I WANT SOMEONE RIGHT NOW | Syracusefan.com

I WANT SOMEONE RIGHT NOW

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
To simply agree that JB doesn't have the ability to recruit 9-10 guys who are ready to play on a yearly basis. Because you are WRONG

To simply agree that JB doesn't have the ability to recruit 9-10 guys who are ready to play on a yearly basis. Because you are WRONG

Nice signature:

Jim Boeheim- 946-316 (.750)
2003 National Champion,4 final fours, 3 national championship game appearances, 52 tournament wins(Top 5 All-Time), 2012-2013 Final Four, 36 20+ win seasons, 10 consensus All-Americans, 16 Sweet 16s, Sweet 16 Appearance or better four of last five years

To simply disagree that JB doesn't have the ability to recruit 9-10 guys who are ready to play on a yearly basis. Because you are WRONG

When the second winningest coach in college ball says his McD freshman players are not ready to play the zone…I tend to take him at his word.

Why would he lie? What motivation would he have to not play a deeper bench? How does that make any sense at all?

The thing is, JB could have 1100 wins and 3 titles but if he doesn’t win it every year people will always question his ability of this and that. It’s quite stupid honestly but that is how it works. I’ve learned to be thankful for what we have because he is better than 95% of other college coaches, period.

He can, but they leave early and we might lose a couple more. We lost the NBA rookie of the year, what can you do? It's the nature of college basketball.

JB plays no more than 7 or 8 after start of conference play. It's been that way for 35 years. He could coach for another 35 years and it would still be that way.

Doesn't mean he doesn't recruit 9 or 10 guys that can play. Almost all of our players on scholarship can play (some end up busts). Being able to play and being able to play for JB are two totally different things.

Mantonio..is that you?

When the second winningest coach in college ball says his McD freshman players are not ready to play the zone…I tend to take him at his word.

Why would he lie? What motivation would he have to not play a deeper bench? How does that make any sense at all?

BS... The following stats outweigh anything JB has done!

Evan Nolte from UVA, hardly played all year, played some sparingly here and there. Anyways, their offense was completely STAGNANT verse coastal Carolina. Couldn't score, coach gives him a chance sparks the team with eight quick points and was a huge reason why they won that game. Nolte can't guard the dead either but Bennett knew that maybe he could provide the spark with a couple made shots...

The thing is, JB could have 1100 wins and 3 titles but if he doesn’t win it every year people will always question his ability of this and that. It’s quite stupid honestly but that is how it works. I’ve learned to be thankful for what we have because he is better than 95% of other college coaches, period.
I disagree with your first statement. It's quite stupid honestly but that is how it works. I’ve learned to be thankful for what we have because he is better than 95% of other college coaches, period.

Evan Nolte from UVA, hardly played all year, played some sparingly here and there. Anyways, their offense was completely STAGNANT verse coastal Carolina. Couldn't score, coach gives him a chance sparks the team with eight quick points and was a huge reason why they won that game. Nolte can't guard the dead either but Bennett knew that maybe he could provide the spark with a couple made shots...

Change your name to "we are UVA" and go root for them!

We Are Syracuse said:

There is so much wrong with this statement. But I'll go with the low hanging fruit:

When we recruited those guys I don't think he thought they'd all sit. They determined that by their play in practice.

They will also all contribute next season if they improve - which they will.

He doesn't play that many guys, period.

That one example obviously proves your case beyond a reasonable doubt.

I disagree with your first statement. It's quite stupid honestly but that is how it works. I’ve learned to be thankful for what we have because he is better than 95% of other college coaches, period.

Let’s look at the facts, how many titles does Coach K have? And yet after the past few years of losing early there are a ton of Duke fans questioning his abilities. I think that in itself proves my point.

Change your name to "we are UVA" and go root for them!
No need to be like that. Just am baffled by the fact that this team never has more versatility off the bench

Great post,

We also need to understand how difficult it is to recruit players that are completely polished when you are recruiting student athletes. If you are Cal you recruit the very top athletes that are ready for the NBA. But even Cal has to mold those great players into a team. JB recruits mostly those athletes that will stay 3-4 years with an occasional one and done like Melo. Most of his recruits have at least one deficiency in their game -handle, shot, skinny etc.

There is so much wrong with this statement. But I'll go with the low hanging fruit:

When we recruited those guys I don't think he thought they'd all sit. They determined that by their play in practice.

They will also all contribute next season if they improve - which they will.

He doesn't play that many guys, period.
He NEEDS more development off the bench. Idk how other teams consistently do it, but jimmy needs to find ways to add more versatility to his teams offensively so when things aren't going right, other people can provide a spark. And I absolutely hope they are ready next year.. BJ and Buss IMO, have so much upside.

Cooneys not ready against good competition let alone anyone else on our bench.

Think about it this way and I know this is speculation, but that is what we do here. Is it probable that with a deeper bench we could have advanced to the finals more times and won another championship? Given JB's longevity, shouldn't he have won a lot of games? Twenty win seasons are nice but if he's so great shouldn't he have more than one championship? K is the only other coach to have been around as long at the same place and he has 4 championships. Bobby Knight had three.

I like the zone but it does indeed keep inferior teams in games. A well disciplined lesser skilled team can hang with us. We have seen it many times. Face it, the zone makes us one dimensional. A team doesn't even have to spend time preparing against a man defense with us. JB has wrinkles but the principles are the same. A disciplined team that stays with the game plan gets high percentage shots against us, just like Dayton did tonight. Add a decent shooting 3 ball team and we are in trouble.

JB is good, no doubt but he could have been great.

Fire away.

Think about it this way and I know this is speculation, but that is what we do here. Is it probable that with a deeper bench we could have advanced to the finals more times and won another championship? Given JB's longevity, shouldn't he have won a lot of games? Twenty win seasons are nice but if he's so great shouldn't he have more than one championship? K is the only other coach to have been around as long at the same place and he has 4 championships. Bobby Knight had three.

I like the zone but it does indeed keep inferior teams in games. A well disciplined lesser skilled team can hang with us. We have seen it many times. Face it, the zone makes us one dimensional. A team doesn't even have to spend time preparing against a man defense with us. JB has wrinkles but the principles are the same. A disciplined team that stays with the game plan gets high percentage shots against us, just like Dayton did tonight. Add a decent shooting 3 ball team and we are in trouble.

JB is good, no doubt but he could have been great.

Fire away.

Not saying you don’t have a solid argument but there is always two sides to the coin. How many games did the zone win? How many of the teams we’ve had would have been good man to man defenses? It’s always easy to look back and say what if but there is a chance it could have been worse had he done it your way. Last year, our zone single handedly got us to the final four, would we have been there if we played man and had a deeper bench? Who knows, but we got there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom