I was actually pretty optimistic about today | Syracusefan.com

I was actually pretty optimistic about today

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Buddy and Joe looked solid offensively. If we had a legit big they would be better defensively. Any games we win will be because we make 3’s. Let’s hope they turned the corner.

Buddy and Joe looked solid offensively. If we had a legit big they would be better defensively. Any games we win will be because we make 3’s. Let’s hope they turned the corner.

a better big isn’t going to change their physical limitations as defenders.

And the defense is abysmal especially at the top of the zone. Add that to our lack of foot speed, and apparently, any other options, & the lack of optimism is justified.

I was actually optimistic today too, but then the game started.

It can if their man drives by them but then has a tree to swat things away or windex errant shots he creates. Said big's(or bigs') offense would also likely have us playing from a deficit less often, also possibly changing the complexion of the defense.

The game today was more aesthetically pleasing to watch rather than a 54-53 game.
If we had a rim protecting big it could cover up the top of the zone being easy to penetrate.
Our bigs give us very little and what is worriesome is we don’t have any help coming from the outside for next year.
It’s Sidibe/Dolezaj/Edwards and hope JBA can play next year.

I really don't understand where JB is at right now with what he is doing. We got abused on the boards today again, I truly think it was worse than the box score suggests.

So why did our most physical player only get 5 minutes? I don't care how bad you think he played in that 5 minute run, this kind of game today should tell you we aren't going to see an above .500 record if we don't get him contributing.

Also, how the can you give up on Goodine. Again, I don't care how bad he is playing. Pretty obvious that this team isn't close to good enough with just the 4.5 guys he trusts.

I would rather give Edwards more burn than Quincy at this point. I do not see the genius ability wise or court sense wise.

I would rather give Edwards more burn than Quincy at this point. I do not see the genius ability wise or court sense wise.

He played 11 minutes today and his only stat was his 3 fouls. I'm not saying he shouldn't get minutes. I think we should be playing Hughes 35 - 40 mpg and every other live body on the bench should be dividing playing time based on who has a hot hand. Noone else has been consistently good enough to warrant burying anyone on the bench.

Last edited:
He played 11 minutes today and his only stat was his 3 fouls. I'm not saying he shouldn't get minutes. I think we should be playing Hughes 35 - 40 mpg and every other live body on the bench should be dividing playing time based on who has a hot hand. No body else has been consistently good, enough to warrant burying anyone on the bench.
He throws up at least one dumb shot a game and narrowly missed throwing two passes away. I agree we can't bury but he needs to start showing up.

I predicted 1-5 in this P5 stretch before it began, so I knew we were going to lose after beating Ga Tech. :(

He throws up at least one dumb shot a game and narrowly missed throwing two passes away. I agree we can't bury but he needs to start showing up.

Right. He's 2 for 15 from 3 on the year, and I'd venture to guess at least 10 of those misses were not even close. If he shoots a 3, it should be an immediate hook. Get on the damn block and do not leave there. If he can't contribute on the glass and in the post, then he doesn't have a role on this team.

I watched today's game and felt like we honestly didn't play that badly. Some truly awful calls, especially in the first half. I've seen us play far worse so far this season. But we still weren't ever able to get the lead under 9 for nearly the entire 2nd half. And that was with Buddy going off for another 20 point half.

I watched today's game and felt like we honestly didn't play that badly. Some truly awful calls, especially in the first half. I've seen us play far worse so far this season. But we still weren't ever able to get the lead under 9 for nearly the entire 2nd half. And that was with Buddy going off for another 20 point half.

I was on an airplane so didn't see the game. So, if we didn't play that badly, and still couldn't get the lead to under nine (with Buddy going off on O) doesn't this say a lot about our lack of defense? Just asking, but a lot of this mess is a lack of presence inside and a lack of discipline, ability, at the top of the zone?

The block on the 3 from Hughes seemed to be a bad call...but...Marek commit some truly dumb fouls.

I was on an airplane so didn't see the game. So, if we didn't play that badly, and still couldn't get the lead to under nine (with Buddy going off on O) doesn't this say a lot about our lack of defense? Just asking, but a lot of this mess is a lack of presence inside and a lack of discipline, ability, at the top of the zone?

Yeah, our defense is rough. We have some good stretches, but we lack the athleticism to maintain the effort when the players get tired.

I predicted 1-5 in this P5 stretch before it began, so I knew we were going to lose after beating Ga Tech. :(

That's pretty good. Now, if you also predicted that in those 5 P5 losses we'd lose all of them by double digits, I'd be even more impressed. ;):(

I really don't understand where JB is at right now with what he is doing. We got abused on the boards today again, I truly think it was worse than the box score suggests.

So why did our most physical player only get 5 minutes? I don't care how bad you think he played in that 5 minute run, this kind of game today should tell you we aren't going to see an above .500 record if we don't get him contributing.

Also, how the can you give up on Goodine. Again, I don't care how bad he is playing. Pretty obvious that this team isn't close to good enough with just the 4.5 guys he trusts.
Goodine should get a ton of minutes in the next three games to try to get up to speed and gain some confidence. He wont play though. Really same with Gurrier. He should play until he fouls out of the next three games.

hardly watched the whole game, but didn't Quincy pick up 2 fouls in like 30 seconds?

hardly watched the whole game, but didn't Quincy pick up 2 fouls in like 30 seconds?

The first foul where the ref called him for a push in the back from 80 feet away was ludicrous. I can't believe JB didn't actually lose his mind with some of those calls.

The first foul where the ref called him for a push in the back from 80 feet away was ludicrous. I can't believe JB didn't actually lose his mind with some of those calls.
must have culminated with that tech some time after, after seeing marek get 2 no calls (and 1s) in a row I had seen enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom