I will not miss when David Luiz is sold this summer | Syracusefan.com

I will not miss when David Luiz is sold this summer

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Let me start by saying that I love David Luiz, but since Mourinho has come in, Luiz's chance-taking seems more and more obvious and out of character with what's required for success.

Chelsea fans have enjoyed his swashbuckling runs forward and his quality free kicks. But he has allowed too many guys to get inside him late on defense, like just last game when his error was responsible for losing 2 points late to Odemwinge of West Brom.

He has allowed too many stray passes at the back, taken too many bad cards, gotten ejected from games, and generally loses concentration too often at the end of games. Bad judgment and loss of concentration. We finished 4th and 6th with him and Mata. Great flair players, but not enough on the defensive side of the ball. Mourinho can teach a big strong younger player, who will be more willing to concentrate on his role in the side.

It's kind of like with Boeheim teams - guys are asked to play their proper roles. When guys do that, we thrive. We guys don't, we don't.

Sell Luiz for 40M Pounds to either Bayern, PSG or Barca. Sell Lukaku for 25M. Do not renew Cole and Lampard (huge savings on salary for FFP). Renew Terry for 1 year at 1o0K/week, down from 150K.

Trade Courtois to Atletico for Diego Costa. Use the money from Luiz to buy Cavani from PSG, where he's unhappy. Sign Sammi Khedeira from Real Madrid with the money from Lukaku. Bring a couple of the young guys on loan into the senior team as squad players for next year.

Sell Marko Marin and Oriol Romeu to their current Spanish clubs for around 5-8M each, or exchange them for a bit less plus a couple new prospects (continuing reinvestment in young talent). Sell Torres for 10-15M. Use that money (Spain + Torres) to make a bid for Luke Shaw for Left Back, or else find a more affordable one in Germany, Serbia, Greece or some central European country.

That is my Chelsea blueprint for world domination next year.

Last edited:
You don't think Lukaku is worthy of the CF spot at Chelsea? I think he's a tremendous talent. Having Costa and Cavani would obviously be ridiculous. Not to mention the legion of players they have on loan. Piazon especially has been good at Vitesse this year. Their best piece of business was getting Kurt Zouma.

As for left back, Shaw has tremendous potential. Ben Davies from Swansea has some quality as well.

You don't think Lukaku is worthy of the CF spot at Chelsea? I think he's a tremendous talent. Having Costa and Cavani would obviously be ridiculous. Not to mention the legion of players they have on loan. Piazon especially has been good at Vitesse this year. Their best piece of business was getting Kurt Zouma.

As for left back, Shaw has tremendous potential. Ben Davies from Swansea has some quality as well.

I think Lukaku has gotten on Mourinho's wrong side, and he has said some intemperate things in public.

I think he could be good at running at tired defensive lines as a late game sub, much like Sir Alex used Chicharito as a late game super-sub for a few years. But I don't think his hold up play is good enough yet.

He's kind of like a faster, stronger Demba Ba - about the same level of skill on the ball. Sometimes he shows more promise, and he is very young, but sometimes he seems a little heavy and out of shape (a thing he may fight over the years) and his hold up play needs to be better at the elite level. He's only a sub for Chelsea. He turns the ball over too frequently for Mourinho and he doesn't work hard enough to win it back.

If he had 2 guys as good as Costa and Cavani, that would be perfect. Two #1s, which is what Mourinho has always wanted. Chelsea plays over 60 games a year, and they could play together or relieve each other. Gotta have 2 top guys. He had Higuain, Benzema (and Ronaldo!) at Real Madrid. I think financially they can make it work under FFP as I have suggested above. That's my GM hat on for what I'd do.

IM that was impressive, as a Chelsea supporter id like that but rather sell Torres and give 20 mil for costa to athletico... Courtis will be needed next year Cech will slow down some. Lukaku tho still think can be a huge player with Chelsea too

IM that was impressive, as a Chelsea supporter id like that but rather sell Torres and give 20 mil for costa to athletico... Courtis will be needed next year Cech will slow down some. Lukaku tho still think can be a huge player with Chelsea too

I'd like to keep Courtois, too, but it will mean Cech has to go, and I don't think Mourinho would do that outright, with Courtois never having played in England before. Too much risk in that. Cech (and Chelsea) lead the Premier League with only 21 goals allowed in 26 games. Although Courtois is doing better for Atletico in terms of goals per game, there is not the depth of competition, nor as nasty weather, as you encounter in England.

I think getting just 1 center forward means that you have to keep Lukaku, which certainly wouldn't be terrible. But I just don't think Jose likes him that much. The kid handed in a transfer request the day after missing the winning penalty against Pep Guardialo and Bayern in his first big match. Major choke. Mourinho signs Eto'o and Lukaku asks to quit Chelsea the next day. Very weak.