I'd like to know when the "hook" became... | Syracusefan.com

I'd like to know when the "hook" became...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
legal? Arachnid had about 5 blatant hooks with his chicken wing near the end of regulation. It was amazing what he was allowed to do while our guys got mugged by Ennis and Pinkston. Unreal.

legal? Arachnid had about 5 blatant hooks with his chicken wing near the end of regulation. It was amazing what he was allowed to do while our guys got mugged by Ennis and Pinkston. Unreal.

They did that all game long, and got away with it.

And its clear that a big portion of their post offense involves lowering their shoulder into guys to gain separation, and then throw it up anticipating the whistle.

When attending the Tony Greene Officiating Academy, you are taught to call games in favor of one team.

As I asked in another thread, WHAT HAS THIS D.O.U.C.H.E.B.A.G. DONE TO BE ABLE TO GET FAVORABLE CALLS FROM THE REFS????

As I asked in another thread, WHAT HAS THIS D.O.U.C.H.E.B.A.G. DONE TO BE ABLE TO GET FAVORABLE CALLS FROM THE REFS????

That's easy, he's a small, hustling white guy ... which, 2/3 of today's crew notwithstanding, a lot of them were when they were players.

One day I would love to just once see a guy haul off and punch a player like Arachnid who constantly hooks and nothing gets called. Put in a scrub to go Michael Graham on someone so that the refs wake up and smell the they created by NOT officiating.

Of course I jest, but I have seen MANY games in my time (CYO) that got out of hand because the refs either called nothing or were so lopsided that one team got sick of the physical abuse and chaos ensued. Those refs let that second half get physical and did not allow Syracuse to fight back. Nova has decent players, but they win with nothing more than glorified YMCA tactics. Try that in the NCAA tournament. Half of Nova would have fouled out come tourney time. And those craptastic flops for charges? Oh dear! I thought for sure they were going to call G for the charge when Ennis undercut him and fell down.

image.jpg

That's easy, he's a small, hustling white guy ... which, 2/3 of today's crew notwithstanding, a lot of them were when they were players.

Hopefully Kaleb will learn from this game that contact near the basket is OK and he needs to take it. Getting all dipsy do only gets your shot blocked. Kris Joseph used to have that same problem until his senior year. He never went strong enough to the hole to draw a foul. We should have been running into Pinkston all game long. I would have put Obokoh in there just to bang Pinkston into the ground.

One day I would love to just once see a guy haul off and punch a player like Arachnid who constantly hooks and nothing gets called. Put in a scrub to go Michael Graham on someone so that the refs wake up and smell the they created by NOT officiating.

Of course I jest, but I have seen MANY games in my time (CYO) that got out of hand because the refs either called nothing or were so lopsided that one team got sick of the physical abuse and chaos ensued. Those refs let that second half get physical and did not allow Syracuse to fight back. Nova has decent players, but they win with nothing more than glorified YMCA tactics. Try that in the NCAA tournament. Half of Nova would have fouled out come tourney time. And those craptastic flops for charges? Oh dear! I thought for sure they were going to call G for the charge when Ennis undercut him and fell down.

Well, the missed call on the "sleighride" is completely inexplicable. But I also think G got the benefit of the doubt on that block/charge decision. Just IMHO of course, and I cold only see what the camera angle revealed.

Hopefully Kaleb will learn from this game that contact near the basket is OK and he needs to take it. Getting all dipsy do only gets your shot blocked. Kris Joseph used to have that same problem until his senior year. He never went strong enough to the hole to draw a foul. We should have been running into Pinkston all game long. I would have put Obokoh in there just to bang Pinkston into the ground.

Agreed, that tentative style of play on out behalf was noticeable throughout most of the 2nd half. But I'm confident they'll learn from this as well.

Boeheim was pleading for a flagrant in the first half when a nova player twice swung his elbows high in one play, the second time nicking Joseph. Refs did not even look to review it.

I know - that was why that little arm extension by G was so infuritating. First, he fouled by the defender before that (on a call I don't expect any ref to make - it was a half-second of contact), and then Archie just dribbles around with the swim move the whole game, and on that final three actually goes full arm extension to clear space. No call each and every time.

Bilas tweeted at one point about how awful one of the charge calls were for Nova.

I do agree with the person above, thought the G call could have gone either way, but at that point I assume they just felt bad that they screwed us for 43 minutes, and gave us a 50/50 call.

Ghost said:
Bilas tweeted at one point about how awful one of the charge calls were for Nova. I do agree with the person above, thought the G call could have gone either way, but at that point I assume they just felt bad that they screwed us for 43 minutes, and gave us a 50/50 call.

It was a charge or a no call. No way was it an and one. The only call all day that went our way of what seemed like 900 50-50 calls.

How Echefu ended up with ZERO PFs is the biggest joke of the season.

The PS reporters, who are always the last to question officiating were so stunned, they were asking fans on twitter if what they were seeing was real.

I bet if u asked Mike and Donna, they'd say it was the most one sided officiating they seen in a long, long time.

It was a charge or a no call. No way was it an and one. The only call all day that went our way of what seemed like 900 50-50 calls.

The PS reporters, who are always the last to question officiating were so stunned, they were asking fans on twitter if what they were seeing was real.

I bet if u asked Mike and Donna, they'd say it was the most one sided officiating they seen in a long, long time.

It was definitely the most one-sided I have seen in just about forever.

Agree by the way, but that's a call that I think is close to 50/50 in college basketball. There is never any rhyme or reason to how it gets called. And at least we got something for it...judging from G's reaction, he seemed sure they called it on him at first.

Questioning officiating is so unseemly, think of what actually had to transpire for Mike / Donna to respond that way, as reporters who professionally cover the game of college basketball.

It was blatantly lopsided, and awful. We got boned.

Last edited:
Make no mistake. The BE just gave SU the finger with today's officiating. The was a BE crew, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom