I thought Chewy was good Saturday | Syracusefan.com

I thought Chewy was good Saturday

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Got beat on the glass on the end (which I attribute to the Duke kid having fresh legs since he hadn't played much), but he kept a ton of balls alive. Finished - for the most part - at the rim, and covers a ton of ground on D. Both he and Marek need to eliminate the one dumb foul they commit each game but if we get play like that from PC, we are much better.

Eh it’s a really low bar. He didn’t play all that bad but he’s not really influencing anything at all.

He wasn’t even close to an issue. Just came down to our offense not producing. Guess you could put some blame on him there, but he was solid on D and rebounding. Tapped out a few balls for extra possessions. Tough to do anything with Barrett flashing in the middle of the zone.

I think what was said above is right: the bar is low. He didn't hurt the team on Saturday relative to what we all expect from him. He tapped some boards, affected a few shots. But the baseline is: we are at a 4-on-5 scenario in every offensive set and he's not a game changing defensive presence to offset that total black hole in the lineup.

He had his moments of clumsiness and confusion.

But I have to admit it hurts to lose a game where Chukwu had 3 or 4 clean and decisive dunks. That's playing with house money, but some of his teammates didn't step up and take advantage.

Yup. He did his job. He and Marek were the only ones who had good games.

If any one of our top 3 scorers hits a few shots, we have a great chance to pull that out. All 3 guys shot poorly, and missed a lot of makable shots.

Was extremely disappointed with the one move where Chewy was on D, but the Dukie (may have been Barrett) faked right, then spun back and laid it in with his left hand. He can't fall for that.

Also, the foul on Jones was a terrible play, and then he followed that up with allowing Jones to get the shot off in his mug. Not good.

barrett killed us inside. has the moves to make space in the paint and lay it in. not pretty but deadly.

Was extremely disappointed with the one move where Chewy was on D, but the Dukie (may have been Barrett) faked right, then spun back and laid it in with his left hand. He can't fall for that.

Also, the foul on Jones was a terrible play, and then he followed that up with allowing Jones to get the shot off in his mug. Not good.
I was more disappointed in our perimeter D since they literally only had 2 people who could make shots yet they had clean looks most of the day. The pass fake Barett used on OB was a killer.

I was more disappointed in our perimeter D since they literally only had 2 people who could make shots yet they had clean looks most of the day. The pass fake Barett used on OB was a killer.

Crafty play for sure by the top 2 pick in the draft, but OB was left hung out to dry by the particular guard who didn't do anything...except place OB in such a precarious position there.

Crafty play for sure by the top 2 pick in the draft, but OB was left hung out to dry by the particular guard who didn't do anything...except place OB in such a precarious position there.
Don't disagree at all - I think Chewy gets hung out to dry sometimes too and has to make split second decisions on choosing the lesser of two evils.

Frank is not very active out there on defense these days.

He’s living off his rep as a good defender. I’m not seeing it.

I wish he would come back for a sixth year. We really need him.
Dont ever sleep on Chewy.
If the offense had 4 scorers surrounding him he'd be a lot more effective. When the team struggles everyone's individual liabilities stand out more.

i thought he was horrible on D - he did a few things that he normally doesn't hustle to tip balls to teammates, made a baby hook - but it was night and day with him in the game as far as duke scoring in the paint...might as well just put a 7ft cardoard cutout in the middle...when dolezaj was in the middle and they went on that first half run he sparked that was the best sequence of the game for SU - but then chukwu came back in and duke scored a bunch of layups/dunks immediately....

can't wait for the day he is not on the team...he is a weight around the team's neck, imo.

i thought he was horrible on D - he did a few things that he normally doesn't hustle to tip balls to teammates, made a baby hook - but it was night and day with him in the game as far as duke scoring in the paint...might as well just put a 7ft cardoard cutout in the middle...when dolezaj was in the middle and they went on that first half run he sparked that was the best sequence of the game for SU - but then chukwu came back in and duke scored a bunch of layups/dunks immediately...

can't wait for the day he is not on the team...he is a weight around the team's neck, imo.
You can't wait until we have to rely on guys that haven't been able to beat him out for minutes? OK.

Paschal had 5 of our 17 offensive rebounds Saturday. Was 4 for 7 from the field with 8 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 block and 1 turnover in 20 minutes.

Marek was 5 for 8 for 10 points, 5 rebounds (3offensive), 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover in 25 minutes.

I’d take that production from the center position any day especially with Williamson out.

It was our perimeter defense allowing their shooters to shoot, Barrett to penetrate and dribble across the zone at the foul line to find open shooters.
We had 9 steals to Duke’s 2 and only 5 turnovers to 13 for Duke. Our inability to shoot and create good shots for each other was the issue, including free throws. They made 2 more points from free throws (14 for 16) despite that we had 3 more attempts (12 for 19) than they did. We needed to take advantage of their turnovers, our steals and free throws to win, we didn’t. :(

Are you talking about the two where Jones flashed to the paint? If so, the first one was a good contest by Chu. Jones missed but Chu got called for a phantom foul. Replay showed zero contact. I remember the reactions by the team. They were so frustrated with the call. They played good d and had the rebound in hand.

I think that was Chukwu’s third foul. ? Next time down, iirc, Jones takes and makes the same shot. Chu was much less aggressive coming out to contest.

Are you talking about the two where Jones flashed to the paint? If so, the first one was a good contest by Chu. Jones missed but Chu got called for a phantom foul. Replay showed zero contact. I remember the reactions by the team. They were so frustrated with the call. They played good d and had the rebound in hand.

I think that was Chukwu’s third foul. ? Next time down, iirc, Jones takes and makes the same shot. Chu was much less aggressive coming out to contest.

PC has a tendency to lose control of his arms and body. Pretty sure he brought his arms down and hit him, and may have followed through with his hips. But yeah, that's the play. I thought I saw a foul.

You can't wait until we have to rely on guys that haven't been able to beat him out for minutes? OK.
I would play sidibe and marek before PC - PC is never going to be good enough - if you're going to play a player that isn't good enough, I'd rather play one that at least has the chance to be good enough and will be on the roster for the next several seasons. PC is a lost cause. he hasn't proven to me that he is indeed better than sidibe or marek - he just gets more playing time.

given the roster - I would try and play man to man - PC and BS would both be much better in man imo - and with the height at the other positions - SU would be a nightmare in man for most teams...

i think the teams that SU plays have figured them out in the zone basically - teams with size AND 3 point shooting have been eating SU's lunch this season...in the tourney, it helps a la Michigan State...

i'm tired of players like braxton beverly and oconnell etc having career highs vs the zone...

if manning the middle is too hard for 5's to learn - then let them play man...or recruit players who actually can play in your system. that's just my opinion though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom