I wish Bill Walton would broadcast an occasional SU game... | Syracusefan.com

I wish Bill Walton would broadcast an occasional SU game...

cto

Administrator
Randomly listening to him and Dave Pasch do the Oregon/USC game (which came on after our BC game tonight) and I'm thoroughly enjoying him.

He has drifted into everything from a listing of Thomas Edison's inventions and famous sayings (it is Thomas Edison's birthday today) to the history of the Acadians who were driven from the Maritime Provinces to SW Louisiana where they became the Cajuns. Along the way he quoted from Longfellow's "Evangeline" (which he said was John Wooden's favorite poem). This digression was prompted by a mention of Luisiana-Lafayette (known as the Ragin Cajuns).

Pasch occasionally had to remind him they were broadcasting a basketball game, but even that was part of the fun.

Last edited:
I can't stand the guy on so many levels. The way he used his position to attack ben Howland was one of the most unprofessional things I have heard on tv. But I will stick to basketball. When I watch a game on tv, I would like to believ thecolor guy will sometimes talk about the game. I can't stand the guy.

He's like listening to the "DUDE" ...you know in the Big Lebowski. Actually everytime I watch that movie I imagine Bill Walton in the lead role. Their would be no second takes, Bill could just be himself.

Walton is the definition of the margin between genius and insanity is a razor thin. That guy is pure entertainment and I love how Pasch just ignores a lot of his comments.

The PAC-12 is all that Walton does because he lives in San Diego. I would love to hear him call an Orange game.

It's great that ESPN lets Walton be himself, and that Pasch is comfortable enough in his ability to not constantly talk over his ramblings. I mean how many color commentators actually bring value to a broadcast these days? Last night Ellis said BC was at their best in transition- even though they play at a slower pace than Syracuse because they have no depth at all.

5 minutes of him is entertaining, not sure if I could handle a 2 hour broadcast.

Walton is entertaining if you're watching 2 teams you really don't care much about. For a Cuse game he would be talking about everything other than the game, which I don't think I'd appreciate.

I can't stand the guy on so many levels. The way he used his position to attack ben Howland was one of the most unprofessional things I have heard on tv. But I will stick to basketball. When I watch a game on tv, I would like to believ thecolor guy will sometimes talk about the game. I can't stand the guy.

The Howland era was very interesting. I was surprised they let him do those games. He was definitely anti-Ben.

Of course, I never liked Ben, so I was kind of okay with it. :)

That being said, I thoroughly enjoy the insanity. When he starts talking about legalizing drugs, or pretending like he doesn't know who Dave is...well, it's funny to me.

"I'm doing the Arizona game tomorrow, they have me working with some guy named Dave." - Bill Walton to Dave Pasch

He then pretended not to know him the next night as well. So random.

The Howland era was very interesting. I was surprised they let him do those games. He was definitely anti-Ben.

Of course, I never liked Ben, so I was kind of okay with it. :)

That being said, I thoroughly enjoy the insanity. When he starts talking about legalizing drugs, or pretending like he doesn't know who Dave is...well, it's funny to me.

"I'm doing the Arizona game tomorrow, they have me working with some guy named Dave." - Bill Walton to Dave Pasch

He then pretended not to know him the next night as well. So random.

which of course opens the door to Cheech and Chong's "Dave's not here!" Come on Pasch, get in on the act!

Randomly listening to him and Dave Pasch do the Oregon/USC game (which came on after our BC game tonight) and I'm thoroughly enjoying him.

He has drifted into everything from a listing of Thomas Edison's inventions and famous sayings (it is Thomas Edison's birthday today) to the history of the Acadians who were driven from the Maritime Provinces to SW Louisiana where they became the Cajuns. Along the way he quoted from Longfellow's "Evangeline" (which he said was John Wooden's favorite poem). This digression was prompted by a mention of Luisiana-Lafayette (known as the Ragin Cajuns).

Pasch occasionally had to remind him they were broadcasting a basketball game, but even that was part of the fun.

He is a good guy. In Portland he shot hoops at the local court, dated a friend of a friend of mine and he would show up at out of the way music concerts like to hear Holly Near at a mostly empty local hall when she was just starting out. He would sit pretty much up front and sprawl out across the folding chairs.

In that Oregon game he was referring to a player as Snoop Dogg (throw it down Snoop dogg one time!).

How can you not smile listening to Bill? I respect people's opinions (dasher :eek: ) but wow..I just don't get it.

The guy is all smiles. He's hilarious. Loves the game...but most importantly, the guy knows what he's talking about. And not only that, he is very intelligent. And witty. If you listen to some of his comments, they actually make a ton of sense.

Easily my favorite broadcaster. Would love a panel of Bilas, Walton, Van Gundy, and Barkley.

Earlier this year Bilas and Walton worked with Pasch and it was great TV.

Washington plays Zona tonight. Walton on the call. Tune in.

Yeah well...that's just like uh, your opinion, man.

Yeah well...that's just like uh, your opinion, man.
yes and the sky is blue. Of course it's my opinion. I never said you weren't um...well...entitled to yours. He was also a P.O.S. when he played at U.C.L.A. . He was rude to the media. The same media he is part of today.

yes and the sky is blue. Of course it's my opinion. I never said you weren't um...well...entitled to yours. He was also a P.O.S. when he played at U.C.L.A. . He was rude to the media. The same media he is part of today.

Am I wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom