I would take Triche or Scoop over flynn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I would take Triche or Scoop over flynn

Senior Scoops 3 point shot, finishing of layups (strong build) and midrange pullup were enough to be easily noticably better then Flynns imo. He knew how to hit big shots.

Flynn could break just about everyone down one on one(maybe everyone) and he was undoubtably better at running a offense with no high post up guy.
Flynn could fit in just about any syracuse offense as he was more of a take over leader and isolation player, but that being said Scoop might be a better fit in some offenses. He was closer to having SG skills for a point then Flynn. Even closer to SG skills then Triche imo.

Triche I love him but not over flynn or scoop.

Flynn was better, and it's not close.

His freshman year, we had like 7 healthy players and they were mostly young. Nothing we could do about that. If Devendorf and Rautins were healthy, that team would've been pretty good by the end of the year.

Flynn's sophomore team had the misfortune of competing in the strongest conference in the history of college hoops. 2009 was ridiculously tough. So they took a few more losses, but still had a good year with a ton of very good wins.

Those saying Flynn fought the zone...he kind've had a point. That team sucked at the zone. Not a good fit for them. If he and Harris wanted to play man, they should've known Boeheim wasn't going to change and should've went elsewhere.

I know Boeheim has his system, and when we have the right pieces we can be incredible defensively. But we really didnt have the pieces in those years.

It's not Flynn's fault he's 5'10.

I'd take Devo over all three of them.

Flynn was unreal his sophmore year here I think. When you get drafted as a completely undersized guard as a sophmore in the top 5 or whatever it was, that's dang impressive.

Offense: Flynn and it's not close.
Defense: Triche and it's not close.
All around player: Scoop but it's close.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The interesting thing about the OP's post is he offered no reasoning to why he'd take either. No statistical analysis, no nothing to prove his point. It makes me wonder if this dude is just trolling.

Soph flynn shot 46% from the field and only 31% from three and he wasn't taking the big 3.
Senior Scoop shot 47.4 from the field and 38 percent from three as a senior and he could hit the big shot. I wouldn't call that better offensively.

Actually it was offense that hurt flynns stock he wasn't a great 3 point shooter and he really did not have a solid pullup or one handed floater in the lane for someone with his speed and burn by ability.

Flynn went so high in the nba because of his speed and isolation ability good assist numbers and hard work. It showed signs he could run a team at point.

I love all syracuse guys but Flynn had some atrocious games as a sophmore, just like scoop and MCW, but that was also the toughest competition ever for the NBE.
I remember for example him flying right by brandon knight of pitt he would have nobody on him 8 feet of seperation from all defenders and couldn't pullup for a 12 footer like 6-10 times in that game.

Flynn was an exceptional college talent, but his legacy is hurt by how successful the teams that came after him were proven to be.
If true, and I'm not saying its not. Why is Flynn's legacy hurt but the legacy of Leo Rautins, Erich Santifer and Red Bruin aren't. SU was more successful in the 5 years after those players left but I don't think their legacy has been negatively impacted. The Jonny I remember left his guts on the floor after playing 67 minutes and scoring 34 pts against UCONN in the BET. Whatever Jonny has or hasn't done in the NBA doesn't change how great he was at SU. For anyone to imply that 2 guys that either weren't or likely may not be drafted at all were better than an SU player that went #6 overall is just looking to be negative. I know you didn't say this, I just replied here to address how his legacy is impacted.

If true, and I'm not saying its not. Why is Flynn's legacy hurt but the legacy of Leo Rautins, Erich Santifer and Red Bruin aren't. SU was more successful in the 5 years after those players left but I don't think their legacy has been negatively impacted.

Answer - because I'm too young to really remember those guys.

Answer - because I'm too young to really remember those guys.
Fair enough. But for some perspective, Rautins also had a disappointing NBA career though his was more obviously impacted by injury. In my opinion I would have taken Rautins and Santifer over Greg Monroe and Howard Triche, yet Monroe & Triche were senior starters on a team that came within Howard trimming his fingernails too short of winning a national championship. I never looked down on Rautins, Santifer and Bruin because the teams after them had more success. Not enough can be said about supporting casts also.

If true, and I'm not saying its not. Why is Flynn's legacy hurt but the legacy of Leo Rautins, Erich Santifer and Red Bruin aren't. SU was more successful in the 5 years after those players left but I don't think their legacy has been negatively impacted. The Jonny I remember left his guts on the floor after playing 67 minutes and scoring 34 pts against UCONN in the BET. Whatever Jonny has or hasn't done in the NBA doesn't change how great he was at SU. For anyone to imply that 2 guys that either weren't or likely may not be drafted at all were better than an SU player that went #6 overall is just looking to be negative. I know you didn't say this, I just replied here to address how his legacy is impacted.
Flynn's legacy gets hurt by the subsequent performance of the team after he departed because he openly questioned the effectiveness of the zone. Then after his departure the defense and the zone had a noticeable rise while being played by people who are considered lesser talents.

Leo, Erich, and Red didn't make controversial statements. And they didn't have their open criticisms subsequently look so foolish. We just aren't hearing a lot from the abandon the zone crowd at this time. Makes you think it wasn't the system, it was the people, and JF was a key player among those people before the big shift occurred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom