I miss the Donnie Webb/Rahme days... | Syracusefan.com

I miss the Donnie Webb/Rahme days...

bothsocksup

Starter
Theres been literally no coverage of spring practice. I long for the days of reading about position battles and a little insider insight.

Theres been literally no coverage of spring practice. I long for the days of reading about position battles and a little insider insight.

Hopefully, that will change soon. I know the media have not had access to the practices since opening day, but this Saturday's practice is open to the media. Following that, the next 2 Sunday practices in a row are open to the public and then the spring game.

Unless there is a total blackout going on with the program I'm not sure why no one in the media is doing coach or player interviews. They don't need to have open practices to keep fans informed, but it does take some effort. At least with the open to the public practices coming up the syracusefan.com experts will be able to do what the media is not...give us some updates.

Hopefully, that will change soon. I know the media have not had access to the practices since opening day, but this Saturday's practice is open to the media. Following that, the next 2 Sunday practices in a row are open to the public and then the spring game.

Unless there is a total blackout going on with the program I'm not sure why no one in the media is doing coach or player interviews. They don't need to have open practices to keep fans informed, but it does take some effort. At least with the open to the public practices coming up the syracusefan.com experts will be able to do what the media is not...give us some updates.
I hate the fact that being able to report on three practices, not including the first one, is considered an improvement in coverage. It just plain sucks, especially since this is such a crucial season for the program and so many important positions open. One report per week does not cut it if you're trying to excite a fanbase that has been teetering on the brink of going away for years.

One report per week does not cut it if you're trying to excite a fanbase that has been teetering on the brink of going away for years.
I don't think the PS is trying to excite a fanbase. I think their business model got blown apart and they're not sure what to do next.

If we're looking for a savior in this kind of coverage I think it's the Daily Orange that should be stepping up.

I don't think the PS is trying to excite a fanbase. I think their business model got blown apart and they're not sure what to do next.

If we're looking for a savior in this kind of coverage I think it's the Daily Orange that should be stepping up.
I know the PS isn't. I was more criticizing SU for keeping everything so secretive and only having three practices open. SU is trying to excite a fanbase, and making it difficult for themselves by not letting anyone see what the hell is going on with the team.

It's ridiculous that it's spring practice time and nothing to get us excited. I miss the blurbs about; so and so looks much bigger than his HS senior stats, so and so looks like he's added 25 lbs of muscle since last year, looks like the coaching staff is using s0 and so in short yardage situations.

We b!tched when it felt like Marrone was over protective of the program but it seems like it's been worse this year, that may just be my impression and it's actually pretty much the same coverage. Whether it's worse coverage, the same coverage, or a tiny bit better -- it sucks.

Here is the reality though. The local newspaper sucks . The University, whether it's the public relations dept, the Daily Orange, or the coaching staff needs to step it up and get the fans some information to get them excited. There are a million different ways this can be done. There are a million SU fans who would be more than happy to attend the practices, write some information up in a professional manner that can be overseen by the coaching staff, and then distribute that information between the different fan sites. This isn't difficult to think of. I could have thought of these ideas in 2 seconds when I was in Middle School - literally.

Really pretty annoying that I have not had 1 ounce of enthusiasm yet for football because I've barely even thought about it. It's the Universities responsibility, in some capacity to provide and create that enthusiasm and it's not difficult to do. We are all pretty easy dates, so to speak. Give us a little bit of info. and we'll be happy as hell and ramping up the excitement heading into the season.

It's ridiculous that it's spring practice time and nothing to get us excited. I miss the blurbs about; so and so looks much bigger than his HS senior stats, so and so looks like he's added 25 lbs of muscle since last year, looks like the coaching staff is using s0 and so in short yardage situations.

We b!tched when it felt like Marrone was over protective of the program but it seems like it's been worse this year, that may just be my impression and it's actually pretty much the same coverage. Whether it's worse coverage, the same coverage, or a tiny bit better -- it sucks.

Here is the reality though. The local newspaper sucks . The University, whether it's the public relations dept, the Daily Orange, or the coaching staff needs to step it up and get the fans some information to get them excited. There are a million different ways this can be done. There are a million SU fans who would be more than happy to attend the practices, write some information up in a professional manner that can be overseen by the coaching staff, and then distribute that information between the different fan sites. This isn't difficult to think of. I could have thought of these ideas in 2 seconds when I was in Middle School - literally.

Really pretty annoying that I have not had 1 ounce of enthusiasm yet for football because I've barely even thought about it. It's the Universities responsibility, in some capacity to provide and create that enthusiasm and it's not difficult to do. We are all pretty easy dates, so to speak. Give us a little bit of info. and we'll be happy as hell and ramping up the excitement heading into the season.
The practices are closed. How do you expect someone to go watch and report when Manley is closed?

George McDonald's tweets are really the only thing to follow.

The practices are closed. How do you expect someone to go watch and report when Manley is closed?

George McDonald's tweets are really the only thing to follow.

Eh...that's really no excuse. Rahme would pump out at least one article per day during spring practice season, regardless of how little access there was. They don't need to see the practices to write about the football team.

You go look at the PS SU Football page now, and the last three stories consist of an unheralded JUCO recruit coming this summer and a former player's tragic party in Washington from literally a week ago.

We haven't had a new story about the team that is practicing right now in the last seven days.

That's pretty pathetic, isn't it?

This was my fear when I heard they were getting rid of DR. The SU football 'coverage' is lacking right now to say the least.

Eh...that's really no excuse. Rahme would pump out at least one article per day during spring practice season, regardless of how little access there was. They don't need to see the practices to write about the football team.

You go look at the PS SU Football page now, and the last three stories consist of an unheralded JUCO recruit coming this summer and a former player's tragic party in Washington from literally a week ago.

We haven't had a new story about the team that is practicing right now in the last seven days.

That's pretty pathetic, isn't it?

This was my fear when I heard they were getting rid of DR. The SU football 'coverage' is lacking right now to say the least.
Rahme got serious perks that no other PS writer ever got. He got full practice accessibility when every other writer had none IIRC.

It's BS no matter if the problem is SU or the PS. Even with practice closed, I don't see why there can't be coach interviews after practice to get some quotes.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Can't blame the PS-They're locked out. Not sure why Shafer can't at least give updates each day of practice.

There isn't an open practice until the 7th according to the team website.

Exactly my point. It doesn't freakin matter if the practices are closed and the PS doesn't have access. It's the schools responsibility to market it's own product.

I have a buddy I work with who knows I follow this stuff, he has had 4 season tix for 15+ years. He asks me for info on recruiting, practices, after game info, etc. He just asked me this week what was going on, it's the first time in the last 5 yrs I've worked with him that I literally had nothing to really tell him or talk about.

Practices are closed but that doesn't mean nothing is happening.

The pay side says this Saturday's (March 30th) practice is open to the media -- just not the public.

I really can't see any benefit from having closed practices? The new staff is trying to win back the fan base. It felt like there was a little buzz after Shafer's first presser, but since then the public really hasn't heard a peep about the program other then striking out on signing day. It just seems like a missed opportunity that they really can't afford to pass up. Anything to try and get the casual fan engaged again. You just can't expect everyone to show up on opening day and then re-introduce yourself because by then most will have forgot. I was really hoping things would have changed, kind of disappointing.

Under P, while the practices themselves were closed (except for the first 15 minutes, which allowed photogs to get what they needed), players and coaches were still made available either two or three times a week, based on rotating availability. That made it much easier for reporters to generate coverage. Never seemed to be an issue with this approach then, surprised to hear they're not even doing interviews anymore. We're not Alabama here -- can't afford to stonewall the press.

Don't need open practice to ask for interviews.

1260 now blows,might as well be elevator music as anything is better than that new as$clown

The local media really went in the sh@tter recently. The Post Standard and 1260 need to get their sh@t together.

It will be interesting to see if HCSS is holding things close tothe vest this spring so not to tip his hand for the opening game against PSU. New players at critical positions and new coaching staff/philosophy that maybe he wants to show as little as possible for that first game or two. Not saying this as an excuse but could be a thought in this spring practice. Would not be surprised to see the spring game be very plain and that the summer practices are closed as well. Just a thought. ;)

Don't need open practice to ask for interviews.

I think the new PS thinks you need an open practice to conduct interviews. Local paper here in Connecticut has stories just about every day on that mid major program up the road, and that's after a closed practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if HCSS is holding things close tothe vest this spring so not to tip his hand for the opening game against PSU. New players at critical positions and new coaching staff/philosophy that maybe he wants to show as little as possible for that first game or two. Not saying this as an excuse but could be a thought in this spring practice. Would not be surprised to see the spring game be very plain and that the summer practices are closed as well. Just a thought. ;)

That wouldn't be much different than it's been for the last 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this has more to do with the changes at the PS (new business model and budget cuts) than Shafer keeping things close to the vest.

Don't know what the DO's excuse is.

I have caught tons of flack from SUBB fans out there about this closed down info on SUFB spring practice and other SUFB info. To me its all about the SUBB team. Its a solid winning program-no doubt!! That's a top priority for the fans and media. You look at the blogs and other sites and solid SUBB stuff-NOW. When I ask for more SUFB stuff I get the shut up line your not a real fan BS from the SUBB fans. Look I'm a solid SU fan first. But SUFB is 1st in my soul!! When their season is over I'll jump on the SUBB bandwagon. I'm not alone here. College football is probably only behind Pro football in all sports for the fans!! Its nothing to do about my feelings for the SUBB team. Hell in August I'll bet you we hear about JB's team, but more than once a week like now for SUFB!! The comments above are like that too. So part of this problem is caused by the SUFB program. By not being an above average winning program. As it looks now only a winning SUFB team will get us Football CUSE fans what we need. MORE INFO ABOUT SUFB!! Please!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom