I would rather... | Syracusefan.com

I would rather...

grant

2018-19 Co-Iggy Hoops ACC Season Record
Decline an NIT bid and just rest up for next year. I honestly see no point in playing any post season basketball unless it is the NCAA tourney. Since we only play about 6 players, everyone up to this point has plenty of game experience. I do not know about everyone else but that is just my opinion on it.

Decline an NIT bid and just rest up for next year. I honestly see no point in playing any post season basketball unless it is the NCAA tourney. Since we only play about 6 players, everyone up to this point has plenty of game experience. I do not know about everyone else but that is just my opinion on it.
01-02, bruh.

JB won’t do that, as you know. Perhaps he would make an exception for this battered team, but that would be “unpresidented.”

Seems like a crybaby thing to do.

Unless we lose like two more players to injury in the final game and cannot field a competitive team, go play ball in whatever tournament you’re invited too.

Ball players want to play, IMO.

That would be weak sauce. We play the schedule that lies ahead. If it means playing in the NIT, then you do it. I can't stand the thought of us having to play NIT games, but if that's where we end up, so be it. Don't be a quitter.

It can add wins to his resume. He'd never decline a bid so he can grab a win or two.

This one should generate some interesting replies...

I'll make some more...

popcorn-landing.gif

It wouldn't be fair the the ACC. They get a cut out of income we generate. We can't take their money and refuse to earn some ourselves.

It's not wrong
I don't believe that for one second. I think if we are NIT bound, JB will want the season to end as badly as we do. lol Well, saying to end as badly as we do is not the way I should have written that. If we are in the NIT, it already would have ended as badly as it could.

This team will have 6-7 months to "rest up". You don't pass on the NIT, even though it stinks to be in it, in order to get ready for the following year. What a wimpy move that'd be.

If JB feels that way, then I will certainly feel differently about him.

The NIT has some upside to it. Many teams in recent years have gone far in the NIT and been improved and better off for it the next season. TCU won it last year and seem to be having a decent season this year. Since this is a young team that needs further development playing a postseason is crucial no matter the tournament. Skipping the NIT would be like Dino turning down a bowl bid because it’s not on New Years Day. I’m sure last years guys weren’t all that motivated for the NIT but this roster is totally different. Plus I’d rather watch several Cuse games on ESPN during March than have none at all.

In 2002, Syracuse played Butler in an NIT game in the Dome. It was a small crowd, but the atmosphere was electric. It was the salt-of-the-earth Cuse fans sitting down low, not the people who got hooked up with some corporate ticket and aren't emotionally invested.

The NIT gives people with a tighter budget an opportunity to let their kids (i.e. the next generation of Cuse fans) get super close to the action.

In 2002, Syracuse played Butler in an NIT game in the Dome. It was a small crowd, but the atmosphere was electric. It was the salt-of-the-earth Cuse fans sitting down low, not the people who got hooked up with some corporate ticket and aren't emotionally invested.

The NIT gives people with a tighter budget an opportunity to let their kids (i.e. the next generation of Cuse fans) get super close to the action.
And that's really cool.

Although for a bit of an older fan like myself, watching an NIT game is a cross between having to get a prostrate exam and cleaning my gutters. Neither being enjoyable but I'll do it if need be. In either case, I always feel dirty afterwards.

I took my now fiancé to one of the NIT games last year. It was her first ever Syracuse game, we sat down low and had a great time. Much of the crowd that day was younger in age. Not everyone can afford to bring their family to a game and get great seats. If they miss the tournament we can be disappointed but it gives some people a chance to watch SU hoops in March locally. I don’t see Syracuse as “too good for the NIT”.

I remember heckling the Butler band, or whatever skeleton crew they had there.
It was a mostly empty Dome, but quite fun and energetic.

I love to watch Syracuse basketball -- the day the season ends, the worse it is. Yes, the last two seasons haven't been highlights but...I'd still sign up for more basketball than less. I still think we've outperformed most of our expectations this year. Last go back to pre-season and then you consider the injuries...It's frustrating to lose that game the other night and I was mad as hell...but the sanctions have wreaked havoc and we're not doing a great job.

Declining the NIT is the ultimate arrogant move. It gives kids an opportunity to improve and play in more games. There is plenty of time to rest when the season is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom