i really hoped that carmelo could get something done in NY | Syracusefan.com

i really hoped that carmelo could get something done in NY

orangehomer

All American
but if the clippers or the thunder want to take him on for a playoff run, I think he should take it. the knicks are a mess and porzingis is a nice piece but he isn't close enough to being great that it will happen while Carmelo is in NY. there are also other great young players and it is impossible to know if porzingis is the next best thing. Anthony davis, karl Anthony towns, the greek dude on the bucks...in don't if porzingis is in that class. Carmelo should get out, give it one last run at a title, I think clippers, or Houston or thunder, he could make any of them better.

People knock Melo for "taking the money" and resigning with the Knicks and "choosing money over winning", but I didn't blame him at all there. Chicago was not going to beat Cleveland, and he's now playing with two of the "top" players from that team. Those guys have been washed. The Lakers were the other option.

Where he made a mistake was earlier in his career, getting locked into Denver instead of becoming a free agent in that summer of 2010 like Lebron and Bosh. If Melo was out there, he probably finds his way to Miami.

And yeah, I agree. At this point, if a trade can be made to a contender I hope it happens. I just want to see him in the playoffs again. Maybe the Knicks can get there, who knows. A lot of those East teams are about the same.

Phil Jackson will ultimately leave his Knicks tenure as an abject failure as a GM. He's going to dump Melo to the a team (likely the Clippers) for nothing in return but a few marginal trash heap players and a bottom of 1st round draft pick. Knicks will be even worse -- the kind of team that will have trouble winning 25 games for the remainder of his tenure. He may have been a great coach but is a terrible personnel executive. If the Clippers pull this off without disturbing their core, it may work out well for Melo.

Phil Jackson will ultimately leave his Knicks tenure as an abject failure as a GM. He's going to dump Melo to the a team (likely the Clippers) for nothing in return but a few marginal trash heap players and a bottom of 1st round draft pick. Knicks will be even worse -- the kind of team that will have trouble winning 25 games for the remainder of his tenure. He may have been a great coach but is a terrible personnel executive. If the Clippers pull this off without disturbing their core, it may work out well for Melo.

The worst part about Phil is how he's always taking his little shots through the media. It's a tired act.

The worst part about Phil is how he's always taking his little shots through the media. It's a tired act.
Totally agree. Read the bullshit out there. Makes melo out to be a me first joke. I talked to a pretty high up NBA executive not long ago and he said the expectation for the guy is absurd, basically was leading team in pts, apg, rpg what else did people want? I agreed.

Totally agree. Read the bullshit out there. Makes melo out to be a me first joke. I talked to a pretty high up NBA executive not long ago and he said the expectation for the guy is absurd, basically was leading team in pts, apg, rpg what else did people want? I agreed.

Yup. And some idiot Knicks fans even bought in and booed him when he played "ISO ball"...or basically, if he took an off the dribble jumper...a shot that he's as deadly at as anyone in the league is at any shot, when he's locked in.

Newsflash, Knicks fans: you can't play like Golden State if you don't have the players.

Phil blatantly trying to turn NY on Melo to get the heat off the crappy job he's done is pathetic. 4 years for 72 million for Noah who is held together by duct tape at this point. Unreal.

Melo has been the only guy in the organization to do his job and live up to expectations in the last 5 years.

I was at the game, Melo was pretty awful tonight. I've been on team trade melo for over a year now. But they gave him a no trade clause which is really going to tie their hands.

I was at the game, Melo was pretty awful tonight. I've been on team trade melo for over a year now. But they gave him a no trade clause which is really going to tie their hands.

He was, but he's been good overall and has had some great games recently.

They gave him the monster contract to keep butts in the seats while the team sucked, and to continue to produce and he has. I agree, the no trade clause is holding it up. Wonder if Melo would've stayed there without it though.

Yup. And some idiot Knicks fans even bought in and booed him when he played "ISO ball"...
Melo has been the only guy in the organization to do his job and live up to expectations in the last 5 years.
The tendency is for us to see Melo through Orange tinted glasses.
True, he's generally lacked great help.
But the ball stops when it gets to him.
No ball movement...no penetration...the offense stops.
And he's not great on the other end of the court.
The best thing for him would be to go to a contender and win a ring.
It would also be the best thing for the Knicks' future...if they can get some big picks or young players.
They need to build around Porzingis, Hernangomez, who has gigantic potential).

It would also be the best thing for the Knicks' future...if they can get some big picks or young players.

This whole "the ball stops" is one of the most overused phrases in sports history. The guy led that team in assists last year. "The offense stops"...no, that's what usually happens when Carmelo isn't in the game.

What are we looking for...him to hot potatoe the ball over to Courtney Lee in the corner?

The Knicks aren't going to get any "big" draft picks for Melo. He will only waive his no trade to go to a legit contender and those teams are at the bottom of the draft. Jax isn't even looking to get back an established star. He's going to get a bunch of trash to even out the money and a low pick. What a joke. Knicks perpetually stink because they are one of the worst managed sports franchises.

This whole "the ball stops" is one of the most overused phrases in sports history. The guy led that team in assists last year. "The offense stops"...no, that's what usually happens when Carmelo isn't in the game.

What are we looking for...him to hot potatoe the ball over to Courtney Lee in the corner?

YUP. How many other forwards average 4 assists per game? LeBron?

YUP. How many other forwards average 4 assists per game? LeBron?

Not a ton. Lebron and Giannis, but they play more of a guard role. Draymond gets them in that system. Butler, but he's really a two guard. Blake Griffin, Paul George. Durant always does, but pass out of a double to Westbrook or Curry or Klay when they've got a look 4-5 times a game and there you go. Maybe Millsap?

Melo is a good passer. When he's got someone to pass too, and the situation calls for it, he's effective in that aspect. His "ball stopping" and "ball hogging" is one of the most overplayed NBA media stories of recent years. Amazing how many "fans" buy in too. You wonder how often these people actually watch the games.

none of the teams OP named gets by the warriors, or prob the spurs, even with Melo

the best result would be a 3 or 4 team trade where Melo ends up in Cle and wins a rings with LeBron with NY getting 2 firsts and a young rotational piece with some upside.

Jackson is a dolt of a GM so of course this wont happen.

If Melo isn't destined to win a ring, I just assume he stays in NY unless we can get a quality return for him

Not a ton. Lebron and Giannis, but they play more of a guard role. Draymond gets them in that system. Butler, but he's really a two guard. Blake Griffin, Paul George. Durant always does, but pass out of a double to Westbrook or Curry or Klay when they've got a look 4-5 times a game and there you go. Maybe Millsap?

Melo is a good passer. When he's got someone to pass too, and the situation calls for it, he's effective in that aspect. His "ball stopping" and "ball hogging" is one of the most overplayed NBA media stories of recent years. Amazing how many "fans" buy in too. You wonder how often these people actually watch the games.

Agree. LeBron and Giannis are almost point guards. Butler is essentially a shooting guard. I could get 7 assists per game passing to Klay Thompson and Steph Curry in Golden State. Melo is their #1 scorer. He had nobody to pass to last year except Porzingis. 4.2 assists per game over 82 games...not a ball stopper at all.

Sadly I think this is all done by Phil on purpose... From what I've seen Melo has really played max effort this year and put the team first despite being far from perfect... he has been all class and said everything right to the media while Phil looks like a complete jackass... but Phil isn't stupid and I think once he decided he couldn't win with this combination he decided to do dishonorable things to get Melo out of NY. He knows Melo may have a no trade clause but he won't want to be in the hostile environment Phil is creating (and yes maybe fans were angry before but Phil has made it a daily news topic).

It is what it is...same as Melo. Great scorer when "on", very real detriment when he is not. He gets 4 assists, but he should get more because the ball is in his hands more than the PG's. He is a very poor defender and he is surely a ball stopper. He has been primarily an ISO guy his entire career but the game has changed. He certainly is not the "end of the clock" guy he was a few years ago but still thinks he is. On top of all that, he is on either a rebuilding team or a veteran team that is not talented enough to win, depending on your point of view. Jackson has made the decision to rebuild, not re-tool and I applaud him for it, but he waited a year too long. He could have gotten a lotto pick for Melo last year but I doubt it happens this year unless he gets a third team involved. I would love to have Melo go to the Cavs and win a title. The Cavs need him and he, them. If James wants him, Love will be gone. Melo to the Cavs, Love to the Celts, role players and lotto(Nets) pick to the Knicks, at least that is my hope.

Melo seems to be a very good man. I have always been a huge fan and hope it ends well for him with a ring.

It is what it is...same as Melo. Great scorer when "on", very real detriment when he is not. He gets 4 assists, but he should get more because the ball is in his hands more than the PG's. He is a very poor defender and he is surely a ball stopper. He has been primarily an ISO guy his entire career but the game has changed. He certainly is not the "end of the clock" guy he was a few years ago but still thinks he is. On top of all that, he is on either a rebuilding team or a veteran team that is not talented enough to win, depending on your point of view. Jackson has made the decision to rebuild, not re-tool and I applaud him for it, but he waited a year too long. He could have gotten a lotto pick for Melo last year but I doubt it happens this year unless he gets a third team involved. I would love to have Melo go to the Cavs and win a title. The Cavs need him and he, them. If James wants him, Love will be gone. Melo to the Cavs, Love to the Celts, role players and lotto(Nets) pick to the Knicks, at least that is my hope.

Melo seems to be a very good man. I have always been a huge fan and hope it ends well for him with a ring.
Sorry Jackson shouldn't be applauded on anything, horrible GM. The dude can't build a team and has basically screwed the knicks with crappy contracts. The knicks have been rebuilding since Ewing left and still can't figure it out. Problem is ownership has no idea how run the organization, they make stupid decisions and then blame it in the players. Melo isn't perfect by any means but the knicks have surrounded him with garbage. I hope he gets traded to a good organization where his skill set will be a good fit. Melo also needs to realize he isn't the man he used to be and become more of a complimentary player then the main highlight. Just my two cents

Sorry Jackson shouldn't be applauded on anything, horrible GM. The dude can't build a team and has basically screwed the knicks with crappy contracts. The knicks have been rebuilding since Ewing left and still can't figure it out. Problem is ownership has no idea how run the organization, they make stupid decisions and then blame it in the players. Melo isn't perfect by any means but the knicks have surrounded him with garbage. I hope he gets traded to a good organization where his skill set will be a good fit. Melo also needs to realize he isn't the man he used to be and become more of a complimentary player then the main highlight. Just my two cents
Apparently, you don't really know what is going on. Hernangomez is equal to a late lotto pick, Kuzminskas is a very nice role player, as will Baker be. The only bad contract is Noah and he is still a great mentor for the young "bigs". Melo will get traded and Rose Expires. Where are the bad contracts? He picked Porzingasand hired Gaines. He has made few missteps the past year and lots of good moves. I'm not a fan of his communication style, but if we end up with a couple of lotto picks in this draft along with a young player(from the trade) this summer, he's done great.

Melo needs to go for his own sanity. The Knicks are a joke. My biggest fear is that KP will start to get **** on when New Yorkers realize he's not that good yet.

Yup. And some idiot Knicks fans even bought in and booed him when he played "ISO ball"...or basically, if he took an off the dribble jumper...a shot that he's as deadly at as anyone in the league is at any shot, when he's locked in.

Newsflash, Knicks fans: you can't play like Golden State if you don't have the players.

Phil blatantly trying to turn NY on Melo to get the heat off the crappy job he's done is pathetic. 4 years for 72 million for Noah who is held together by duct tape at this point. Unreal.

It's a complete joke. Watch what happen to Porzingas when Melo isn't there to draw attention.

Other GMs/Presidents laugh at Jacksons "work"

He gets 4 assists, but he should get more because the ball is in his hands more than the PG's. He is a very poor defender and he is surely a ball stopper.

How can he be a ball stopper when he led the team in assists? Why should he get more than 4 assists? Who else scores? Isn't he supposed to score as well?

Yes, he had an off shooting night but still hit the biggest shot of the game with 13 seconds left, up 2, and shot clock running down--preventing yet another last second crushing buzzer beating loss this month. So even his "off-nites" are productive--18 pts, 11 rebs, and the game-clincher, and he had just come off a spectacular stretch of 4 straight games where he had averaged 30ppg, so can't expect that every single night.

Knicks would be stupid to trade Melo, as it would set them back years again. ESPECIALLY, after reading the crap mentioned that they might get back in return. The Clippers proposal wanted to make me vomit---only the 2 backup guards Rivers and Crawford? What the hell is the point of doing that? I could understand trading him if you were going to get a lot in return (for example, a starter and a first-rounder that has a chance to be a lotto pick). But not for pennies on the dollar.

The Knicks have obviously had a bad month with all these last second losses. But as recently as 4 weeks ago (Christmas Day), they were tied with Boston with about a minute to go and a win would have moved them (alone) into the 3-seed. Everything fell apart after that loss. My point is that they were not that far away. As another poster mentioned, they have a bunch of other good young players (besides the obvious KP) in Hernangomez, Kuzmingas, and Baker, and Kyle O'Quinn's contract is a steal ($4M/year for 4 yrs--and he is only 26 himself) for the production he gives you (and will be even more of a steal as the cap goes up next year). Courtney Lee is finally being utilized properly in the offense the past few games, and will be an important piece for the next 3 and half years. So I think they should keep Melo, and take the $25M next summer that will be available under the cap and sign a top point guard (like a Chris Paul) and take a run at it.

I understand all of you non-Knicks fans wanting him to get traded, so that he can win a title. That is totally fair. I would love him to win one before his career is over. He'll be 35 when his Knick contract expires, so will still have a few years left if it doesn't happen in NY (Vince Carter is still playing at age 40).

Last edited: