mean does the football program exist for the sake of the university or the other way around?

It's almost starting to to seem like it is the other way around. Haggard has seen too many American cowboy movies and from what I can see the president is more of a Roy Rogers fan.

People want the quick fix thing along with it being a bit of a phallic type move by the Haggard. He see's other schools making money and he can't "compete" because they need that updated "whatever" thing to replace the one they bought two years ago because the others have newer and better ones.

Out of curiosity...would Pitt have to pay the 20 million if they decided to go to the Big 12? If I were FSU this weekend I'd be whispering in their ear about leaving.

-----------------------

Barron is stating that academic affiliation is extremely important: "The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker".

Could he have stated his views more clearly?

He's not going to get into a debate with Haggard; he's stating his view in his own way.

I suppose anything's possible, but it strikes me a poor way to "respond" to that portion of Haggard's argument. Haggard claimed that association was unimportant then gave his reason(s) why (his silly "people don't mention conference on their resume" example). A better way for Barron to combat that myopic POV would have been to briefly summarize the inherent benefits of the ACCIAC. Instead, he didn't provide any rebuttal, which says to me that he believes Haggard's point was so absurd that he need not deign to acknowledge it.

How much does a conference really have to do with academic reputation? How much money does it add? Students does it recruit? Do they have a superfund that they pool together?

How much does a conference really have to do with academic reputation? How much money does it add? Students does it recruit? Do they have a superfund that they pool together?

All good questions, and one of the reasons why I think Barron's "manifesto" should have included a more detailed argument for academics than just "the faculty likes the ACC." If that's going to be one of your bullet points, you need to back it up a little more. Again, even a superficial discussion of the ACCIAC would have helped, but he really needs to go deeper than that. For example, when Boston College moved to the ACC, its President at least acknowledged that part of the equation:
First, from an academic standpoint, I believe that the ACC is a great fit for Boston College. It has five universities - Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Georgia Tech - that, like us, are ranked among the top 40 national universities, and it is a conference with a balanced mix of private and public institutions ... Finally and very important to me, the ACC is committed to a program of academic cooperation and collaboration that encourages faculty and student exchanges as well as sharing library resources, something not done in the Big East.
Of course, as noted by Guinness in an earlier post, a lot of the fans clamoring for this move didn't even go to Florida State, so such an argument is likely to fall on deaf ears anyway.

Thanks Chris, I always wondered about the hodge podge big east and how it handled pooling resources together.

I wonder how many "fans" FSU has on the BOT, at least where their priorities stand.

Of course, as noted by Guinness in an earlier post, a lot of the fans clamoring for this move didn't even go to Florida State, so such an argument is likely to fall on deaf ears anyway.

For the record I don't have any real issue with folks being fans of a school they did not attend. My point which I should have been more clear is that most of those fans have a very different agenda then someone who is a fan because they either attended a school or work for said school.

For the record I don't have any real issue with folks being fans of a school they did not attend. My point which I should have been more clear is that most of those fans have a very different agenda then someone who is a fan because they either attended a school or work for said school.

Oh, me neither. My point is just that different segments of the fanbase (alums, faculty, football only fans, et al) are likely to be swayed by different arguments, as they often have very disparate agendas. However, that may be a moot point in this case, as I'm not really getting the impression that a majority of alums are clamoring to stay in the ACC. Their fanbase seems pretty united in this (the faculty on the other hand...).

All good questions, and one of the reasons why I think Barron's "manifesto" should have included a more detailed argument for academics than just "the faculty likes the ACC." If that's going to be one of your bullet points, you need to back it up a little more. Again, even a superficial discussion of the ACCIAC would have helped, but he really needs to go deeper than that. For example, when Boston College moved to the ACC, its President at least acknowledged that part of the equation:

"First, from an academic standpoint, I believe that the ACC is a great fit for Boston College. It has five universities - Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Georgia Tech - that, like us, are ranked among the top 40 national universities, and it is a conference with a balanced mix of private and public institutions ... Finally and very important to me, the ACC is committed to a program of academic cooperation and collaboration that encourages faculty and student exchanges as well as sharing library resources, something not done in the Big East."

------------------------

Good points.

In my opinion, the issue isn't the ACC IAC at this point, though that could be an evolving program.

I see it as "branding 101"; the athletic program is a high profile PR program for many universities. However, how does it reflect on the school?

FSU obviously is a large state university, with a built in tuition advantage in recruiting students. However, they are recruiting faculty and students compared to other state and private schools and they have students graduating and alumni looking for jobs.

My guess is most alumni are located in Florida and along the Atlantic coast.

Association with Universities like UNC, UVA, GT, Miami, Duke and so on colors the "image" of FSU just as surely as do the subjective ratings of US News. And can influence/color how potential students, faculty, alumni, and even potential employers feel about a school.

From the perspective of SU, as a private and expensive University, my own belief is that continued association with UL, Cinn, Boise, Houston, Memphis, Temple and so on would be very damaging to the university's "brand".

For FSU, this is an issue of geography, finances and ultimately values: Tallahassee is within SEC country so perhaps association with the Big 12 or SEC schools is considered a positive along with the increased payout.

Clearly, Haggard sees no big deal or harm to associating with WVU and company. Barron clearly does.

Perhaps this opens an SEC option? Time will tell.

Florida State president Dr. Eric Barron has written a memo that includes four key points that would support a move from the ACC to the Big 12 and seven longer key points that argue against it:
I want to assure you that any decision made about FSU athletics will be reasoned and thoughtful and based on athletics, finances and academics. Allow me to provide you with some of the issues we are facing:

---------------------------------------

Barron further explains his views:

"But Barron also said he was surprised to hear that people think he has now made up his mind on FSU’s conference affiliation.

“I have no idea what the next few weeks or even days will bring,” Barron said. “I know I have alumni irritated because they think I made up my mind. What I am trying to say is this is not some simple thing."

"But Barron also said he was surprised to hear that people think he has now made up his mind on FSU’s conference affiliation.

“I have no idea what the next few weeks or even days will bring,” Barron said. “I know I have alumni irritated because they think I made up my mind. What I am trying to say is this is not some simple thing."

Those WVU fans sure got into his head.

Those WVU fans sure got into his head.

---------------

My guess is he is responding to the chair of the FSU Board of Trustees and FSU students/alumni; not so much to WVU fans.

Seems like he layed out his concerns: traveling allowance, traveling partners, need for clarity on revenue increase, scheduling as prelude to more detailed exploration of options, which could include discussions with the SEC, and shaping the discussion within the FSU community of students, alumni, faculty.

Any decision will require a lot of internal feedback and discussion and communication.

The problem for the ACC is the current contract extends till doomsday.

---------------

My guess is he is responding to the chair of the FSU Board of Trustees and FSU students/alumni; not so much to WVU fans.

I was just joking.