I tip my cap to teams that just play basketball and don't play stallball | Syracusefan.com

I tip my cap to teams that just play basketball and don't play stallball

Alsacs

Living Legend
I know the name of the game is to win the game, but watching North Carolina and Iowa State playing a regular basketball game or Wichita State and Kentucky play up and down basketball is so refreshing.

Tournament games have turned into slow tempo milk 25 seconds off each possession and have a final score in 50s or if we are real lucky in the low 60s.

It is really killing the game slowly.

AMEN... Dayton didnt even look to start their offense until 15-20 seconds into the possession... Play basketball... Although, Syracuses' 2-3 zone forces a much slower tempo...

AMEN... Dayton didnt even look to start their offense until 15-20 seconds into the possession... Play basketball... Although, Syracuses' 2-3 zone forces a much slower tempo...
I don't buy that the zone creates a slower tempo. It seems that teams with lesser talent these days just run the burn offense, limit possesions, and hope for the best. Our half-court offense was brutal the last half of the season, but usually more athletic teams struggle when they are forced into a slow plodding half court game. If you were an opposing coach wouldn't you run stall ball and give yourself a shot, rather than hoping you can keep up with the more talented team? it's bad to watch, but better strategically imho.

I don't buy that the zone creates a slower tempo. It seems that teams with lesser talent these days just run the burn offense, limit possesions, and hope for the best. Our half-court offense was brutal the last half of the season, but usually more athletic teams struggle when they are forced into a slow plodding half court game. If you were an opposing coach wouldn't you run stall ball and give yourself a shot, rather than hoping you can keep up with the more talented team? it's bad to watch, but better strategically imho.
Good point but the zone definitely does.. If you pressure on defense teams are forced to get into their offense or they will turn It over much easier... Teams just dribble with no pressure against Syracuse for twenty seconds.. Regardless, it's insane that they still have a 35 second shot clock... Girls have a 30...

That being said we still took 5o shots. Its not a first to 10 points wins scenario.

I know the name of the game is to win the game, but watching North Carolina and Iowa State playing a regular basketball game or Wichita State and Kentucky play up and down basketball is so refreshing.

Tournament games have turned into slow tempo milk 25 seconds off each possession and have a final score in 50s or if we are real lucky in the low 60s.

It is really killing the game slowly.
You must hate watching us then. We have the worst pace of an elite program I have ever seen. Elite programs usually are the aggressors unless your are coached by HCJB and you play the percentages of the zone.

Yeah, we definitely have become somewhat painful to watch of late.

You would think we could challenge teams a bit more, or take more chances with the press, whatever, just due to the fact that we have so many guys that are good shotblockers. It's Keita's one strength (prior to hurting his knee), Rak is good, Grant is good, CJ decent, etc...

Horrible offensively and no transition game due to X amount of issues makes Jack a dull boy.
Horrible offensively and no transition game due to X amount of issues makes Jack a dull boy.

You must hate watching us then. We have the worst pace of an elite program I have ever seen. Elite programs usually are the aggressors unless your are coached by HCJB and you play the percentages of the zone.
I hate watching our halfcourt offense. I have no freaking clue what type of offense we run or what the philosophy is except for our guys to use their talent in ISO and beat their guy and score either by a jumpshot or going to the hole.

I really do miss that 2010 team.
They were awesome.. Andy could actually consistently make shots... Wes was unreal... AO, RJ, Triche, KJO coming off the bench... Unreal... God Zamn Butler

They were awesome.. Andy could actually consistently make shots... Wes was unreal... AO, RJ, Triche, KJO coming off the bench... Unreal... God Zamn Butler
Yup, that team was special, but don't overlook arinze he was a difference maker in the middle. But sadly, we definitely have had way more than our share of bad luck come tourney time. Injuries, refs wanting to be part of the game, instead of calling the game (if you know what I mean), grind it out stagnant games that we always seem to suck at playing in the ncaa's. We are always afraid of playing a Louisville or other "hot" teams, but I guarantee you that name programs like those do not slow the damn game down. That was and seemingly has always been our achillies heel, and it magnified our impotent scoring this year exponentially as every possession had more pressure to score.