I love college bball, but some of these scores are embarassing | Syracusefan.com

I love college bball, but some of these scores are embarassing

Orangemen

All Conference
It used to be that not hitting 20 points in the first half was pathetic.

Now we've got teams scoring 4, 5, 10, etc.. points in one half. A 37-36 final score. That abortion of a NC game involving UConn.

I love the game, but man, it's gone downhill.

Now we've got teams scoring 4, 5, 10, etc.. points in one half. A 37-36 final score. That abortion of a NC game involving UConn.

too many underclassman going pro.

too many underclassman going pro.

I would also add referees letting guys play "defense" too physically. When a player gets body checked there has to be a foul called regardless of the situation. Too many of these refs "let them play." Cincy and Pitt are historically some of the worst offenders in the Big East. I can't wait to see Pitt try to adjust to ACC officiating next year.

It's also the fact that skill is often less valued than athleticism. Kids care more about being flashy and learning to dunk that working on midrange jumpers and ball movement.

It's also the fact that skill is often less valued than athleticism. Kids care more about being flashy and learning to dunk that working on midrange jumpers and ball movement.

Also agree with this. I wish we would better utilize Fair's midrange game. Teams aren't used to and aren't good at defending it.

The one year NBA draft rule has hurt college basketball. Fundamentals have gone away. Offensive chemistry is low. The lack of upperclassman on bug time programs, plus the mastering of the art of the "bump and grab" Defense by smaller programs has resulted in just awful basketball to watch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The funny thing is that I think I saw a stat that said offensive efficiency is up, or at least pretty stagnant. The games are just slower.

Just as an example, using Pomeroy's site, the median average team tempo 10 years ago was 69 possessions per game. Today, it's 66. That's nearly 5% of possessions per game that have disappeared over a decade.

I know people talk about the loss of the midrange game, but I don't think that really hurts offense. Mid range jumpers are pretty much the most inefficient shot in hoops. Very few people make enough of them to make it worthwhile.

The funny thing is that I think I saw a stat that said offensive efficiency is up, or at least pretty stagnant. The games are just slower.

Just as an example, using Pomeroy's site, the median average team tempo 10 years ago was 69 possessions per game. Today, it's 66. That's nearly 5% of possessions per game that have disappeared over a decade.

I don't understand why the women's game can have a 30 second shot clock but the men's game can't. It's ridiculous.

I have noticed many teams can go on a 8-10 minute scoring drought. I don't think I've noticed it as much as this year.

I don't understand why the women's game can have a 30 second shot clock but the men's game can't. It's ridiculous.

This is easily the #1 thing I would change if I ran college hoops.

This is easily the #1 thing I would change if I ran college hoops.

Agreed. It's become so frustrating watching all these teams play against Syracuse where they pound the ball for 30 seconds, run an offense for 4 seconds, throw up a crazy shot that either goes in or misses so badly that they easily get an offensive rebound. Rinse, lather, repeat. :bang:

Boeheim was right AGAIN...the 1 year rule should have been made the 2 year rule. College hoops is such a watered down product.

I agree the shot clock needs to be shortened, but the other thing that needs to be looked at is the how to open up the lane for dribble penetrations and drives.

This means addressing the way blocks/charges are called. Over the years the NCAA refs have completely changed the way these plays are called. It used to be exceedingly hard to draw a charge, which is the way it should be. But now it seems that if there is any doubt at all, the benefit of the doubt goes to the defensive player. It should be the opposite.

I blame Duke for starting this trend in the 90's, but teams like Butler and Marquette have also perfected the art of the subtle slide under or lean in to draw the offensive foul.

The refs allow a slow physical, clutch and grab style. And some teams take advantage of it.

Sure the slow pace is not nearly as interesting at times , but the beauty of college basketball vs the NBA is there are so many different types of style teams out there in terms of pace and size. I sort of enjoy having some of those grind it out teams around -- as long as its limited.

I would also add referees letting guys play "defense" too physically. When a player gets body checked there has to be a foul called regardless of the situation. Too many of these refs "let them play." Cincy and Pitt are historically some of the worst offenders in the Big East. I can't wait to see Pitt try to adjust to ACC officiating next year.

This. Diminished fundamentals and lower talent level might be 10% of the problem.

Officials' abdication of their responsibilities has contributed more than anything else. The level of physicality is absurd. College basketball is destroying itself; I've never seen a sport that has such a chasm between what the rulebook spells out and how those rules are applied.

This. Diminished fundamentals and lower talent level might be 10% of the problem.

Officials' abdication of their responsibilities has contributed more than anything else. The level of physicality is absurd. College basketball is destroying itself; I've never seen a sport that has such a chasm between what the rulebook spells out and how those rules are applied.

A perfect example is the three second call. Officials I have talked to at various levels tell me they are instructed to tell players to get out of the lane after three seconds and then give them a few more seconds to get out before calling it. Why is it even a rule?!

I agree the shot clock needs to be shortened, but the other thing that needs to be looked at is the how to open up the lane for dribble penetrations and drives.

This means addressing the way blocks/charges are called. Over the years the NCAA refs have completely changed the way these plays are called. It used to be exceedingly hard to draw a charge, which is the way it should be. But now it seems that if there is any doubt at all, the benefit of the doubt goes to the defensive player. It should be the opposite.

I blame Duke for starting this trend in the 90's, but teams like Butler and Marquette have also perfected the art of the subtle slide under or lean in to draw the offensive foul.

You read my mind. In the last 8 years or so there's been a complete flip in the block/charge call. A close call almost always gave the benefit to the offensive player, now the defender gets the benefit.

The emphasis of defense is destroying college basketball. Just for point of reference, the Duke/Kentucky regional in 1992 is considered on of the great games in college basketball history. The score at the end of regulation: 93-93. Can anyone picture that today?

Make the shot clock 28 seconds, have a clear circle around the basket to protect the offensive player, call fouls on every hand check by the defender.

I totally disagree with at assessment of the college game. I presume those numbers are correct which reflect a huge exception off the norm.Did both teams start their walk-ons?

I debated between shortening the shot clock or calling more blocks as the one thing i wanted to change

a charge is my least favorite call in basketball. i think its bilas who says unless its an OBVIOUS charge it should always be a block. my definition of obvious is out of control, just barreling down the lane then throwing up a crazy shot after running a guy over. anytime its a bang bang call or a 50/50 call it should always be a block. it absolutely kills me to see an offensive player make a great drive and score a basket only to see it taken away because a defensive player was literally standing still. isnt the object of the game to put the ball in the hoop? a charge more often than not penalizes a player for doing that, its ridiculous.

and the 35 second shot clock is a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom