I thought Rak was solid tonight | Syracusefan.com

I thought Rak was solid tonight

pearl31

in cahoots
(except for the botched dunks)
Very active. Went after it hard in the 2nd half.
He is such a magnet for nickel-dime fouls though - the refs seem to want him in foul trouble every game.

I thought he played better than he has of late, but DePaul has no strong inside presence. He does pick up a lot of ticky tack fouls.

but DePaul has no strong inside presence
hey, I'm just looking for the slightest sign of anything from #25 at this point...

Yes he did which was good to see but Depaul's big men are no where to be found. He still found a way to foul out . Not good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a decent game.

Had a nice stretch toward the end of the first half where he rebounded quite well for a limited stretch. Looked good blocking shots.

Hit a nice jump shot, but missed dunks.

Hopefully, a confidence builder for Rak.

It's too late for Rak this year, we squandered the opportunity to develop him while practicing our three point shooting. Kid has upside - not sure how much, but more than what we've seen so far. Hopefully, as RF said, this can be a confidence builder and he can at least get to be a bit more of a factor on the boards though. Gotta have that to advance.

coach JB voiced some interesting comments on christmas in the post presser.

I hope we can get Rak involved in the offense early on, even if it's only getting him a couple shots or at least feeding him in the post and having him kick it right back out. Just keep him involved, because if he's involved early he tends to stay focused and involved throughout.

I hope we can get Rak involved in the offense early on, even if it's only getting him a couple shots or at least feeding him in the post and having him kick it right back out. Just keep him involved, because if he's involved early he tends to stay focused and involved throughout.

Bingo!

didn't write nuthin' down but he talked a little about his inconsistency,something about jamaica and how rakim likely won't truly realise his full potential until 2 years after school. also discussed coleman saying he's behind where he needs to be but we've had 8(?) great centers who did nothing as frosh...

We have to. Just dosn't make sense not to. I was disappointed that DePaul was getting a bunch of offensive rebounds in the 1H. They were small and not a good team. Throw away this tape. It is good to get some confidence back but no more crappy teams from now on. Chucking and getting some offensive rebounds to clean up the slop won't cut it anymore.

James was taller than every depaul player (this based off my viewpoint on a so so stream) and still jacked up 10 (?) threes. I know he made his way inside eventually but, WHY?

James was taller than every depaul player (this based off my viewpoint on a so so stream) and still jacked up 10 (?) threes. I know he made his way inside eventually but, WHY?

I know man. Don't get it. Took way too long before he started attempting more 2's. I don't like the general green lights we always seem to be allowed here but maybe the Senior night thing came into play with the horrendous trigger happy scenario with JS.

Because he is our best at the three pointer. Because you don't make your next shot without taking it. Because any good scorer who is not on can't get on without shooting. He did what he needed to do to help SU win.

DePaul's lack of quality big men doesn't change the fact that Rak showed more energy and aggressiveness than he has all season. Don't know if it was a turning point in his development but I sure hope so

I've been a harsh critic of Rak all season but I liked the way he played tonight and I can live with the missed dunks as those could be momentum changers in the BE if they go down. I also liked the fact that he and Baye were not running up top to set screens as that just leaves them 18 feet out for a rebound and no threat on a pick and roll (at least in this stage of there careers). I would keep Rak on the block and tell him to rebound or to look for the lob and go up strong. At least this way we can play 5 on 5 instead of 4 vs 5. I would not throw the lob to Baye but have him focusing strickly on both boards.

Because he is our best at the three pointer. Because you don't make your next shot without taking it. Because any good scorer who is not on can't get on without shooting. He did what he needed to do to help SU win.

And you miss 100% of the shots you don't take right? And the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese right?

It's called taking advantage of mismatches, and we often don't execute it effectively.

JS is a freak athlete with a nice mid-range stroke and length to shoot over people. He is our best 3 point shooter, and we need that from him to open things up, but he needs to not forget that he can do other things too.

Similarly, I've been impressed when TC takes that ball to the hoop or takes a non-3 pointer. It is in these moments that you can see that the kid's got game. He makes pretty good decisions in those situations and can finish a little. I think he has it in his head that since he's billed as "the 3 point shooter" that he is thinking too much on those 3 point attempts. Often he's spotting up and has a couple of seconds to get set and think about the shot before the pass comes to him. I'd like to see him start with a couple of closer shots first to just see the ball go through the rim. (not easy to do with limited minutes, I know)

JS is a freak athlete with a nice mid-range stroke and length to shoot over people. He is our best 3 point shooter, and we need that from him to open things up, but he needs to not forget that he can do other things too.

Similarly, I've been impressed when TC takes that ball to the hoop or takes a non-3 pointer. It is in these moments that you can see that the kid's got game. He makes pretty good decisions in those situations and can finish a little. I think he has it in his head that since he's billed as "the 3 point shooter" that he is thinking too much on those 3 point attempts. Often he's spotting up and has a couple of seconds to get set and think about the shot before the pass comes to him. I'd like to see him start with a couple of closer shots first to just see the ball go through the rim. (not easy to do with limited minutes, I know)

TC is a very good passer. Sets up our players nicely. I bet if he played around twenty mins he'd avg around 5 assists.

DePaul's lack of quality big men doesn't change the fact that Rak showed more energy and aggressiveness than he has all season. Don't know if it was a turning point in his development but I sure hope so

Yeah, this was one of the better displays of desire from Christmas. Had some very strong defensive rebounds (not sure why he has such difficulty keeping his feet on those boards, though - half the time he's falling out of bounds, dancing around like he's rolled an ankle).

Missed dunks are awful, but he continues to show that he brings something to the table when his teammates get him involved (and Mike and Triche did a good job at that last night; Mike had some spectacular passes). Very decent game.

If Christmas gets that many touches in each of our games, we're going to win a few more times this season.

And you miss 100% of the shots you don't take right? And the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese right?

It's called taking advantage of mismatches, and we often don't execute it effectively.
To help your memory & stay on topic you asked WHY? in reference to Southy's game last night, which by the way he had a large part in our victory. You can concentrate on parts of the game and ignore the overall and the adjustments to have rant party or you can digest the whole ball of wax. Guess he should have never shot from the outside knowing in advance his shot wouldn't fall. That is what really drives me nuts -- the Monday morning QB's.

And your analogies pertain to basketball how? It does explain your thinking process though. I gather no-one should shoot from your logic and we would never ever miss. Brilliant! What exactly is that called? Enlighten me.

To help your memory & stay on topic you asked WHY? in reference to Southy's game last night, which by the way he had a large part in our victory. You can concentrate on parts of the game and ignore the overall and the adjustments to have rant party or you can digest the whole ball of wax. Guess he should have never shot from the outside knowing in advance his shot wouldn't fall. That is what really drives me nuts -- the Monday morning QB's.

And your analogies pertain to basketball how? It does explain your thinking process though. I gather no-one should shoot from your logic and we would never ever miss. Brilliant! What exactly is that called? Enlighten me.

I'm at work and have limited posting time, but I'll enlighten you later when I get home and have the time to seriously respond. In the meantime here is my response:

LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom