I still can't root for Duke and Carolina | Syracusefan.com

I still can't root for Duke and Carolina

NCMtn

Walk On
When Syracuse was in the Big East and got knocked out of the tournament I would root for the other Big East teams, even Georgetown. I find that I don't have the same conference loyalty with the ACC. I root against Duke and Carolina no matter who they are playing. Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree but I also disagree on rooting for Big East teams, at least not G’town or Uconn.

I root for Syracuse and whatever other teams annoy me the least.

The ACC is a juggernaut, I’m not worried about the money - that will take care of itself.

And frankly, I’d probably care about conference pride a little bit if we were the ones winning the conference sometimes. It’s hard to take pride in what the 6 teams that are better than us every year are doing.

I don't care either way.

On one hand, these two teams should not be competing in this tournament as they are right now. UNC with the entire academic scandal, fake classes, etc, should have gotten nailed by the NCAA last year, and should not be in this tournament, let alone have 13 scholarships available. And Duke should not have players eligible who were on RECORDED DISCUSSIONS involving payments (to another school), their eligibility should be questioned. Let alone the Marvin Bagley family payments/sketchy AAU background.

On the other hand, more wins for UNC/Duke = more money for the ACC and therefore Syracuse. They're blue bloods and are going to get theirs, I'd rather an ACC team win a title or reach a Final Four than a team like MSU, Villanova, or Kentucky. If Duke/UNC are going to win titles, we can at least offer recruits the chance to play them on national TV 4 times per season, and set attendance records.

Last edited:
There’s no way these people who root for UNC and Duke because of money ever would root for Georgetown and UConn in the past.

I agree but I also disagree on rooting for Big East teams, at least not G’town or Uconn.

I don't root for them now at all, but during the Big East days I would want a Big East team to win it. I never want Duke or Carolina to win another game.

And frankly, I’d probably care about conference pride a little bit if we were the ones winning the conference sometimes. It’s hard to take pride in what the 6 teams that are better than us every year are doing.

Good Point. That could be half the problem.

I root for Syracuse and whatever other teams annoy me the least.

The ACC is a juggernaut, I’m not worried about the money - that will take care of itself.

I find myself rooting for conference pride more often than not, especially with the ACC Network launching this year, but it is a bit like Tennessee fans chanting SEC SEC SEC when Alabama wins a CFB Title.

I don't root for them now at all, but during the Big East days I would want a Big East team to win it. I never want Duke or Carolina to win another game.

I’d root for Providence or something. We beat them 90% of the team, no reason to not root for them.

But not Georgetown or UConn.

The Big East felt like home. It was family, it was great, all the typical family dysfunction made it that much better. Might've hated some of the other teams, but they were part of the same gang and when a Charles Barkley would call us the Big Least, even though WE were a power house conference, you felt like someone was attacking your mama . . . it was fightin' words.
The ACC? Just not the same. Feel like an outsider, a Yankee at a Rebels Ball, and I don't know that I will ever feel anything approximating the same feelings as the Big East days. Maybe it is because I am a dinosaur- from the Class of 77. Watching Big East Conference games was compelling . . . I find playing most of our ACC opponents fairly boring . . . I suppose the fact that we have fallen to upper-level mediocrity has something to do with it . . . but the thrill is kinda gone. Sigh.

I do...only because I get sick of hearing B1G this, and B1G that here in Iowa.

Never, ever rooted for anyone else in the Big East, and will never, ever root for any other team in the ACC except for the Orange!!! Not a big fan of the ACC. Until we start beating the big boys in both football and basketball on a regular basis, I fear we'll never get a fair shake. It's pretty sad to watch sometimes. Shouldn't be that way, but it's all about $$$$.

I absolutely do not root for UNC or Duke at any time. The Conf loyalty thing is always bizarre to me. The gains of our rivals winning tournament games hurts us a lot more than whatever positives some extra dough might bring. I mostly just root for players/coaches that I don't hate at this time. I hate playing VA but I don't hate Bennett at all and kind of feel bad about that disaster they went through last year. I'm good with them, I'm always good with Few and Beilein. Kind of rooting for the LSU kids at this point because it would be interesting. UNC, Duke and Kentucky I hope lose every single game they play in. Also have a dislike of Michigan St ever since Mateen Cleaves and those guys.

I can't root for any ACC team. I'm still annoyed that the Basketball team had to join my most hated conference. Still, I want Syracuse to dominate this conference like they did much of their time in the Big East. 8 of our losses this year are to teams remaining in the Sweet 16.

I still root against UConn and Georgetown any game they play. I'm ambivalent about Duke and UNC in the tourney but hey every game they win is money in the SUAD coffers. I root for the other ACC teams like Virginia and FSU.

I like college basketball and I root for teams where I have a history or who people I love root for. I came from the ACC but wasn’t particularly passionate about it. Then I moved to Syracuse and became quite passionate about SU - and still am. I loved the Big East and I miss those days. But I do root for other teams to succeed, and am happy for my friends and family when they do.

Change is hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom