I think teams know how to beat us... | Syracusefan.com

I think teams know how to beat us...

LAOrange

Starter
They saw Louisville. In that game we were on a roll. They got three on Southerland and then started hacking like crazy to get us out of our rhythm. Once we're off our offensive roll, we struggled getting the ball in the hoop and without Southerland to space the floor we got worse. MCW and Triche got frustrated.
The difference in the two games, Cal got called for the hacks (Louisville didn't) and their guards couldn't play with us.
I think it was a Montgomery strategy. Disrupt the 'Cuse.

They saw Louisville. In that game we were on a role. They got three on Southerland and then started hacking like crazy to get us out of our rhythm. Once we're off our offensive role, we struggled getting the ball in the hoop and without Southerland to space the floor we got worse. MCW and Triche got frustrated.
The difference in the two games, Cal got called for the hacks (Louisville didn't) and their guards couldn't play with us.
I think it was a Montgomery strategy. Disrupt the 'Cuse.

I don't think that too many teams can bring the type of defensive pressure that Louisville can. In fact, I actually like the prospect of 98% of the teams out there trying to press us, speed up the tempo, etc.

But I agree 100% about Southerland foul trouble disrupting our offensive continuity. He simply needs to be smarter about reach fouls or ones he gets trying to double-team inside. Sometimes, you just have to let a guy get the layup so as not to get the foul.

The problem is that his fouls are soft fouls too. Too many and ones.

Agreed. Make them earn the points at the line or just let it go and play straight up and down defense.

I don't think that too many teams can bring the type of defensive pressure that Louisville can. In fact, I actually like the prospect of 98% of the teams out there trying to press us, speed up the tempo, etc.

But I agree 100% about Southerland foul trouble disrupting our offensive continuity. He simply needs to be smarter about reach fouls or ones he gets trying to double-team inside. Sometimes, you just have to let a guy get the layup so as not to get the foul.

The problem is Jerami is nearly unplayable at the moment. He bobbles the ball any time he touches it, and hides from the ball on offense. That 14 pt game vs ND seems like a decade ago. Huge dropoff when JS is out.

Agreed.

We need to rotate those bigs more. Southerland needs to not drop down, and get so involved in the under-the-basket putback game. Reaching in there is where he's getting the majority of the fouls. He needs to let Christmas, Baye, and (hopefully, a bit of Coleman) do their jobs, and accumulate the fouls underneath.

We need 36 minutes of Southerland, as much as we need 30+ minutes of anyone but Fair on the court.

Another thread on this. I think from here forward JB knows to pull JSuth before half time if he has the 2 fouls. This is new with the 3 fouls in the 1st half, but now a pattern to watch for. Yes, especially if the other teams are going after him. But the good news is he managed to go almost a full 10 minutes in the 2nd half before picking up the 4th foul. Also on the 5th foul, which really was a touch foul if there was any contact at all, JB talked to him about how to avoid that call. They talked pretty much the rest of the game, and were even laughing about it so I am sure JB told him something snarky about the official or something. So hopefully he learned something there.

Agreed.

We need to rotate those bigs more. Southerland needs to not drop down, and get so involved in the under-the-basket putback game. Reaching in there is where he's getting the majority of the fouls. He needs to let Christmas, Baye, and (hopefully, a bit of Coleman) do their jobs, and accumulate the fouls underneath.

We need 36 minutes of Southerland, as much as we need 30+ minutes of anyone but Fair on the court.

Actually, when Southerland rotates more quickly and actually boxes out, good things happen for us. It's when he himself gets out of position or boxed out is when he ends up fouling. Especially when Baye is playing since he's all over the place (not meant to be a slam on Baye - just sayin').

Actually, when Southerland rotates more quickly and actually boxes out, good things happen for us. It's when he himself gets out of position or boxed out is when he ends up fouling. Especially when Baye is playing since he's all over the place (not meant to be a slam on Baye - just sayin').

Agreed. The point I'm trying to make is he should let Baye pay the price for his mistakes, and not Southy himself. If he wants to cover for Baye, save it for the last 10 minutes, if he's only got one foul or so.

We can rotate 3 with Baye, Coleman, and Xmas. Southerland does not have a serviceable replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom