I wasn't particularly fond of Bud's Carmelo article today... | Syracusefan.com

I wasn't particularly fond of Bud's Carmelo article today...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
I took a disliking to Bud's article today on Carmelo. Although, relatively positive, I felt there was no need with the backhanded slap relative to his English speaking skills (or lack thereof) at the time. This rhetoric about his 'fractured English,' in my opinion, is so disingenuous, especially at this particular moment. But around here, he’ll forever be that amiable teenager with the braided hair and wide smile and fractured English who decided to deliver what needed delivering. Him choosing to quote Carmelo's exact words (to support his apparent motive) and not using the word brought vs. 'brung' (multiple times) is just superfluous. He could've just as easily summarized Carmelo's overall meaning. I'm relatively certain that I doubt anyone (other than Bud perhaps) remembered those exact words then, let alone, a decade later. IMO, just a pompous low blow attempt by Bud, which actually says more about him...​

I took a disliking to Bud's article today on Carmelo. Although, relatively positive, I felt there was no need with the backhanded slap relative to his English speaking skills (or lack thereof) at the time. This rhetoric about his 'fractured English,' in my opinion, is so disingenuous, especially at this particular moment. But around here, he’ll forever be that amiable teenager with the braided hair and wide smile and fractured English who decided to deliver what needed delivering. Him choosing to quote Carmelo's exact words (to support his apparent motive) and not using the word brought vs. 'brung' (multiple times) is just superfluous. He could've just as easily summarized Carmelo's overall meaning. I'm relatively certain that I doubt anyone (other than Bud perhaps) remembered those exact words then, let alone, a decade later. IMO, just a pompous low blow attempt by Bud, which actually says more about him...​

Why would you even read anything he writes?

Whenever I read anything written by Bud I think of this
original.jpg

You use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore Mr. Lamar

When I was a newspaper reporter, I generally cleaned up people's grammar. I felt not to do so,,,, would be to make fun of them.

Indeed, and you were a better reporter...and a better individual for it.

Poliquin is a hack. The chop job he did on Walt Sweeney, turning Walt into a caricature and a clown, showed me that Bud can't write his way out of a wet paper bag. Walt Sweeney and I were close friends; he was a bright, well-spoken, well-read, and sensitive guy, as well as one of the best guards ever to play in the NFL. None of that came out in Poliquin's article about Walt. Beyond the piece being about as deep as Saran-Wrap--focusing on Walt's well known battle with substance abuse--I also found it insensitive, given that Walt had just passed away. PS: Bud should do a little research on the development of American English. Many of the words brought forward by the likes of Dizzy Dean and black people were common spoken English a hundred years ago.

I accidently started reading this article on my phone - not realizing at first it was a BP article. It took about two sentances to recongnize his Pompous style of writing...and then on to the next article.

He actually responded to my email I mentioned. He stated that his editing of the article was specifically the result of my email and offered his apologies. I'm surprised, to say the least.
Good for you and good for Bud. I wish more people were like you and cto in this world...

I accidently started reading this article on my phone - not realizing at first it was a BP article. It took about two sentances to recongnize his Pompous style of writing...and then on to the next article.
I didn't make it through more than two sentences either.

I'm a little torn about this.
On the one hand, I hate the bad grammar that we always see & hear all around us. It seems like people just accept it & don't bother to point out mistakes anymore. If no one ever addresses it, they'll be SOME people who don't understand that its wrong.
Btw- ever try & listen to Shannon Sharpe on NFL Today? He makes my hair hurt! :bang:
OTOH- Melo's "fractured" English was maybe the LAST thing people remember about him. Indeed, he's not half-bad when it comes to that, so Bud's focusing on it seems to be...odd?

Bud should be fired. He's a hack writer and his stuff is not worth reading.

I think Bud is a good alternative to the standard vanilla writers of the world. He is a columnist, after all. You're not supposed to always agree with him.

I think Bud is a good alternative to the standard vanilla writers of the world. He is a columnist, after all. You're not supposed to always agree with him.

Exactly.

Bud is a columnist. So many reporters try to editorialize that this distinction has been lost on a generation of readers.

we get it. he's just a shitttttty columnist.

He's not standard vanilla - he's standard crap. Bring back Rahme & show Bud the door.

When I was a newspaper reporter, I generally cleaned up people's grammar. I felt not to do so,,,, would be to make fun of them.
Bud comes across as a frustrated individual. He may want to take up cooking or some other form of expression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom