I think last night showed our future | Syracusefan.com

I think last night showed our future

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Oakland basically face guarded Buddy after his 11 point outburst, and his athletic limitations hurt him breaking loose. He was Cooney-esque in working to get open but like Trevor seemed to have trouble shaking free. We need to get him looks because he doesn't really add much else at this stage of his development. ACC teams will do the same, we need to help him.

I know he is loved on this board but I don't see the Howard Washington infatuation. Seems like a nice kid and good teammate, but the 5 minutes he's getting should - in my opinion - for the most part go to Goodine. I think HOWASH is a player that as minutes increase flaws get highlighted.

Edwards and Quincy need minutes - we are going to get killed on the glass and by even mediocre post players, we need their energy. Dumb plays and all.

Hughes and Marek are our 2 best players. The prior is the best player we have had in a while and the latter needs to be in double figures for us to be good. Marek makes so many plays that don't show up - the tip to Hughes for the 3 on the bad entry pass is a perfect example.

JG3 is a solid Frosh. He is going to make dumb plays and get exposed athletically, but he scraps, isn't scared, and is our best facilitator (along with MD). What I like most about him is that he aggressively pushes the pace and if we ever get ahead late - he is icing a game from the line.

We will be close to 500 all year with a weak league helping us. The crowd or lack thereof is the least of this teams concerns and IMHO a cheap shot by JB. As I say about Dino - coach your team and stop lecturing the crowd.

Cooney-esque? Don't see that at all. Cooney careened around the court at light speed coming off of screens. Buddy's more of an ambler.

I disagree with your assessment of Howard, but I'll give you that we was not good last night. Bad passing that led to turnovers and he never even pretended to look at the basket.

Cooney-esque? Don't see that at all. Cooney careened around the court at light speed coming off of screens. Buddy's more of an ambler.

I disagree with your assessment of Howard, but I'll give you that we was not good last night. Bad passing that led to turnovers and he never even pretended to look at the basket.
What do you see in HoWash? I agree with the poster above, seems like a nice kid but he has very limited athletiscm, cant really beat his man off the dribble, isnt a knock down shooter and doesn't bring much else to the table other than not turning the ball over (which is why he is playing instead of goodine). I just dont see it at all.

What do you see in HoWash? I agree with the poster above, seems like a nice kid but he has very limited athletiscm, cant really beat his man off the dribble, isnt a knock down shooter and doesn't bring much else to the table other than not turning the ball over (which is why he is playing instead of goodine). I just dont see it at all.
100% better defense than the other two options currently playing. He actually rebounds. He can take his guy off the dribble better than Buddy can, I just don't know why he's not. I'm not calling for him to start, just to supplement the other two in a true rotation (doesn't even have to be balanced) so Buddy doesn't play more than 30 minutes.

100% better defense than the other two options currently playing. He actually rebounds. He can take his guy off the dribble better than Buddy can, I just don't know why he's not. I'm not calling for him to start, just to supplement the other two in a true rotation (doesn't even have to be balanced) so Buddy doesn't play more than 30 minutes.
i just dont see that. I'll agree with you on the defense but the Buddy/JG being much better shooters are are bigger threats on O. I would be fine giving him around 8-10 mins a game, more if he is playing well but i dont think he deserves much more than that.

i just dont see that. I'll agree with you on the defense but the Buddy/JG being much better shooters are are bigger threats on O. I would be fine giving him around 8-10 mins a game, more if he is playing well but i dont think he deserves much more than that.
That would be a step in the right direction. Buddy does NOT deserve 40 minutes a game.

Oakland basically face guarded Buddy after his 11 point outburst, and his athletic limitations hurt him breaking loose. He was Cooney-esque in working to get open but like Trevor seemed to have trouble shaking free. We need to get him looks because he doesn't really add much else at this stage of his development. ACC teams will do the same, we need to help him.

I know he is loved on this board but I don't see the Howard Washington infatuation. Seems like a nice kid and good teammate, but the 5 minutes he's getting should - in my opinion - for the most part go to Goodine. I think HOWASH is a player that as minutes increase flaws get highlighted.

Edwards and Quincy need minutes - we are going to get killed on the glass and by even mediocre post players, we need their energy. Dumb plays and all.

Hughes and Marek are our 2 best players. The prior is the best player we have had in a while and the latter needs to be in double figures for us to be good. Marek makes so many plays that don't show up - the tip to Hughes for the 3 on the bad entry pass is a perfect example.

JG3 is a solid Frosh. He is going to make dumb plays and get exposed athletically, but he scraps, isn't scared, and is our best facilitator (along with MD). What I like most about him is that he aggressively pushes the pace and if we ever get ahead late - he is icing a game from the line.

We will be close to 500 all year with a weak league helping us. The crowd or lack thereof is the least of this teams concerns and IMHO a cheap shot by JB. As I say about Dino - coach your team and stop lecturing the crowd.
This is pretty much how I feel at this point. I'm still trying to figure out if Washington can shoot a jump shot. he has shown glimpses of good court vision but it appears he is either now allowed or can not shoot when has an open shot. He seems to be closer to Buddy in the athleticism department than Hughes.

I want to see more of Edwards and Quincy in the game also. No sense in playing anyone other than Hughes 37+ min per a game.

Goodine needs to play ahead of Washington. He’s someone we’re going to need in the future. Washington is not. Play Goodine 10 min, Buddy 5-10 less minutes and Washington if it’s out of hand one way or another. The current rotation is absurd.

If they’re face guarding Buddy they won’t leave him. That should open up lanes for JG and Eli driving
Exactly. Hopefully JG3 realizes he can earn a living at the FT line. Include Guerrier in that as well. He had a great move along the baseline.

If they’re face guarding Buddy they won’t leave him. That should open up lanes for JG and Eli driving
I agree but I think teams in our league are confident they can guard JG3 without much help and that Eli will wear down.

Goodine needs to play ahead of Washington. He’s someone we’re going to need in the future. Washington is not. Play Goodine 10 min, Buddy 5-10 less minutes and Washington if it’s out of hand one way or another. The current rotation is absurd.
We will need Goodine in the future but if he were ready, JB would have him out there. Remember that Brycen was the first replacement for Carey and he couldn't cut it. Apparently he is not showing enough in practice for JB to trust him in games.

Washington is the choice to give BB or JG some rest because he plays decent defense and doesn't turn over the ball. You might think he was a PG!

Goodine is athletic and a good defender for a frosh. JB’s an a** for giving up on him so early. He didn’t give up on Buddy last season when he was stinking up the joint all of November and December. Howard Washington is slow and not much of an athlete. Unimpressed. He makes nice passes but mostly against mediocre or bad teams.

Goodine is athletic and a good defender for a frosh. JB’s an a** for giving up on him so early. He didn’t give up on Buddy last season when he was stinking up the joint all of November and December. Howard Washington is slow and not much of an athlete. Unimpressed. He makes nice passes but mostly against mediocre or bad teams.
Why do you say HoWash is slow? He's faster than both Buddy and Joe. I'd be interested in why people say this about him. He's not explosive, I'll give you that. But he seems to push the pace where appropriate. Maybe that's it, he's not blasting down court going 1 on 4 like Carey and even Brycen have tried.

This team lacks a consistent, competent big man and it will be the difference of 4-5 wins imo. Marek’s not a center, that’s not his fault.

consistent blow out losses reflect lack of preparation and adjustments imo as well. Our players win the games, not our coaches. This has been the case for years.

Elijah and Marek have been wonderful, and I’m probably Marek’s top critic.

Buddy got multiple DNPs last year early in the season (Nov/Dec) and also had 9 other games in Nov/Dec/Jan where he got token minutes (averaged less than 5 mins per game in those 9 contests).

Brycen needs to work his tail off in practice, and take advantage of any future game opportunities. If he does that, he’ll play. And I hope he does.

The team needs Boeheim and Girard's shooting more than it needs whatever potential slashing ability Goodine might bring to the table. And Girard and Washington are both better point guards.

I'll second-guess Boeheim's use of the bench all day long, but I don't see a place for Goodine in the rotation right now.

I thought you were going to say you were visited by a ghost and you saw the tombstone of SU basketball. Actually, this ghost needs to visit JB in his sleep. Without waking Julie.

I feel like a glimpse into our future is a slightly slower, zone playing Notre Dame type team from how they've been the past 10-15 years. At the moment we're not quite there. It's a lofty goal, but one we may be able to execute once we get rid of Hughes!

If we could get that big 34 year old bearded man from Oakland to transfer in we'd be a lot further along in that plan...

"I think last night showed our future..."

you talkin' about the empty dome ?

Where the hell is Braswell? He deserves some minutes. His stats in limited minutes have been better than Quincy or Goodine. Give him some minutes.

can't judge any player on the limited minutes braz has seen. put him in for 5 minutes 1st half. see where he's at.

Washington gets no love because he wasn't rated as highly as Goodine who hasn't played to his rating...

anyone who watches nascar understands the fastest car doesn't win if it stays on the track all race.
elijah has recaptured #1 minutes played ACC and buddy is 8th. rotate those tires or fall behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom