I miss the BET... | Syracusefan.com

I miss the BET...

McNabb2Brominski said:
Best conference tourney by far. We could be looking forward to a friday night semi-final game at the Garden tomorrow...instead we're playing in the stupid ACC tourney. Greensboro looks dead...

This kind of negativity isn't allowed here.

Seriously, though. I used to REALLY enjoy this week. Now I almost can't wait for it to be over. It's hard to watch schools like Creighton and Xavier play in New York.

Watch out. I started a "I miss " thread once and by the time it was over even my kids thought I was a dweeb.

Last edited:
I like the move to the ACC, but I loathe the tournament bring in Greensfreakingboro. The Garden, New York, excitement, ACC tournament, not so much, can't get it up for this. But give me a day to work on it, I may be amped by 7 o'clock tomorrow night.

Let me tell you this. On NY metro area sports radio stations today, it was all BE. The ACC games were never mentioned. That means not just by the hosts, but by the callers. The Garden, BE and March basketball are all still one seamless event around here.

Last edited:
Fireball Jr. said:
I like the move to the ACC, but I loathe the tournament bring in Greensfreakingboro. The Garden, New York, excitement, ACC tournament, not so much, can't get it up for this. But give me a day to work on it, I may be amped by 7 o'clock tomorrow night.

I'll watch just because it's Syracuse. But I can't get excited about the other games. We'll always be an outlier in this conference. Just an odd fit.

I was looking at this week's SI cover with Doug McDermott in his Creighton uniform and two cheerleaders re-creating the 1979 Larry Bird cover.

I wondered what conference Creighton was in, anyway? :noidea:

Oh Lord

This kind of negativity isn't allowed here.

Seriously, though. I used to REALLY enjoy this week. Now I almost can't wait for it to be over. It's hard to watch schools like Creighton and Xavier play in New York.

A saturday night final of Providence and Creighton is going to be a tough sell.

I don't. It was time.
Honestly I wold never watch seton hall vs DePaul in the old big east tournament even at the garden. But yes, the marquee matchups were great there in that atmosphere. I'm not one to look back though. The big east is dead to me.

McDermott is sick hot right now. Damn.
Yes, and now he has a place at the table with all the great Big East players of the past. I wonder if he can even name most of them. I'm being facetious, sort of. It's just hard to hear him being fawned over by the press over breaking some Big East tourney record for most points scored in a half or whatever he did.

Let me tell you this. On NY metro area sports radio stations today, it was all BE. The ACC games were never mentioned. That means not just by the hosts, but by the callers. The Garden, BE and March basketball are all still one seamless event around here.

Hmm-- attendance for last years Tuesday games? 20k. This years Wednesday games? 13k. They've lost 1/3 of their attendance in a year. Its funny because I feel absolutely zero buzz about the BET. People from my office used to leave mid day to catch some of the afternoon games. That just isn't the case anymore. And it will only get worse, especially when the ACCT is at the Barclays Ctr as direct competition.

Well I see that powerhouse Seton Hall is representing the old Big East well.

Come on, everyone knows that conference is built on the rock that is Providence College.

OttoinGrotto said:
Just because it seems people need to keep being reminded of this - the Big East and Big East tournament you miss don't exist anymore.

I think we're referring to the Big East tourney that SU once played in.

FWIW, PC fans miss it too. We are very fortunate for the soft landing and it's allowing the school a second life but for people my age it's not the same and never will be. Don't go all hater on me, this is honestly how most of us feel. It is what it is though and time marches on. It's life. Good luck in Greensboro this year.

Pitt/UNC is the first game of this tournament that I find remotely interesting. The rest has been NIT caliber or worse basketball, like trying to watch the A10 tourney or maybe CUSA. I couldn't even bring myself to find out who would be facing SU tonight until a little while ago, either way it was going to be some CBI/NIT program.

Sure, tonight's game is no gimme, SU could lose, but it won't be because they played a good team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom