I think this offense should be huddling before every play | Syracusefan.com

I think this offense should be huddling before every play

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Focused, running clock, resting the defense and eliminate the confusion. They clearly were not ready to play fast players and coaches so huddle up get set and play the game. Is it that bad to huddle anymore? Not sexy. I get it

I agree, we should be in the 2010 Orangemen mold right now. No need to speed up a train wreck of an offense right now. Hopefully down the road this season the offense will get some continuity and then we can try to speed it up.

It was strange because when teams go no-huddle usually the intent is to move fast and keep the D off balance. We were so discombobulated that our no-huddle was mosly Allen peering to the sideline for 15 seconds, and then reading his wrist band for 5 seconds, and then frantically putting guys in position for 10 seconds. It was not fast and didn't cause PSU any personnel issues.

So I agree, if it's not working to its intention, then huddle up.

i want to know why marrone could impliment this speed in 1 week while mcdonald has had months and months and it was down right robinsonesque

the reason for not huddling is to limit the choice of the D to substitute. as to why the offense had so much trouble figuring out what plays were coming ?? hard to tell if the plays were slow coming in or allen was slow to tell what they were or the players were confused one they tried to go to the correct spots.

the reason for not huddling is to limit the choice of the D to substitute. as to why the offense had so much trouble figuring out what plays were coming ?? hard to tell if the plays were slow coming in or allen was slow to tell what they were or the players were confused one they tried to go to the correct spots.
I think it was all of the above. Right not I have concerns as to McDonalds ability to be a coordinator.

I think never getting in a running mode really hurt this team.. and if you go back and look last year we had many of the same issues but we threw well enough to get out of those spots and get the running game going

i want to know why marrone could impliment this speed in 1 week while mcdonald has had months and months and it was down right robinsonesque

Let's see:

* An OC in his fourth year in the 315.
* A program that had installed the base of the offense at least a year prior.
* A QB in the program his fifth year after starting for two.

versus

* A rookie OC.
* A rookie QB that arrived on campus early June.

The game is not played on paper.

Let's see:

* An OC in his fourth year in the 315.
* A program that had installed the base of the offense at least a year prior.
* A QB in the program his fifth year after starting for two.

versus

* A rookie OC.
* A rookie QB that arrived on campus early June.

The game is not played on paper.
its not about paper =that side of the ball looked just as confused in the second half as the first-the play calling was as generic as it comes and the kids still had a hard time getting setup - can you say staff issues

The biggest jump should be from the first game to the second. Did you ever take a test and thought for sure you'd ace it only to find out you didn't study hard enough? That's kind of what I'm thinking these guys did...now they know what to expect and what is expected of them. As a coach you try to simulate a lot of things but until you have a real game you can't really get it through the players heads what is really needed until you gain some real world experience.

McDonald HAS to make sure he knows what he is going to call before the play like playing chess...have each move in your head and once the play is done you already know what to do. I don't know what the communication problem was but it has to be fixed with everyone on the same page. Big week of practice ahead.

Other than West for Sales, we didn't replace our departures with better players. We lost smart kids, who had played together for quite a while, and were able to trust one another and anticipate what would happen based upon the defense. Right now Allen and the rest of the offense need to spend time working out this issue.

I'm not surprised that the team struggled in the first game and will wait until next week before deciding that our QB and OC need to be replaced.

Simple it was our OC he was not prepared and it showed.

Focused, running clock, resting the defense and eliminate the confusion. They clearly were not ready to play fast players and coaches so huddle up get set and play the game. Is it that bad to huddle anymore? Not s e x y. I get it

Yeah, they need to slow down and make sure everyone is on the same page.

My other worry is that we ran a lot of formations, but each formation would lead to a similar play. I.e ran pistol about 10-15 times, and practically every single time it was an A gap run. Nothing outside, no passes. Maybe one reverse I think.

Whenever PTG split out right, we threw a quick screen to the H back on the left side..

DCs are going to eat that stuff up, 'original tecmo bowl called the same play' style.

One worry about McDonald was that he was more recruiter than coordinator. Way way way too early to hit panic buttons, but he didn't do much to take that concern off the radar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

It's evident to me that we are going to have to live with GMC learning on the job, as long as we see improvement as the season goes, I will be fine with it. My point is, just get in the ing huddle, get the play called and get it done. Clearly, we aren't ready for that.

Because he had a senior QB who knew the offense backwards and forwards, and who HE knew backwards and forwards. RN could make quick decisions. We don't have that level of experience right now.

Focused, running clock, resting the defense and eliminate the confusion. They clearly were not ready to play fast players and coaches so huddle up get set and play the game. Is it that bad to huddle anymore? Not s e x y. I get it
I'm with you. I'm hoping for 2010 type season

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's evident to me that we are going to have to live with GMC learning on the job, as long as we see improvement as the season goes, I will be fine with it. My point is, just get in the huddle, get the play called and get it done. Clearly, we aren't ready for that.

I have been saying the same thing in a couple of threads now...After the terrible first half I was pretty shocked that we didn't see a huddle in the second half. My biggest concern was that there were no adjustments made at halftime.

It's evident to me that we are going to have to live with GMC learning on the job, as long as we see improvement as the season goes, I will be fine with it. My point is, just get in the huddle, get the play called and get it done. Clearly, we aren't ready for that.
Script it.

The ole Bill Walsh...this is the 1st 25 plays we are going to run, in this order, with these 5 as the slight adjustment for down and distance.

If they don't know by Saturday that B comes after A, and C after B...then have a seat.

It looked like we went to the pass more in the second half. Clearly the run game was limited.

its not about paper =that side of the ball looked just as confused in the second half as the first-the play calling was as generic as it comes and the kids still had a hard time getting setup - can you say staff issues
When you come out of a timeout and snap the ball with 1 second left because you we're still confused or you come out of a timeout with only 10 men and then have to run a guy on and barely get the snap off and countless other miscommunication errors, it tells me 1 of 2 things. 1- the O coordinator was totally unprepared or 2- the quarterback was totally unprepared because that offense was inept besides the one long pass to Kobena. That was a clone of the Washington game in the dome a few years ago and that's what frustrates me the most. If not for our defense standing on its head and causing 4 turnovers, we get blown out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom