I'd like to thank the SU Athletic Department | Syracusefan.com

I'd like to thank the SU Athletic Department

SWC75

Bored Historian
I finally got to order my football and basketball tickets five weeks after they sent me the package. And they were nice enough to add an "order fee" of $7.00 to each request. I think it's very nice of them to charge me for the priviledge of buying their product. Of course, I realize that printing up all those tickets and parking passes , (as well as all the other junk they send me), costs money but I was naive enough to think that perhaps that cost was already included in the price of the ticket.

I really don't understand the concept of adding fees unless it related to some tax liability.. As you said state the price of the tickets and charge it.. Adding fees make the buyer cranky.. much like ticketmaster charging for the print at home feature.

Cornell charges me for mailing my tickets to me even though i pick them up at the box office.. Always appreciate that...

It's like the "fuel surcharge" many vendors add on to your bill, or the "shop supplies" the auto repair shops tack on.

I finally got to order my football and basketball tickets five weeks after they sent me the package. And they were nice enough to add an "order fee" of $7.00 to each request. I think it's very nice of them to charge me for the priviledge of buying their product. Of course, I realize that printing up all those tickets and parking passes , (as well as all the other junk they send me), costs money but I was naive enough to think that perhaps that cost was already included in the price of the ticket.
Not surprising at all. I "dealt" with (or tried to) the Carrier Dome Box Office and the Athletic Department about 5-6 weeks ago. Would have been better just banging my head against the wall.

Let's just say my family's 30 year standing as a football season ticket holder has come to and end this upcoming year. And it really has nothing to do with "wins" and "losses" on the field! Can't get an answer to a simple question and was treated very rudely by the dome box office.

The one or two decent home games a year we have we will just walk up on gameday and buy cheap tix for $10 on the street just to get in the door. Find a spot from there. Season ticket holder days are over. The fact they put a $7 fee on top of the cost of the tickets is a joke. I gotta be honest. But I am not surprised by it.

It's like the "gas surcharge" many vendors charge, and the "shop supplies" the auto repair shops started adding on.

I once dined at a restaurant where the check listed, in addition to what I ate, "Food Item $1.98 (or some figure)" I asked them what the "food item" was. They were unable to identify it and graciously removed it from the bill. I'd bet my balls that their next customer had "Food Item $1.98" on his bill, too.

I once dined at a restaurant where the check listed, in addition to what I ate, "Food Item $1.98 (or some figure)" I asked them what the "food item" was. They were unable to identify it and graciously removbed it from the bill. I'd bet my balls that their next customer had "Food Item $1.98" on his bill, too.
When my mom was still alive, I used to regularly stay at a hotel in Webster, which will remain nameless (but it has the number "8" in the name). After returning home after a particular trip, I was looking at the details of my bill, and I noticed a $1 charge for 2 local phone calls, which I didn't make. One my subsequent trip, I looked more closely at my bill when presented at check-out, and sure enough, there was a $1 charge for 2 local phone calls I didn't make. The person at the desk removed the charge when I questioned it, but I wonder how many people got taken? Maybe a maid was using the phone and she thought I wouldn't notice.

I once dined at a restaurant where the check listed, in addition to what I ate, "Food Item $1.98 (or some figure)" I asked them what the "food item" was. They were unable to identify it and graciously removed it from the bill. I'd bet my balls that their next customer had "Food Item $1.98" on his bill, too.

You do know that for every 15 posts on this site, $0.03 is added to your heating bill, right? Heads up.

You do know that for every 15 posts on this site, $0.03 is added to your heating bill, right? Heads up.

No wonder I'm such a cool guy. :confused:

When my mom was still alive, I used to regularly stay at a hotel in Webster, which will remain nameless (but it has the number "8" in the name). After returning home after a particular trip, I was looking at the details of my bill, and I noticed a $1 charge for 2 local phone calls, which I didn't make. One my subsequent trip, I looked more closely at my bill when presented at check-out, and sure enough, there was a $1 charge for 2 local phone calls I didn't make. The person at the desk removed the charge when I questioned it, but I wonder how many people got taken? Maybe a maid was using the phone and she thought I wouldn't notice.

There's a Motel 6 in Webster?

I pay the same fee for Phillies tickets and when I order tickets online.

Nothing unusual about the SU fee.

i have to wonder who invented "hidden fees"-was it the same guy who decided gas should always end at a .9-:noidea:

you would think we should know who it was because we are all effected-

then again i guess he likes it better this way than to live in shame by admitting it was you

I pay the same fee for Phillies tickets and when I order tickets online.

Nothing unusual about the SU fee.

Does "Nothing Unusual" = OK

Or does it simply mean that a lot of sports organzations are doing the same thing to their fans?

Or does it simply mean that a lot of sports organzations are doing the same thing to their fans?
Exactly its a scam!

It's the equivalent to dealers prep...

It's the equivalent to dealers prep...
or $300 "documentation fee". I refused to pay this unless the sales manager was able to explain what it was for, and he couldn't other than "we require it on all sales". There was a separate (legit) charge for the title and vehicle registration. I was ready to walk out when they capitulated.
Folks caught-on to the undercoating and paint coating scams, so the dealers had to get creative, I guess

I guess it means that it's the way things are and who really cares - it's $7 dollars.

It costs that much to have a beer these days.

It's a fee charger's world, and we're just all living in it. If only it just applied to sports tickets.

Exactly its a scam!

Well, I suspect that there are mailing costs, labor costs, printing costs, etc.

I can't get to the point of calling a $7 processing fee a "scam."

Well, I suspect that there are mailing costs, labor costs, printing costs, etc.

I can't get to the point of calling a $7 processing fee a "scam."

And they aren't included in the price of a ticket?

No.

The value of the ticket is the consideration one is willing to pay in order to attend the event.

Are we really going to spend time on a $7 season ticket processing fee?

We are talking about a private University that employs probably thousands, has high ever increasing infrastructure costs, has to support 85 football players, numerous coaches and staff members, and has to compete with better financed institutions.

Why don't you just think of the $7 as a contribution to an entity that provides you with a decent amount of sports entertainment.

Maybe that will ease your concerns.

No.

The value of the ticket is the consideration one is willing to pay in order to attend the event.

Are we really going to spend time on a $7 season ticket processing fee?

We are talking about a private University that employs probably thousands, has high ever increasing infrastructure costs, has to support 85 football players, numerous coaches and staff members, and has to compete with better financed institutions.

Why don't you just think of the $7 as a contribution to an entity that provides you with a decent amount of sports entertainment.

Maybe that will ease your concerns.

When I buy a ticket to Chiefs game, I assume that the cost of the ticket includes the costs of printing it and the salary of the person handing it to me. When I buy a product I assume the price includes the cost of the package and what it costs to transport it to the store. I think the $7 clearly is a contribution to the SU Athletic program- one they decided I should make.

When I buy a ticket to Chiefs game, I assume that the cost of the ticket includes the costs of printing it and the salary of the person handing it to me. When I buy a product I assume the price includes the cost of the package and what it costs to transport it to the store. I think the $7 clearly is a contribution to the SU Athletic program- one they decided I should make.

It likely has to do with the financial settlement at the end of the event.

I can't speak for sporting events, but I can for concerts. With a concert, the face value of the ticket is used as a baseline for a percentage settlement after the show. If an artist is receiving a percentage of the ticket revenue, then the processing fee is not included in the revenue statement and not subject to distribution.

SU may be doing this to keep their revenue numbers low to share less with the opposing team, the Conference, or any number of organizations that get a percentage of ticket revenue. It may be advantageous strictly for internal accounting.

Exactly. It's like going to buy a soda at the concession stands for $3.50. Then you gotta pay another $2.oo on top of that for the cup, ice, and straw! It's a scam!