I'd be a bit concerned, were I a UConn fan | Syracusefan.com

I'd be a bit concerned, were I a UConn fan

garnermike

Walk On
Not about Kevin Ollie as coach, but about him as co-coach.

Read this piece.

I've been an informal student of how organizations respond to leadership, especially new leadership. At the current time, I am approaching my own retirement after 38 years in higher ed (25 with the same program), and at 63 years of age. I could have stayed in my job for many more years (like Calhoun).

When I leave, I won't be "hanging around"; I won't be an unofficial advisor or ghost boss. I won't even discuss that sort of role with my employer nor my replacement (who I had limited input into hiring; it was a wide open search).

With my own various internal promotions and job assignments over the years, I was always blessed with predecessors in my positions who didn't linger around, watching over my shoulder, and certainly not having a vote on whether I kept my job or not. And in turn, I did the same in how I interacted with the people who replaced me; I got out of their way and their business as fully as I could.

For JC (or any other retiree) to be given that much of a vote for whether his hand-picked replacement choice will stick around or not, is just not good organizational management, in my book. And something called a "hands-on advisory role" is an oxymoron; you're either advisory, or you're hands-on, i.e., you're the coach (or officially the co-coach), or not.

I guess I shouldn't care if JC's "hanging around" role winds up messing things up for UConn; they are, afterall, UConn. I just don't think, organizationally, that the "John Thompson model" is a good one for any school or organization to follow.

I feel strongly enough about this that I would not even want JB to play a similar role to Calhoun's when JB goes. I hope he just says "Goodbye. It's been great. Hop, it's all yours, here are the keys. Call me only when you feel the need. Give 'em hell!"

Curious as to how many of you feel as I do --or not-- re: JB's post-retirement role.

Read this piece.

I've been an informal student of how organizations respond to leadership, especially new leadership. At the current time, I am approaching my own retirement after 38 years in higher ed (25 with the same program), and at 63 years of age. I could have stayed in my job for many more years (like Calhoun).

When I leave, I won't be "hanging around"; I won't be an unofficial advisor or ghost boss. I won't even discuss that sort of role with my employer nor my replacement (who I had limited input into hiring; it was a wide open search).

With my own various internal promotions and job assignments over the years, I was always blessed with predecessors in my positions who didn't linger around, watching over my shoulder, and certainly not having a vote on whether I kept my job or not. And in turn, I did the same in how I interacted with the people who replaced me; I got out of their way and their business as fully as I could.

For JC (or any other retiree) to be given that much of a vote for whether his hand-picked replacement choice will stick around or not, is just not good organizational management, in my book. And something called a "hands-on advisory role" is an oxymoron; you're either advisory, or you're hands-on, i.e., you're the coach (or officially the co-coach), or not.

I guess I shouldn't care if JC's "hanging around" role winds up messing things up for UConn; they are, afterall, UConn. I just don't think, organizationally, that the "John Thompson model" is a good one for any school or organization to follow.

I feel strongly enough about this that I would not even want JB to play a similar role to Calhoun's when JB goes. I hope he just says "Goodbye. It's been great. Hop, it's all yours, here are the keys. Call me only when you feel the need. Give 'em hell!"

Curious as to how many of you feel as I do --or not-- re: JB's post-retirement role.

Excellent post. I felt exactly the same thing as I read the report from the press conference. This sounds like Calhoun will be coming to practices when his hip permits. How do you think that's going to go over with both Ollie and the kids? It has to cause confusion. If Calhoun shows up at practice, he'll still be the boss, and Ollie will be this odd third wheel.

Excellent post. I felt exactly the same thing as I read the report from the press conference. This sounds like Calhoun will be coming to practices when his hip permits. How do you think that's going to go over with both Ollie and the kids? It has to cause confusion. If Calhoun shows up at practice, he'll still be the boss, and Ollie will be this odd third wheel.

Yeah this is very odd. If Calhoun is gone he needs to be gone. Ollie needs to be the man inc harge, no questions asked.

I'd be concerned about Kevin Ollie as the coach and representative of the school.

From his earlier interview with ESPN Ollie said "I"m used to it" he said "My first six years in the NBA, I didn't have no guaranteed contract. This is easy. This is exactly where I want to be at."

He's already a PR nightmare. Can you imagine what he's going to say when he has to improvise? The above comment came to a question that should not have been a surprise. Are they going to mention that he is a UConn graduate? Would you want them to?

The odds of this guy lasting are not very good. As a big time program you just can't have morons representing your school. It looks bad. Real bad.

That article does not sound good.

What are the odds that Calhoun decides he's unhappy with Ollie's performance, and his one year away gave him the recharge he needed?

Probably low, but high enough that Ollie should never feel comfortable this year.

If JC had any respect for Ollie, he would go nowhere near that program for this year. Let the program adjust to JC's reduced role without having him be an everyday presence.

I was over on the UConn board to ask that question, and got into an unintentionally contentious discussion about this. Some of them recognize that the commitment to Ollie was a hollow one by Manuel, their AD, and won't help recruiting. Others feel that he was treated fine. I just don't like the dynamic of the retired coach coming to practice to oversee how things are going.

When JB leaves, I want him on the golf course, in the community, doing PR / media work, doing charity work. I don't want him at practice, second guessing what Mike is doing when he wants to work in some man-to-man defense, for instance.

I think the old coach should come back when his last recruit has left the program.

Don't create any situation where a college kid has got to be dividing loyalties.

When JB leaves, I want him on the golf course, in the community, doing PR / media work, doing charity work. I don't want him at practice, second guessing what Mike is doing when he wants to work in some man-to-man defense, for instance.

I would be shocked if JB does anything other than what you are suggesting once he walks away. Hop is a devoted student of the game and an outstanding recruiter, and has been groomed by JB to take over one day. While there are no certainties, I have every reason to believe he will be an excellent coach.

The contrast with the UConn situation is startling. Kevin Ollie seems ill-prepared to take over a major program on short notice. Since next season will already be a lost year for UConn in terms of tournament eligibility, it seems Ollie will only be keeping the seat warm. If UConn is not already actively conducting a national search for another coach, they are risking a swift fall into permanent mediocrity in an increasingly irrelevant Big East.

I would be shocked if JB does anything other than what you are suggesting once he walks away. Hop is a devoted student of the game and an outstanding recruiter, and has been groomed by JB to take over one day. While there are no certainties, I have every reason to believe he will be an excellent coach.

The contrast with the UConn situation is startling. Kevin Ollie seems ill-prepared to take over a major program on short notice. Since next season will already be a lost year for UConn in terms of tournament eligibility, it seems Ollie will only be keeping the seat warm. If UConn is not already actively conducting a national search for another coach, they are risking a swift fall into permanent mediocrity in an increasingly irrelevant Big East.

Yep, just look how fast teams like St. John's and Seton Hall dropped when they lost Louie and P.J., respectively. Neither school ever recovered.

I'd be concerned about Kevin Ollie as the coach and representative of the school.

From his earlier interview with ESPN Ollie said "I"m used to it" he said "My first six years in the NBA, I didn't have no guaranteed contract. This is easy. This is exactly where I want to be at."

He's already a PR nightmare. Can you imagine what he's going to say when he has to improvise? The above comment came to a question that should not have been a surprise. Are they going to mention that he is a UConn graduate? Would you want them to?

The odds of this guy lasting are not very good. As a big time program you just can't have morons representing your school. It looks bad. Real bad.

Every single national media writer has said Ollie's press conference was very impressive. So I have no idea what you're basing this on.

Every single national media writer has said Ollie's press conference was very impressive. So I have no idea what you're basing this on.

Why are there 12 pages on that thread talking it about it then, and whether Manuel did him wrong, or whether it was fair? And I certainly wasn't the only one talking about the shadow of Calhoun hanging over Ollie, as Coach Emeritus.

One UConn Fan's Opinion:

Disagree Ollie is a PR nightmare, his candor and enthusiasm far outweigh his vernacular.

Agree that organizationally there can be problems depending on JC's level of involvement, but in listening to both him and Ollie speak at the press conference I didn't get that impression. Perhaps that article suggests otherwise.

Ollie was essentially a player coach in the NBA for a few years before showing up at UConn. Some of our recent big name recruits can be directly attributed to him and I personally feel he played a large role in Kemba's development his Junior year and the strength of our back court going into this year.

Time will tell.

Let me ask you this -- as a UConn fan, are you sold on Ollie for the long term or would you prefer to see your school explore other coaching options?

I'm concerened that we waste our time talking about uconn on our board so much

Well, the state of UConn sports, as we leave the Big East and they remain, seems pretty important and of interest to most people here, since they have been our biggest rival in hoops, have been an annoying rival in football, and have built both their programs at our expense, historically speaking. If UConn drops in stature along with the Big East, that's important to our prospects going forward, as is the case if their coaching hire to replace a legend in Jim Calhoun, turns to crap.

Let me ask you this -- as a UConn fan, are you sold on Ollie for the long term or would you prefer to see your school explore other coaching options?

I agree that Ollie, personally, is a charming and charismatic guy. That's not the point. The point is whether a 2 year assistant getting the coaching job at the last minute, in a power play by the outgoing coach, and then only getting a 1 year contract, with numerous mentions of it being a try-out, and Coach Calhoun still being involved in the program, was a well-executed press event, and whether it helped or hurt UConn going forward in terms of recruiting, etc.

Personally, I'd rather bet the tier 1 status of the program on Ollie than bring in a more established but outside option. To me the reward of a successful, even if quasi successful Ollie justifies it. What happened in Connecticut over the last 25 years is a special thing. Its worth taking the shot of continuing the legacy in house.

To put it another way, if you told me I could choose between a sweet 16+ run with Ollie once every 5 years, or every 2-3 years with a hired gun, I'd take Ollie.

I am dissapointed in the 1 year contract. I think that with the security of knowing that Ollie will be in role at least 2-3 years will allow him to get off the ground with his first class. The uncertainty of who the coach will be beyond this upcoming season is concerning.
So you'd be willing to trade more consistent success for less consistent success just because your HC went to UConn?

Is that crazy to anyone else?

I'm concerened that we waste our time talking about uconn on our board so much
My guess is that next year, there won't be a whole lot of discussion about UConn. Unless ND goes all-in sooner than many think they will.

I'm not sold on Ollie long term but I support him getting a 4 year or so try out.

He spent 13 years in the NBA and played for all kinds of coaches. Towards the end of his career, he was on the team to show players like Durant and Lebron how an NBA professional behaves. He had a roster spot as a roll model.

He is a big part of the UCONN family and will be keeping people like Ray Allen and Rip and Okafor close to the program and maybe bringing in a Lebron James (with Ray) up to Storrs for a run. This has to help with recruiting.

I think he will be a great recruiter. Everyone says good things about him but it doesn't sound like the "nice" things people say - it sound sincere to me. His passion and commitment is obvious.

I hope Calhoun is an advisor to Ollie - not getting involved in practices or confusing the hierarchy. It has to be Ollie's team and I'm not sure that Calhoun fully embrace that.

I'm not sold on Ollie long term but I support him getting a 4 year or so try out.

He spent 13 years in the NBA and played for all kinds of coaches. Towards the end of his career, he was on the team to show players like Durant and Lebron how an NBA professional behaves. He had a roster spot as a roll model.

He is a big part of the UCONN family and will be keeping people like Ray Allen and Rip and Okafor close to the program and maybe bringing in a Lebron James (with Ray) up to Storrs for a run. This has to help with recruiting.

I think he will be a great recruiter. Everyone says good things about him but it doesn't sound like the "nice" things people say - it sound sincere to me. His passion and commitment is obvious.

I hope Calhoun is an advisor to Ollie - not getting involved in practices or confusing the hierarchy. It has to be Ollie's team and I'm not sure that Calhoun fully embrace that.
I think Ollie is a tremendous recruiter, he's really good at relating with the kids. What he can do in games remains to be seen, especially considering he's only been a "coach" for about 2 or 3 years, and never a head coach.

4 years is not something UConn can afford, especially with the instability of the Big East right now. UConn is a national power right now, and if Ollie is around for 4 years and mediocre throughout (say-- 2 NCAA berths, 1 win total, 2 NIT berths), that could really hurt the UConn brand, and it would be really hard to restore. I don't think they are Indiana in that they could be down for a decade or so (give or take) then return to the national scene with 1 good year; they just don't have the staying power like the Indianas do (not many programs are). I think this year is indeed a free pass for them, but they have to return to the tournament in 2013-2014 or else they risk falling off the map. A few NIT years with Calhoun was no big deal, because you know they would be back at some point; that's not the case now. And the uncertainty with what conference they'll be in hurts also.

I think a 1yr contract isn't the best option, but it may have been the only option. Although a multi-year contract for Ollie would have been favored by most UConn alums, it wouldn't have been smart by Manuel. His whole job depends on this hire, and he can't just hand the job to Ollie because "that's what Calhoun wants"; hey, if Ollie goes 20-12 this year and UConn has some nice wins (they have a tough schedule), give him 2 or 3 more years; if he goes 8-24, he's probably done. Ollie has already said he "wants to retire at UConn like Calhoun", which tells me that he'll agree to any contract that Manuel puts in front of him. I think best case for Ollie: 1 yr contract turns into 2yr contract turns into 10+ year contract.

Not because he went to UConn, but in part. More because of the person he is. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Kevin Ollie. He is passionate, does things the right way. He appeals to my values. I am willing to win and lose with him because of who he is, now because of who he was.
Ok that's legitimate. The dude clearly loves UConn and everything about it, so I hope it works out for him (I just hope he isn't as good as Hopkins)

I think Ollie is a tremendous recruiter, he's really good at relating with the kids. What he can do in games remains to be seen, especially considering he's only been a "coach" for about 2 or 3 years, and never a head coach.

4 years is not something UConn can afford, especially with the instability of the Big East right now. UConn is a national power right now, and if Ollie is around for 4 years and mediocre throughout (say-- 2 NCAA berths, 1 win total, 2 NIT berths), that could really hurt the UConn brand, and it would be really hard to restore. I don't think they are Indiana in that they could be down for a decade or so (give or take) then return to the national scene with 1 good year; they just don't have the staying power like the Indianas do (not many programs are). I think this year is indeed a free pass for them, but they have to return to the tournament in 2013-2014 or else they risk falling off the map. A few NIT years with Calhoun was no big deal, because you know they would be back at some point; that's not the case now. And the uncertainty with what conference they'll be in hurts also.

I think a 1yr contract isn't the best option, but it may have been the only option. Although a multi-year contract for Ollie would have been favored by most UConn alums, it wouldn't have been smart by Manuel. His whole job depends on this hire, and he can't just hand the job to Ollie because "that's what Calhoun wants"; hey, if Ollie goes 20-12 this year and UConn has some nice wins (they have a tough schedule), give him 2 or 3 more years; if he goes 8-24, he's probably done. Ollie has already said he "wants to retire at UConn like Calhoun", which tells me that he'll agree to any contract that Manuel puts in front of him. I think best case for Ollie: 1 yr contract turns into 2yr contract turns into 10+ year contract.

I don't think that Ollie can fall that far. He is going to get super talented players. He is going win at recruiting. He has TONS and TONS and TONS of head coaching experience around him.

I think worse case is he'll be like Steve Lavin at UCLA - always decent but never getting over the hump.

If it turns our Ollie can't recruit, then he might struggle. But I just don't see that.

Read this piece.

Congrat's on your long career in education. It's a well written post, but I just wonder if your retirement transition is comparable to that of a D-1 basketball coach at Calhoun's level. Ollie's a hard worker with NBA experience. He may be able to pick up in recruiting where Calhoun left off (hopefully without cheating this time). That said, even with Blaney and Hobbs still around I'm not sure he wants Calhoun to evaporate and never look back.

Regardless, in the meantime, maybe the UConn fans will for a year or two while the program scrambles back to respectability (nah... they won't).

I don't think that Ollie can fall that far. He is going to get super talented players. He is going win at recruiting. He has TONS and TONS and TONS of head coaching experience around him.

I think worse case is he'll be like Steve Lavin at UCLA - always decent but never getting over the hump.

If it turns our Ollie can't recruit, then he might struggle. But I just don't see that.
Yeah I honestly don't have a reasonable guess on what his record will be, I don't think anyone really does. Sometimes the best recruiters don't necessarily translate into the best coaches, look at Rick Barnes, he's a great recruiter who usually has one of the most talented teams in the country every year, but they fizz out by January. But yes you are right, having Blaney (although I think Blaney has been pretty bad lately when he had to be in the interim when Calhoun was suspended/sick) and Hobbs around will only help Ollie, but ultimately it will be on him.

One UConn Fan's Opinion:

Disagree Ollie is a PR nightmare, his candor and enthusiasm far outweigh his vernacular.

Agree that organizationally there can be problems depending on JC's level of involvement, but in listening to both him and Ollie speak at the press conference I didn't get that impression. Perhaps that article suggests otherwise.

Ollie was essentially a player coach in the NBA for a few years before showing up at UConn. Some of our recent big name recruits can be directly attributed to him and I personally feel he played a large role in Kemba's development his Junior year and the strength of our back court going into this year.

Time will tell.
I think your AD was put into a very difficult position by your Coach Emeritus. I think, that, in turn, Ollie is in a bind, with a contract that expires next April 4. I can't imagine he will be able to recruit at a high level this year given that contract.

Very good post. My only point of contention is the UConn brand and potentially 'falling off the map', in part due to poor performance and Big East instability.

I agree that the Big East football conference is in shambles (obviously) but I think the demise of Big East basketball is greatly exaggerated. There's no doubt that losing Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia and ND hurt, but if any conference could afford to lose 1 elite program (Syr), 2 good programs (Pitt, WVU) and one decent program (ND) it is the Big East.

How many other conferences could lose programs of that stature and still have run out UConn, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova, etc.

The ACC and Big10 may have surpassed the Big East in hoops, but let's not pretend a program with 3 National Titles in the past 13 years is going to turn into UMass (as so many Syr fans like to bust our balls about) after a slight downturn.