I realize Pitt passes the eye test but how are they a lock for the NCAA Tournament? | Syracusefan.com

I realize Pitt passes the eye test but how are they a lock for the NCAA Tournament?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Look at their resume 20-7, 8-6.

Best win(s) Stanford-Barclay's Center, Clemson, @ NC State, Maryland x2.

They have lost to every NCAA Tournament team on their schedule except Stanford, and they are tied with Clemson in the ACC standings. If your going to stay they are an NCAA team on the eye test I agree, but their resume is very very thin. They also have 3 of their last 4 games on the road @BC, @Notre Dame, NC State, @ Clemson.

Is a 22-9, 10-8 Pitt team a lock for the Tournament? I feel our 2006-2007 team had a way a better resume, and we were screwed. Even with the First Four I don't know how they are a lock unless they win 3 of their last 4.

i think they need to win 3 of their last 4 to feel like a lock

its because the back end of the field is pretty bad this year after projected 7 seeds.

VCU
New Mexico
Pittsburgh
Stanford
California
SMU
George Washington
---------------
Gonzaga
Xavier
Colorado
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
St Joe's
Oregon
Missouri
St Johns
BYU
Providence
Tennessee
--------------------
--------------------
Baylor
Minnesota
Georgetown (sucks)
Richmond
West Virginia
Southern Miss
Florida State(beat pit yesterday to get under consideration)
Clemson
Dayton
NC State

-= 1st cut is teams I feel really deserve to make it on eye test

double line is the actual cutoff to field right now on my list

To me, it's the eye test.
You are 100% right the resume, on its face, doesn't stack up. But basically every tournament team they've played (Duke excepted) they've been pretty close with. If it was just a blind resume, they would not look good, but someone who is consistently close with teams like SU, Cincy, UNC, UVA, to me, has to be one of the 35 or so b est teams.

I totally zoned out on college hoops yesterday; they lost at home to FSU? Geez.

its because the back end of the field is pretty bad this year after projected 7 seeds.

VCU
New Mexico
Pittsburgh
Stanford
California
SMU
George Washington
---------------
Gonzaga
Xavier
Colorado
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
St Joe's
Oregon
Missouri
St Johns
BYU
Providence
Tennessee
--------------------
--------------------
Baylor
Minnesota
Georgetown (sucks)
Richmond
West Virginia
Southern Miss
Florida State(beat pit yesterday to get under consideration)
Clemson
Dayton
NC State

-= 1st cut is teams I feel really deserve to make it on eye test

double line is the actual cutoff to field right now on my list
I agree with your point and I agree with Knicks they pass the eye test. However, their judged on who they have played and beaten. Jamie Dixon should be punished for his putrid non-conference schedule outside of the Jimmy V game with Cincinnati and Stanford/Texas Tech and they got Penn State in the ACC-B1G challenge. Their non-conference schedule is a joke for all the people who bash SU/JB's scheduling methods.

Based on resumes I would put Baylor and Minnesota in the Tournament over Pitt. Clemson/Florida State/NC State are all interesting as well. Pitt beat Clemson and NC State, but they play both again in their last 4 games.

They passed the eye test with Durand Johnson. When he went down their team became completely different and they are by no means a lock for the NCAA's. Right now they are teetering between the 8-9 seed line on he matrix. Lose a couple of more in a row and that goes to bubble territory.

Ultimately I think they will get in as an 8-9 seed. Their double OT win vs VPI was a season saver.

I wonder if the Durand Johnson topic will come up in the committee room. They got their only quality win with him on the team. Without him, no quality wins.

They will likely get in, but it's close. With an rpi of 44, they are playing with fire.

Pitt has a very similar profile to the 2008 syracuse team that was completely screwed out of the NCAAs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom