I like the way Coleman played | Syracusefan.com

I like the way Coleman played

when he came in for Roberson. He still doesn't deal with little guys well but he was so much more involved.

If he can't deal with the kiddie guys how's he going to deal with the big guys? Nothing's changed, he's overmatched and doesn't have a clue about playing the 5 in the zone.

I'm hoping for the best but expecting minimal improvement.

If he can't deal with the kiddie guys how's he going to deal with the big guys? Nothing's changed, he's overmatched and doesn't have a clue about playing the 5 in the zone.

I think he's a good rebounder. But he is Swiss cheese in the middle of the zone.

I think he's a good rebounder. But he is Swiss cheese in the middle of the zone.
I'm okay with being swiss cheese in the middle of the zone... the whole team is pretty bad on interior D anyways. Our main goal on D on the inside is hope the other team misses and make sure we get the board. We are going to get destroyed on the inside so we need to cause a TON of turnovers and grab any rebounds and pray that we get enough possessions to outscore teams.

when he came in for Roberson. He still doesn't deal with little guys well but he was so much more involved.

He put up a total goose egg in the first half.

He was a non-factor early in the 2nd half.

He played well down the stretch when he came in for Roberson, but the game was out of reach for a good chunk of those minutes.

I'm sceptical but hope he helps us. He's easy to root for but not going to ever live up to his hype and class ranking coming out of J-D.

I'm okay with being swiss cheese in the middle of the zone... the whole team is pretty bad on interior D anyways. Our main goal on D on the inside is hope the other team misses and make sure we get the board. We are going to get destroyed on the inside so we need to cause a TON of turnovers and grab any rebounds and pray that we get enough possessions to outscore teams.

Those interior issues will be solved next year by Chukwu (just his wingspan alone will make him a weapon on defense) and our incredible length in general.

Of course, that won't make your post about this year any less valid.

Those interior issues will be solved next year by Chukwu (just his wingspan alone will make him a weapon on defense) and our incredible length in general.

Of course, that won't make your post about this year any less valid.
Next year is final 4 or bust assuming we don't have premature departures (looking at you Malachi and Tyler). We need Howard and Joseph to develop in a big way for that to happen though so we're not 100% dependent on moyer and kid mamba. But man next year will be sick especially if we keep up with this style of play. This team is going to be a TON of fun so I'm going to stop thinking about next year.

Pre-season most of us were in the 20-25 minute camp max for coleman. If we can get 20 mins where he can be aggressive on the boards, we feed him down low a few times etc he will grow into that role. While he certainly shows some of the same signs he struggle with before he also has not played enough minutes for us to really have the chance to get into the games and build on something. Yes it was late game today but he was strong and attacked every single rebound. On defense he got caught a couple times.. part of that was malachi being out of position too and Coleman is not going to be the guy who can cover enough ground to make up for a mistake on the wing.

Pre-season most of us were in the 20-25 minute camp max for coleman. If we can get 20 mins where he can be aggressive on the boards, we feed him down low a few times etc he will grow into that role. While he certainly shows some of the same signs he struggle with before he also has not played enough minutes for us to really have the chance to get into the games and build on something. Yes it was late game today but he was strong and attacked every single rebound. On defense he got caught a couple times.. part of that was malachi being out of position too and Coleman is not going to be the guy who can cover enough ground to make up for a mistake on the wing.

The problem is he just doesn't get the defense at all. He's had 2 years to sit back and watch film on how the 5 plays in the zone, he's had months of practice since coming back, and he was being taught it his first two years here. He's probably never going to be a good defender for us.

The problem is he just doesn't get the defense at all. He's had 2 years to sit back and watch film on how the 5 plays in the zone, he's had months of practice since coming back, and he was being taught it his first two years here. He's probably never going to be a good defender for us.

Sadly this is true on the defensive end. At a minimum we have to have him to help rebound. Lydon did a nice job in spurts and I think he can manage it against ACC foes as well but not for an entire season. He is bound to get knicked up if forced to be there for 30 mins a game. We played god awful for stretches but there is no denying the Bonnies played extremely well and sound basketball as well. They looked the part of a top 8 ACC team for stretches. That is not necessarily surprising as that program has always been bipolar in having some really impressive performances each year only to fizzle out back to the mean.

Next year is final 4 or bust assuming we don't have premature departures (looking at you Malachi and Tyler). We need Howard and Joseph to develop in a big way for that to happen though so we're not 100% dependent on moyer and kid mamba. But man next year will be sick especially if we keep up with this style of play. This team is going to be a TON of fun so I'm going to stop thinking about next year.

It's so hard to go deep even when ur team is loaded but Cooney is gonna graduate so we have a shot

Big guys have often struggled against the early-season opponents without traditional centers.

That said, can't dispute your concerns or observations...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom